Winter Series

johnMi

As the waterfront rumours have it, three boats are going to say stuff the 8.5 rule and increase mast height - so if we split the divisions, which one will theses boats go in?

As to safety, Taeping had half the harbour to pull away into with no boats there, and elected to touch the mark as opposed to missing it all together. Paddy O ( who didn't see it ) said that 888 and taeping were too close and this was too dangerous. This was not the case.

Lets all toughen up and keep the spectical watched by so many (that comments come back from) going, as this is the only way we will get enough boats to warrant two starts.

I reckon stay with the one start, if you're too scared to mix it with the bigger boats, keep out of the way, and start later. :angel: :angel:

Err... yea that was my tatic... all well planned...get in irons right at the start and wait until the big boys had got through! :lol:

Hey ... don't get too attached to that $100 John! :twisted:

the majority of the 8.5's back a separate 8.5 start -and have already pitched to the NZMYC race committee for it. It is a crazy situation where a 24foot day sailing tri is racing against a 60foot transatlantic racing tri. You dont see the shaw 6.5's racing against Wired do you? -and neither of those fleets are especially big. it is just a matter of time before a split - either of the fleet or through the middle of some smaller multi by G3/SD/888!

Be interesting to see how SD can split a boat when it's not even racing. As far as the split start goes then yes, perhaps the time has come however for the last season the 8.5's entry list has been pretty lean, all talk no action. A quick look at the summer results show that apart from Deeds, Attitude and latterly Lucifer there hasn't been a lot of consistency in 8.5 fleet numbers.

Also splitting the fleet on size (8.5/open) will do little to make the racing closer. The top 8.5's are often right up there with the top open boats. The keelboats of which you give an example are not split on length but on speed. That is why you won't see a 6.5 mixing it with wired. You won't see woolley jumper mixing it with wired either. The gap between taeping and hyper will be just as big as the gap between deeds and putiki so all you are doing is creating 2 unequal fleets instead of one. What you are doing is running a zigzag knife through the fleet under the pretence of creating closer racing but acheiving the reverse.

This is a great post by SD.

One day when we really have lots of boats the fleet will need to be split.

the fast division will probably need to do a longer course than the slow division.

I'm pretty sure the top 8.5's will get to choose which division they'd rather race in.

At the moment a bunch of open boats provide the top 8.5's with their toughest and closest competition and at the end of the day that raises every ones game.

I'm pretty sure the top 8.5's will get to choose which division they'd rather race in.

At the moment a bunch of open boats provide the top 8.5's with their toughest and closest competition and at the end of the day that raises every ones game.

Glad we are agreed that the 8.5's are tops! :D

..I'll put up an extra $100 and anybody else who does the same can be involved. Winner takes all. If winner not involved, the highest placegetter gets it all.

Well that raises the stakes! I like the cut of yer jib John! :D

I'm in ... what the hell! :thumbup:

so how did your bet go John??

Well Matty

I believe Clive has got himself the $100 wagered for .

Congratulations Clive, and well done.

I will get it to you in due course.

It was a good series, and a good variety of conditions, but I'm mildly surprised that not more of the multihullers don't have confidence in their abilities. If we had had 5 or 6 players, Clive would have made quite a good haul, helping him to maybe upgrade his rig.

Maybe next time.....

.... Clive would have made quite a good haul, helping him to maybe upgrade his rig.

Maybe next time.....

I love my rig! :D

good times eh John ... thought you were going to take it at one point!

Archived