Costa Concordia

http://www.freep.com/article/20120114/N ... |FRONTPAGE

Lots of daylight pics - includes showing hole in port side with a huge rock hanging out - looks like a similar set of circumstances to Mikhail Lermantov

Ship only launched 5 years ago - deteails her http://www.costacruisesasia.com/pao/cos ... ordia.html

Just what the wife didn't want to read with us going a cruise in 4 weeks time :crazy:

I understand that they may have been doing a "sail past" of the port of Giglio whereby they sail past close in shore and buzz them with their fog horns. The captain apparently wasn't on the bridge at the time, rather he was in the ball room having dinner with an important guest.

Almost looks like they lost control of the ship.

It will be very interesting to see what comes out in the investigation. Anyone with any actual knowledge is keeping schtum. All the reports I've read have come from Passengers or Room Stewards who really wouldn't have a clue what was going on. Of course the media is taking that and drawing their own conclusions...

I heard a report on the radio on the way home this evening that phone logs show the Captain looks to have done a runner early in the piece and refused to go back aboard. Also charges of manslaughter are highly likely.

Reports, if they are true, do seem to suggest the word shambles could be a good word to describe what happened both leading up to the rock and in the evacuation. Seems they were just lucky to have only lost a few poor souls and it could easily have been a hell of a lot more.

Wow! Wonder why they did the big dog leg, and who did the course change....
Appearently the Cruise ships do a close flyby and hook their horn. Some sort of a tradition that has something to do with that spot being a popular retirement spot with old seadogs. Looks like someone flew a bit too close by this time.

We anchored about 15 miles due east of the Port Giglio in the bight trying to get out of a northerly a few years ago on our way to Elba. All the islands up the western side of Italy are lovely. I imagine the locals are furious at the boat parked on their harbour entrance let alone the loss of many lives

Saw this on another forum:

The current plight of the Costa Concordia recalls a comment attributed to Winston Churchill.

After his retirement he was cruising the Mediterranean on an Italian cruise-liner and some Italian journalists asked him why an ex-British Prime Minister should choose an Italian ship.

"There are three things I like about being on an Italian cruise-ship", said Churchill. "Firstly, their cuisine is unsurpassed. Secondly, their service is superb. And then, in time of emergency, there is none of this nonsense about women and children first".