Nova 28

Nice call BM.

The Ravens have always been a bit under rated in my books. A truck load of room, they sail OK and better than most seem to give them credit for. The prices sure are sharp for what you get. But I must admit to thinking they are a tad ugly. I believe the class or owners association is alive and well, that's good.

Agree with KM. I was recently looking at a similar budget boat, and kept coming back to the Raven, just could not quite get over the ugly bit but a great stable relatively quick boat with tons of room.

Me, well I got greedy when I saw a Cav 32 for sale

One of my crew brought one to cruise, just before Christmas. They love it - and it was in good condition with all the bells. Only criticism is that the quarter berths are a short of room if you want to do more than sleep on your back!!

Aren't we doing well...... on the wrong boat :)

Just had a suss and are now over Ravens and back onto Novas.

Nova's, hell yes why knot. Usually good solid beasts, knot that quick but handle nasty weather well. I'm a bit surprised they are going for that cheap though. There's one on Trade Me for 6K, sure it needs work but that's sharp. The most expensive is 30K and a good looker.

The Nova wins by a nose for me only because it's knot as ugly as a Raven. I know 'ugly' isn't a hugely valid reason for knot liking a boat but for the same bucks I'd be leaning more Nova I think.

Novas had a range of cabin top styles too ( 6 if the sailplan was right) - you may find one you can stand up in

But 6'2" in a 28 footer is a bit of an ask

Never had that problem meself :wink:

In there with ya on that Wal.

Hell, I can even stand up in a 930. And who said smoking was all bad :lol: :lol:

6" 2" is a big ask for many under 30ft.

That's either one big 3yo or one short TS :lol:

I'd say it's a full on buyers market at the moment so have a crack at screwing whomever when the time comes DH, you just never know what you may get away with.

Novas had a range of cabin top styles too ( 6 if the sailplan was right) - you may find one you can stand up in

But 6'2" in a 28 footer is a bit of an ask

Never had that problem meself :wink:

Wal could stand up in a piedy cabin :P

We owned a Nova 28' for a few years.It was 1 of the grp models. It was our first keeler. At the time our 2 children were quite young. She proved to be a good choice for us as she was stable, had a reasonable turn of speed for her size, was easily managed and handled some bad weather in the Cook Strait very well. ( our worst crossing in the Nova it was blowing a recorded 45 kts with a 3 metre swell and breaking seas). So we would highly recommend them.

Knot Me is knot wrong - I just heard of a very tidy Farr 9.2 changing hands for 1/2 the initial asking price. Definitly a good time to buy.

which one tuffy, Im thinking about looking at Champers they are asking 53k?

Knot Me is knot wrong - I just heard of a very tidy Farr 9.2 changing hands for 1/2 the initial asking price. Definitly a good time to buy.

which one tuffy, Im thinking about looking at Champers they are asking 53k?

Im not sure of its name, but it was up Wangarei way and changed hands for low 30k's. It had a new diesel inboard in her from what I recall, and a new pro paint job.

Any insight into the good points and bad points of this class of boat? All input would be welcome.

I had a Nova for just over a year. Was my first boat It was only launched in 91 so a bit newer than most. I loved it and always felt really safe in it and it had 6' head room - although I'd agree that it's not exactly fast but certainly reliable. When I was looking I found this guy's info quite helpful.

http://users.actrix.co.nz/alderwick/

True, but it has passed the reserve at $40k so there is no turning back, which is kind of cheap for a relatively late model 35/36footer if the bidding did not take off. Still, at least he knows it is sold now & it has been on the market for ages so maybe a 100% of the lesser amount is better than nothing.

They could be in strife JK. Seen a couple of boats/flash cars sell hell cheap due to timing issues. Like I need coin NOW!

Brought a house like that. Listed Monday for 385K and I paid 250K on the Wednesday. Found out afterwards the dude needed big coin on the Friday, he had little options. But to be fair I only made a silly offer to get a somewhat keen real estate dude off my back. I was surprised at the result as he was, until we found out why.

I think we are seeing a fair bit of gear being sold the same way for the same reason at the moment. Also a lot more to come I suspect.

The other one that is starting to appear is boats developing a problem around the $10k mark or more (e.g. engine) simply being laid up because the owners can't afford to go ahead with the repair.

About this time you imagine the insurance companies go on to high alert.

Archived