Permanentlt Mounted Outboards

Changed

Oh Mr Squid.

Can you drop this thread in the 'good shite kept for further reference' area :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Could be handy for many others I suspect.

Oh another well question - Do people vent them to get clean air in and exhaust out? or do they just open the lid when it's running?

KM, I've seen both. As said earlier the Ant used to have an outboard in a well. The old aluminium lid was given to me with the boat. It had lots of holes drilled in it to let air in/exhaust fumes out. Other boats have had ss louvres fitted on the vertical bits of the box to do the same job. You could just crack the lid a bit to get air in/exhaust out, and the first time you forget will be when you are motoring out through the wall at Westhaven and a 3.4 m tide is running full tit and you won't know why it stopped!

I like the size of the well on PT. I'm going to taper mine a little to give a bit of space around th power head. Some I have seen have parallel sides which makes the motor very tight at the top but miles of room around the leg. I wish there was a way of turning the powerhad 90 degrees. Would be easier to reduce the for and aft room needed fro the powerhead.

Sorry guys been on the road for work

The Karma has a central block and tackle w3hich pull the motor up and down ou plate on the bottom of the motor is fixed to the skeg with two small bolts through the skeg the plate is triangular in shape and the edges are taper at 45 which fit the hull which also has a 45 on it as we really wanted it to lock to the hull when it was up. Yes you do need to don some dive gear to remove the bolts if you ever need to pull it but didn;t see it as a biggy at the stage we could and ad been talked of putting an inspection port in the front of the well that was above waterline which we could open and then remove the bolts through that.

Oh and KM we flush our motor as well just put the hose in the well and it fills up and seems to work pretty well doesn;t get all the salt out but gets most of it I would say

Cheers

Gappy

Archived