Another question for cruisers

Here is another option the Shoalcraft 30 a friend has one moored in the Mahurangi. They have a bit of a Townsend look and quite a big rig. It sails well and can be beached.

And surprisingly roomy for it's length as well. Quite a cool boat with the no water ability.

The issue with the bilge and tripple keelers is the larger wetted surface, and small , low aspect foils. Neither is good for performance, hence their sailing reputation.

The NZ scows, though, were a work of art (IMO). Great load carrying capability, regularly loaded while dried out, shallow draft, and masses of sail. They went places that most modern sailors only dream about, and were NZ's main rural load carriers for quite some time. And yes they used leeboards. I'm not sure how efficiently they sailed - but it can't have been too bas seeing what they did!

the NZ scow was a result of the Micklejohns (spelling) living and building around the great lakes area of canada/ usa, first examples they built up mahurangi way were certainly dead ringers for these including lee boards. As NZ coastal shipping is mostly open ocean coasting the lee boards were dropped rather quick smart to be replaced by one or two and on occasion 3 centreboards (not pivoting centre casings) they were reamarkable for their seagoing qualities and funnily enough the ability to beat to weather fully laden performance was as expected not so flash but about even with a fully laden bedford truck in its day. ability to load beached was legendary particularly the shape the hull took on while beached, had a chat with Dave Scurms about this years ago and he reckoned bringing the "Owhiti" back from tonga was like sailing a wharram......it sort of flowed with the waves....centre board arrangment along with the ability to lower the rudder meany plenty of laeral plane as well as the ability to "balance"the helm ie , it'd almost steer itself. My old man was on the Älma"in the very late 40's and moved onto the "Endeavor"which did the coastal lighthouses of northland in the early fifties it was ketch rigged and although powered often sailed quicker. Beginning of last century the Biddicks (farmed either mission bay or kohimarama) had 3 scows built that were a tad different, very slight athwartship vee to the hull along with chine planks ( full length bilge keels??) . These proved quick enough to get them tossed out of the anniversary regatta scow races and into the trading schooners etc where they also cleaned up.

As a cruising format they do have advantages but need to be big enough to over come hull suction with rig power however fully rigged they do look superb and I keep hoping someday to see another launched

The issue with the bilge and tripple keelers is the larger wetted surface, and small , low aspect foils. Neither is good for performance, hence their sailing reputation.

The NZ scows, though, were a work of art (IMO). Great load carrying capability, regularly loaded while dried out, shallow draft, and masses of sail. They went places that most modern sailors only dream about, and were NZ's main rural load carriers for quite some time. And yes they used leeboards. I'm not sure how efficiently they sailed - but it can't have been too bas seeing what they did!

the NZ scow was a result of the Micklejohns (spelling) living and building around the great lakes area of canada/ usa, first examples they built up mahurangi way were certainly dead ringers for these including lee boards. As NZ coastal shipping is mostly open ocean coasting the lee boards were dropped rather quick smart to be replaced by one or two and on occasion 3 centreboards (not pivoting centre casings) they were reamarkable for their seagoing qualities and funnily enough the ability to beat to weather fully laden performance was as expected not so flash but about even with a fully laden bedford truck in its day. ability to load beached was legendary particularly the shape the hull took on while beached, had a chat with Dave Scurms about this years ago and he reckoned bringing the "Owhiti" back from tonga was like sailing a wharram......it sort of flowed with the waves....centre board arrangment along with the ability to lower the rudder meany plenty of laeral plane as well as the ability to "balance"the helm ie , it'd almost steer itself. My old man was on the Älma"in the very late 40's and moved onto the "Endeavor"which did the coastal lighthouses of northland in the early fifties it was ketch rigged and although powered often sailed quicker. Beginning of last century the Biddicks (farmed either mission bay or kohimarama) had 3 scows built that were a tad different, very slight athwartship vee to the hull along with chine planks ( full length bilge keels??) . These proved quick enough to get them tossed out of the anniversary regatta scow races and into the trading schooners etc where they also cleaned up.

As a cruising format they do have advantages but need to be big enough to over come hull suction with rig power however fully rigged they do look superb and I keep hoping someday to see another launched

oops, biddicks "scows"were the vindex, Vesper and Vixen

I've been looking at the CD of the NIS boats, they are seriously cool, particularly the ones with the free standing rigs, makes the stayed rigs look primitive.

I have just posted something about Maurice Griffiths designs.Some of these may suit your needs,I know the Golden Hind has been sailed succesfully with a junk rig.I have similar thoughts to you about what I need/want although more inclined to go for a stayed rig.However the NIS series seem to be alright by all accounts.Jon

Here's my list

1) Keep it small, get the smallest boat you can get away with , not the biggest you can afford - costs go up as a cube of length.

2) Have less "stuff". Expensive to run stuff like a watermaker, a generator, fridge freezer, HF radio. electronics. hot water tank, holding tank, more than one toilet, well, you get the idea.

3) Eliminate expensive items that need regular replacement.- anything made of sunbrella, canvas dodgers are expensive and don't last long in the tropics, make one out of a couple of skins of plywood and chuck some paint on it. In fact I'd like a boat with no canvas work anywhere.

Standing rigging - this is part of the reason I like unstayed rigs.

A hard dinghy with oars and sail over an inflatable with outboard

4) give up on the shiny boat syndrome - paint it yourself and live with the results.

Why don't you just buy Suburban Reptile? :D

Here's my list

1) Keep it small, get the smallest boat you can get away with , not the biggest you can afford - costs go up as a cube of length.

2) Have less "stuff". Expensive to run stuff like a watermaker, a generator, fridge freezer, HF radio. electronics. hot water tank, holding tank, more than one toilet, well, you get the idea.

3) Eliminate expensive items that need regular replacement.- anything made of sunbrella, canvas dodgers are expensive and don't last long in the tropics, make one out of a couple of skins of plywood and chuck some paint on it. In fact I'd like a boat with no canvas work anywhere.

Standing rigging - this is part of the reason I like unstayed rigs.

A hard dinghy with oars and sail over an inflatable with outboard

4) give up on the shiny boat syndrome - paint it yourself and live with the results.

Why don't you just buy Suburban Reptile? :D

He couldn't afford it, legends don't come cheap :lol:

But I have no problem with the stuff above. Way too many people want a floating apartment rather than a boat. Why bother spending the coin to buy and then more to maintain when it's only 'pretty' rather than structural and/or mission critical, is my theory. So everything on SR works and works very well, requires minimal maintenance hence on going costs.

The lack of top coat does annoy the crap out of some people but then I don't care as it's knot structural. The funny bit is many bitch about my boat, that does around 1000mls a year, and their does Westhaven to Issy Bay twice a year as they don't have the time to use it due to spending so much time polishing, fixing maintenance dramas and working to pay for it all.

But I would like the paint done and it will be happening around May/June by the looks.

All comes down to what you need verses what you want and I'd suggest many many people get very confused as to which is which on their boat. We see it at work often. people skimping on essential gear just to make sure they have the coin to get the more important flat screen telly........ or pay the $2000 for a tank of gas.

Our cruiser will be minimalist as well. KISS = keep it simple sailors.

All well and good KM but ultimately we all die and everyone knows that the one who dies with the most toys wins.

I should be in with a chance then as I do like my toys.

But I am well aware at where the toy verse mission critical line is, it appears a lot don't.

Mission critical wins the race everytime and that, my learned colleges, is why I and people who think like I, will be around to collect a pile more toys before we clock out or at least that is my current plan.

That toy verse actually important gear line does seem to be getting less and less solid in many cruisers eyes over the last few years. And with that is the budget pressure and bitching about gear cost increases I do think many would be well advised to sit down and just work out what exactly is important and what is more just a toy.

This is my idea of a simple cruiser.

Call me old fashioned but I'm still addicted to the idea of bells and whistles.....albeit in an understated classical sort of way.post-10619-141887157223.jpg

This is my idea of a simple cruiser.

Call me old fashioned but I'm still addicted to the idea of bells and whistles.....albeit in an understated classical sort of way.[attachment=0]Beaut!.jpg[/attachment]

Yes. The handler on the boat at the Boatshow quoted US$1m.

They are the 'ideal cruiser' if your idea of a cruise is an overnight romp with a pretty bird - possibly even a weekend. They are basically day sailers; a trophy purchase for someone with a nice multi million dollar seaside property with private docking somewhere on the New England seaboard.

Thast said, they are bloody nice.

I have been having an email conversation with John Welsford, he has shown me preliminary drawings of a 40fter that draws 0.7m, layout to suit a couple long term cruising, he says faster than an AWB everywhere but uphill, cheap to operate due to not having lots of stuff, plus some other nice things (drop the mast single handed in a minute - no crane needed). And he estimates could be built for 40% the cost of an imported AWB of similar proportions.

We're still fussing with the details.

Archived