sharks....

Knot to mention he does chum up large at the time so draws them in from gawd knows where.

Do many here swim at Takapuna beach?? :shock:

No I'm knot kidding.

They have the same problem up at Houhora. People come in and chum up the beach to catch bronzeies bigger than 5m. If i found people doing that while i was swimming I would have a piece of them.

We caught this little fella on Sun. What do reckon is it? Baby school shark? Or Great White? :D

Also landed a few edibles.

Oh and whilst I'm at it here's a mobo tosser who went past too fast too close whilst we were at anchor. Anybody know him? If so, feel free to forward (pic and comment).

031s.jpg

086s.jpg

044s.jpg

the big bastards think my snapper is live bait for them. hooked a couple of them but the softbait rods not quite up to it.

was told a shark was chaising me in the route 66 when i was right on the bow plugging in a sail.

caught a few of those little ones AC. they are more bottom cleaners than proper sharks. sand shark i think

Actually on the topic of sharks, during the mellienium cup we saw a large 2.5-3m shark jump clean out of the water right by bayswater bouy. I think it was a mako. Spotted by at least half our crew.

I didn't think those size sharks would come in that far.

I have often thought of getting the snorkel out and cleaning the hull, but I always thought it would attract big fishes. There are two reasons why I do not like to attract big fishes with sharp teeth.

1. Sitting on my surfboard minding my own business, bam, something hits my leg. Honestly after watching a large grey shadow swim away from me I have experienced the fear of death. I froze like a frozen chicken, I think this is what saved me.

2. Sailing in my OK and a shark jumps out of the water in front of my bow. Sailing upwind in an OK is not the ideal position for the body to be in when this happens. :wave:

I am constantly amused by people who are genuinely surprised that big sharks are sometimes seen in the sea. That's like being surprised when you see a horse in a paddock. Sharks live in the sea people ... they swim, they hunt, they breed, they do their sharky thing in the sea.

We don't often see them when we get in or on the sea because sharks have amazing senses and know all about you before you ever see them when diving or snorkelling. Mostly, sharks don't want anything to do with humans. We don't generally provide any survival advantage to your average shark unless we provide a free feed hanging on the end of a fishing line.

Large bronze whaler sharks have been caught off Beachhaven Wharf in the past. Don't be surprised to see or hear about sharks well up the harbour ... they've been doing it for years.

We had fun with mako this christmas cruise, they arrived when we were cleaning the kingfish we'd just caught. And second hand, I was told about an incident in whangapara just after christmas where a pair of mako took a dead fish off the back of a yacht.

If they were interested in eating humans, there would be 100 fatalities a year. But they ain't, so there's none.

I think the key to it must be that NZ sharks are so well fed that they don't need to resort to desperate measures like eatiung humans.

But in Aus Bronze Whalers are considered dangerous to humans but in NZ they are not. What I want to know is how does a visiting Bronze Whaler know he's in NZ and therefore not to snack on swimmers....?

Guest Rocket

There were so many sharks at one 470 nationals in Nelson that you couldn't go 5 minutes without seeing one - no-one capsized in the one windy race. Ralph Urwin? from Nelson caught one on a handline during the racing and pulled it into his 470. I filleted it on the ramp and he took it home for dinner. 470 sailors 1 Sharks 0. We hit one and he nearly capsized us - the shark came roaring back up at us before swerving off at the last minute - I thought i was dinner as I was the crew in the water. 470 sailors 1 Sharks 1

If the shark that gnawed that guy in Taranaki had been the Taranaki teror he would be in several pieces - it is Huuuuuuge. There is a seal colony at NP - that is where Great Whites go for dinner. I suggest he was nibbled by a particularly persistent Mako or Bronzy - probably the former cos I reckon a bronzy would have run away after one bite whereas Mako's have dynamite for brains.

Hasn't everyone dived with Bronzies in Fiji? They look like real sharks only calmer... They live at just about every NI East Coast beach... I have seen Makos (2m+) jump by Cheltenham plenty of times. I know what they look like as I go gamefishing regularly and have caught quite a few (or rather pulled them to the boat to try and retrieve the $100 lure...)

Guest Rocket

Yep don't swim at dusk or in dirty water if you don't want to be on the menu...

Keep it in perspective though - more dangerous crossing the road to get to the water at that time of nite

By the way the bay by Kauri Point is called Shark Bay for a reason - there are lots of sharks in teh inner harbour - its where they live

I did notice one little interesting detail about the mako which hung around the boats at christmas. We had two yachts , one hanging stern to about 10 ft off ours. Several times they bumped the rudder on the other boat but they ignored mine.....and they also had some exploratory bumps/ taste tests against the prop on my 2 hp( on the dinghy).

Both white. both fishy foil shapes.

...chum up..../quote]

...chum up....

:?:

Chum = large quantities of blood and mashed up fish bits poured into the water to attract sharks. Don't swim in chum or close to, you'll most likely lose body parts.

I've dive with lots of sharks over the years and it's never been a great worry. One real big bugger watching us at the Knights one time which caused a bit of consternation but I think it was just trying to work out what we were.

Last year in a solo drifter 1/2 way between Rangi and Whangaparoa Pen I was sitting by the chain plates in the shade with my feet over the side. Bugger me a 4ft odd nibbler swim under them. The feet were retracted rather fast. The Gulf is chocker with sharks.

Sharks are OK as long as they are well feed and knot pissed off.

Archived