Fiordland

Bimini Babe

You need to stay there till they get to know you, then they stop stinging

No BB, these suckers are not the average sandlfly. These are miniture Vampires. You will be sucked dry to a crisp while they are getting to know you.

I seem to remember some ancients trying to cure patients by removing Blood, and doeses of poisons like Arsenic and Lead.

I seem to remember reading about that is, not actually remember. :wink:

Although I am quite surprised that many bases for special creams for skin alergies etc are made from Parafin or mineral oil. I am quite surprised that mineral oil is still used as "Baby Oil" even today.

I seem to remember some ancients trying to cure patients by removing Blood, and doeses of poisons like Arsenic and Lead.

They even tried to cure syphilis with mercury! :shock:

Man spends his first 20 years on Earth, a couple of minutes on Venus and the rest of his life on Mercury.

Ha don't let the sandflies scare ya off, they're friendly little buggers. Out of the above advice dettol and baby oil is the best. If you use deet, it doesn't matter on the concentration just that is has some. Deet is designed for mossies not sandflies though so it doesn't work that well. None of the herbal/natural repellents work at all. The sandflies do go away after dark so you can sit under the stars worry free. You could try and make some sort of flyscreen for your deck hatches/vents/doorway because you really don't want them inside at dawn.

Rumour has it Te-hine-nui-te-po gave us the sandflies to keep us from being lazy!

I've lived in Milford Sound for ten years and they still bite me but I don't get an itch anymore.

If you decide to cruise Fiordland get a copy of Mana cruising clubs - A boaties guide to Fiordland.

It is a bit out of date but pretty good.

Heres some general tips.

Its not uncommon to have 40kts coming down the narrower fiords on a sunny afternoon.

If it is blowing 30kts outside the fiords it will be blowing 50 inside at the narrow parts.

In the winter it is not uncommon to have 25-30kts SE coming out of the fiords and nothing in between them.

Weather in the winter is more settled, and the sandflies are a lot easier to deal with.

The steep walls create crazy whirly-walls and wind fronts from all directions - even straight up.

Look out for logs, especially if there have been high tides/storms. Some float straight up and down.

Look out for crayfish bouys they can be anywhere.

VHF contact with Taupo doesn't generally work in the fiords.

Fisherman don't bite especially if you feed them beer. They do start work bloody early though if you share an anchorage with them.

The fiords to the north are the steepest and narrowest, the landscape changes gradually to flatter and broader the further south you go.

The northern fiords are more dramatic and remote (except milford) but the southern fiords have more to explore and better anchorages.

Anchorages are generally deep. So have lots of rode.

I see anywhere between 15-30 cruising yachts every year. So its pretty quiet.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Its a beautiful place that you will never forget if you visit, I moved into Fiordland National Park when I was 18 to save some cash to go overseas. I'm 29 and still here.

Cool. Helpful post and info. Sounds a bit of a handful though. I mean one of those vertical fiordland gusts is just gonna blow the rum out of my glass quicker than I can drink it, right? And I drink it pretty damn quick.

Wonder how it compares to other fiords e.g. Scandanavia?

Has anyone tried the "water bag" trick on the South Island sand flies... ? :?: You seem em all over Florida in outdoor bistros, cafes, etc..

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7707392_water ... llent.html

Tortured by the really voracious Canadian stable flies out on the Great Lakes, some sailors even hang the bags from their lifelines. Desperate people will try most anything :D

I have only seen a little of it, but I have to say it has to be the most wild and beautiful place on earth. It's remoteness and ruggedness is what makes it so breathtaking. In fact Milford is partly ruined by the number of Tourists, but then, everyone should have a chance of seeing at least some of it. It has to surely the only place on Earth that looks so different in different weather and so increadible whether it is raining or not. And man can it rain.

And to give you an idea of how wild and rugged the place is, they are still trying to find Moose and still believe they may exist, yet no one has actually definitively seen one yet.

Cool. Helpful post and info. Sounds a bit of a handful though. I mean one of those vertical fiordland gusts is just gonna blow the rum out of my glass quicker than I can drink it, right? And I drink it pretty damn quick.

considered similar to Patagonia

Archived