Permanentlt Mounted Outboards

Changed

Doable but only if you have a motor with a grunty bottom end. Mine's a 15hp Mariner Bigfoot we cut n tucked into a saildrive with a lightweight folding prop. Only problem is we don't get a reverse, whether it's pitch or just the weight that won't open it in reverse I dunno. Never bothered about it, we just meander up to the marina and pull the boat in backwards as it doesn't weigh anything.

Handcrafted by Gordon at Craftmaster out at Yachtspars site, I'll dig his card out later if you want to talk to him.

You're welcome to come and have a squiz at my setup anytime

Would like to get the outboard off the back and am looking to achieve a poor mans sail drive. Have thought about a wet box but am a little short in depth (bottom of hull to top of cockpit seats) and if I mount it so that it folds once lifted then it takes up too much room. Also looked at an inboard diesel but costs exceed the value of the boat. Have seen a small sail drive that uses an outboard head but outrageously priced.

Ah ha. In the same place myself and with a slightly bigger cockpit.

I'm building a new cockpit which will mean a slightly higher floor and I'm going to be able to get the OB, via folding rather than lifting, just about under it, miss by about 100mm. But hopefully I'll be able to get a cover over that anyway. I can get a 8hp under completely but are trying to get the 9.9 big propped grunter to fit as well.

Lightfoot was looking at doing something where he got a small diesel and a variation of a stern leg. Sounded a bit away from normal but rather cunning. I'll suss to find out more. It might be handy to have a chat with him for your project TM. Stand by.

Mine's in a real engine box and bolted to the floor - real saildrive set up. 15hp for 36 kg

Lightest diesel I found was the 13hp Lombardini at around 118kg

Tho if I did it again - or if it was done commercially, I'd go the diesel as after you cut n tuck someones outboard they're highly unlikely to look favourably on any kind of warranty iss yew

Pretty neat tho

Check out Boating NZ from April 07, page 42

The owner of the Ross 650 Sunset Sam (in Westhaven trailer park) has built a very tidy engine system under the floor of his boat that would be worth checking out.

From memory of about a year ago:

He has a well at the back of the cockpit, like a 930, and the engine hinges forward, turns 90 degrees and fits under the normal cockpit floor. I think it had a water tight door and bilge pump to remove any excess water.

I was very impressed on the system for such a small boat.

Hey TM, I know New Force had a saildrive fitted many years ago - don't know if it is still there. I think he used an outboard engine on a saildrive type arrangement but I am talking many years ago now, so I wouldn't rely on my memory to be exact.

No its been riped out and the baot has an outboard. Old and no parts available apparently. Think mine had the same once as the sd bed is still there. That type of unit is available still using a Honda 4 stroke powerhead but is a tade over $7k US plus the prop. Nice and light though.

Check out Boating NZ from April 07, page 42

I have a pdf version of what is probably that article - don't even remember where I downloaded it from! Never been able to figure out how to attach files to PMs but if you PM me with an email address, more than happy to send it through to anyone who is interested.

Yes Wal I was looking although just dreaming on the price front. :thumbup:

Thinking about the first question, I've got a 27hp Yanmar saildrive with folding prop and can't really see why the same type prop couldn't be fitted to an outboard. Probably hub and splines would be different but maybe centre can be drilled out and a suitable insert made to fit the outboard or if made in N.Z the manufacturer could spline to suit. Might be a bit heavier than standard o/b prop but there are probably also lighter folding props around. How about getting an engineer to machine up a hub and then make blades from carbon fibre?

New Force was a Honda 8HP outboard head on a Volvo saildrive. Sort of similar to this http://www.saildrive.se/eng/eng_index.htm.

There was a folding prop installed & reverse was a dream. Kevin Peet before me showed the boat lost nothing in being competative & so long as you were not into smoking down below always seemed to be a good place to keep the engine!

Now you're talking! Thanks JK

15hp for 50kg is bloody good going

My boat has absolutely no fumes below as the fuel tank is in the cockpit locker and all my fuel lines/connections are well sealed. The only time I had fumes below (and they were minimal, more of a faint whiff of "'ang on - that smells like petrol?) was when I had the line from the tank had a tiny hole in it

Archived