Epoxy and bulb keel bolts

Part of the idea of the old one's large flat (ish) surface is to reduce fore and aft pitching. It will be interesting to see if you notice a difference with that...

Looks like a great job! :D

So no small wings to stop Vortex???

Angle of attack has a lot to do with bulb vortex, I'm at +2 degrees, hopefully enough. Although that's in a test tank - no waves, and a constant attitude......

EE

what ya on about Smithy? you mean your sail designs aren't tested in a wind tunnel?

tank testing is just a scale model and a bath tub.

hull shape is already there. appendage already there. just tweaking above the waterline for us

"does anyone know the idea behind the fuggen horrible looking things? is it so you can stand up on the beach when the tide goes out?"

Was a fashion in the late 70's early 80's. I remember sailing (once) on Future Shock and one of the regular crew described the "jandal" as a like a shovel and told how when surfing down waves the shovel's negative angle of attack and big area would pull the whole front of the boat under water until its bouancy brought it back out. Very scary apparently (and slow??).

Timb

Yes Grinna, you did see a bulb on a trailer down at Z pier.....

So the process was.... Trailer bulb to westhaven on new trailer, insert fin and connect hydraulics, lift bulb off new trailer (background) onto blocks, lift Energy (from old trailer foreground) over bulb and insert studs, align, tighten, epoxy injection into voids around studs, retighten with torque wrench, run to old trailer, cut skids off with sabresaw, tech screw to new trailer, lift keel to refill hydraulic ram and test, hover over new trailer and adjust. Game-over.

It all went pretty smoothly albeit stressful lifting boats.... just need to glass and fair the joint.

EE

post-903-141887196137.jpg

post-903-141887196138.jpg

post-903-14188719614.jpg

Looks great EE, but that big carbon anchor on the bow??? :lol:

Thanks Grinna/Squid.

Things to note -

- it is always easier to swing the prod out of the way when lifting on and off trailers - bob-stays get caught on everything

- changing a bulb and trailer in the same motion has too many variables - quite tricky, we got lucky

- the keel is not right down in pic 1, another 150mm to go :D Note SSANZ sponsors decal on new trailer!

- the 'TimW' method of bulb attachment is the way to go - wax studs, slightly oversize holes, align, tighten, tighten again and epoxy injection around

studs which in effect forms a bearing onto the lead. Used a 4.5mm cross drilled hole to inject the studs until full.

- the guys at Hiab Transport are awesome - lifted Energy twice and Black Fun twice with them and they are great, the cordless remote Hiab is a bonus and incredibly accurate

- its amazing how a project like this can use just about every tool in a workshop!

yes the jandal was a scary thing when i was very young (round 6-8yrs old) i raced on the E 10.5 crocodile was a good keel until you got to around 16knts then hold on folks all hell broke loose bow went down boat fell over when murray changed the keel was one different boat only lay the boat over every other race and was doing alot more speed :lol:

looking good EE keep us informed how it goes :thumbup:

Very pretty EE - spare a thought for poor Southbound and her jandal this year in the Simrad!

Interested in you going for 400kg - good call in my opinion as 420 on the jandal is so stiff, I don't think you will miss the extra 20 kg!

Who did you get to build the new trailer? Ours is about ready for a birthday....

Cheers Sleepy,

I bought a big (22-24 foot) fizz nasty trailer that would fit the hull profile then cut the gutts out of it t accommodate the new keel and fabricated up the channel section for the bulb then had it galved. With the bulb she sits 180mm higher on the trailer so I also built the worlds longest telescopic drawbar extension so I can get the trailer in nice and deep without dunking the car and still float on/off by myself.

It started out as one of these - http://www.xpresstrailers.co.nz/BOAT+TRAILERS/Tandem+Axle+Boat+Trailers/22-24ft+-+Heavy+Duty.html but a lot less than that price as I specified no rollers, brakes or lights and we did a bit of a deal... I didn't want to maintain brakes as she only ever does 100m across the car-park and back at Westhaven and if I want to take her somewhere I'll hire a medium size truck rated to 2 tonne unbraked towing capacity.

Stuff trying to tow an E7.4 around the country with the car and it happens so infrequently that's a better option than paying for brakes that will be rooted in a couple of years anyway. No big deal to hire a Mitsi Canter or similar for a day to go pick her up after a Coastal or suchlike if that's the chosen option.

There will be no mercy in SIMRAD sorry!

EE

Shakedown cruise today, all good.

She is a rocket and all systems functioning as they should which is a miracle given how much has been done. New bulb, hydraulic keel ram rebuild, board re-shimmed, new halyards all round, new main-sheet and super, super Gucci endless jib sheet (thx KM), jumpers, running topmast backstays, engine mounts for outboard and a completely new trailer which actually fits and you can launch single-handed at low, low tide.

The new Evolution carbon squaretop is really nice - thanks Rodney. We did have a reef in today for most of it and shook that out as it backed off a bit around 2pm. We used to reef at 25kts now probably somewhere around 20, we were pretty cautious today. 'The Hum' is almost gone and is now more of a flutter thanks to some tricky-dicky trailing edge beveling which is a bonus.

Very happy with what has been a much longer reno job than anticipated but worth taking the time and doing it properly.

TimW, thanks for the quiet advice on the bulb install - your way is best and epoxy is good, KM thanks for the innovative super Gucci cordage, Bart and the boys at NZ Rigging and Rodney at Evolution for one very nice new main.

Cheers

EE

Shakedown cruise today, all good.

She is a rocket and all systems functioning as they should which is a miracle given how much has been done. New bulb, hydraulic keel ram rebuild, board re-shimmed, new halyards all round, new main-sheet and super, super Gucci endless jib sheet (thx KM), jumpers, running topmast backstays, engine mounts for outboard and a completely new trailer which actually fits and you can launch single-handed at low, low tide.

The new Evolution carbon squaretop is really nice - thanks Rodney. We did have a reef in today for most of it and shook that out as it backed off a bit around 2pm. We used to reef at 25kts now probably somewhere around 20, we were pretty cautious today. 'The Hum' is almost gone and is now more of a flutter thanks to some tricky-dicky trailing edge beveling which is a bonus.

Very happy with what has been a much longer reno job than anticipated but worth taking the time and doing it properly.

TimW, thanks for the quiet advice on the bulb install - your way is best and epoxy is good, KM thanks for the innovative super Gucci cordage, Bart and the boys at NZ Rigging and Rodney at Evolution for one very nice new main.

Cheers

EE

Sounds like alot of new toys you have there :thumbup: sounds like a good day on the water, you will have to come to weiti some time for a few races :wave:

Archived