Permanentlt Mounted Outboards

Changed

Saw the Animal Farm has just done some nice rebuild work of relocating outboard to a lifting central wetbox and new cockpit.... I think they may be a nice referance point for KM's potential project....

Nice looking mods for a 930 revamp if anyone has seen her.

Animal Farm? That name rings a bell. Wasn't it Murray Ross's own boat when it was new? Think at some stage it may have been renamed Tantivvey and painted green and had a Noelex 30 stick in it when I raced on it for a few years at Bucks. It had a Sole diesel engine bunged in the cabin in front of the mast running through a vee drive. It was pretty shabby by the time my mate sold it but I saw it a while later in Tauranga looking really good and renamed back to the original name. That Animal Farm?

Yeah, that one. Now looking rather sexy and even a new rig.

The more I shape my new cockpit the more the outboard is going in a up/down well rather than a tilt well. Just seems the smarter option.

The Ant used to have a 15 hp outboard in a vertical well at the front of the cockpit. Apparently it went well, although I believe that fumes coming at you from upwind are unpleasant. The previous owner repowered the Ant with a Kubota 22 hp diesel and shat and said there was no appreciable difference in performance. Plus you get the benefit of better battery charging, less noise, much lower fuel costs and extended motoring range. Go on KM do it right, do it once!

The previous owner repowered the Ant with a Kubota 22 hp diesel and shat and said there was no appreciable difference in performance.

Interesting turn of phrase the guy had, no doubt accurate though.

I thought I'd grabbed a pic of the cockpit as well when I was there for KM- However must have deleted it... Looks quite sexy- However must be pretty dark down below with the windows blanked out!

Saw her out the other day- so must be nearly ready to hit a start line......?

post-1784-141887158831_thumb.jpg

post-1784-141887158845_thumb.jpg

Geez Murky I didn't even see that! And I can't even edit it to correct it, although knowing the previous owner quite well, it probably is what he did. :lol:

Obviously Crew.org spell check doesn't understand past tense spelling of the vernacular!

Been on board. Mint. Plenty of light and no leaks. Beautiful paint job inside (sprayed) with varnished accents. Imagine the added strength when the windows are filled.

Pretty sure that Balllistic, another 930 based in Tauranga, has the outboard lifting vertically at the forward end of the starboard side of the cockpit.

Off to one side in a 930?? That's a big call, the bloody things develop a heel if you shift a stubbie off the centre line.

I'm going midships right at the front of the cockpit. I've worked out if I take the extension out of the leg so it's a short shaft again it'll fit very nice thank you. Also being forward any pitching in nasty waves won't.. or shouldn't be an issue. Down the back using a short shaft has the prop coming out too much in slop, no worries at all with a long shaft though.

The existing motor hole will become part of an insulated Thirst-Aid locker and liferaft park :thumbup:

I'm going for the same option. Have looked at all the others and cost vs performance the outboard in a well is the best option. I can get a short shaft 8 in with a 300mm bridge deck. The only challenge I have is that the sail drive bed is still in place. How do you get that out? Looks like a hell of a lot of grinding.

However you do it you will be finishing with a grinder.

you could try and chisel through the glass taping to remove it then grind up the mess, but don't go through the hull.

If i didn't have to turn on the other computor copy the photos to a memory stick then change back to this I would post some photos of the positive touch change over - diesel, back to outboard in a well.

If this threads going in a week I will have the other computor plumed up properly in the new abode

We put an up down 15hp in the Karma and its pretty simple the operation and how its fitted but we stripped as much as we could off the engine like the mounting bracket tilting crap and save a stack load of weight

Cheers

Gappy

How does yours operate Gappy. Manual lift up/down or do you have some cunning other way?

Foot on bottom of OB to close the hole when up or some other cunning way?

Haven't quite worked those 2 things out yet.

You have any plan on those points TM?

And jump in Gazza, having been there done that.

I have really sharp idea for the trap door but haven't seen anyone else use it!! The trap on the motor needs to come through the boat when you need to remove the motor. On one I looked at the trap fitted neatly against a flang bu you have to draw the boat to get at the motor.

the shaw set up is very clean and simple upstairs ( note I haven't seen the bootom set up )

All that I have looked at are rope and pully for up n down.

CU had an interesting well set up slightly fwd in the cockpit, abit like the nolex / ross set up - when motor was parked it was totally under the cockpit floor - it was painfull to use though.

I have fired up the desk top and will do the stick thing.

Waka has a good set up, where the hull plate is conected to the motor carrier, this means that thi motor can be raised high for flushing.

PT wanted the hull plate to recess into the hull so it was a little more complicated to make but worked very well.

photos pending

Flush the motor?????? That's just crazy talk. It gets flushed with new salt-water every time I use it, surely that's plenty :D

String up and down. Crap, why didn't I think that simple. Hydraulics out now. I am astounding myself with my our stupidity more and more of late :?

Archived