Mahurangi weekend

Vorpal Blade

The essence of Mahurangi Weekend has always been about just getting together and enjoying the company of other multihull sailors, and a bit of sailing.

This year the NZMYC want to change the format from the previously proposed race to make it a more of a casual thing.

Instead of a start time and place, which usually sees the fleet finishing over a two hour spread we would like to announce a finish time/place. It would be very cool to see all the multihulls converging en-masse, and create some good fleet photo opportunities to further our cause.

NZMYC Friday Night “Not-race” to Mahurangi.

As far as rules go they are pretty loose....

Rule 1.

We dont care what you do between leaving your mooring/berth, you have to finish under sail between Cudlip Point and Sadler Point at 1900hrs on Friday Night.

This should leave plenty of time for everyone to get into good anchoring spot for the night and have our prize giving at a reasonable hour.

There are spot prizes for the Friday Night “Not-race” sponsored by the NZMYC, and with enough support shown, Squid may even want this to become an official Crew.org event and throw in a few bottles of Mt Gay.

There will be the opportunity for the race boats to go and do their thing on Saturday (if they want to) and on Sunday it is proposed we all sail, or race to Kawau.

We would very much like to include some children’s activities for Saturday, but to do it well we need to know how many there will be. Email or PM your interest to me if you plan on going, include crew numbers, age etc so we can prepare the kids stuff.

Cheers

Bill

I have a few bottles of Mount Gay left, you're are welcomer to them as prizes as long as I know they'll be put to good use. :D

Just let me know if there is anything more Crew.org.nz can do to help.

Pulse will be there. Doesn't seem any point in me being a finish boat for the night, so I'll try and suss out our best anchorage spot. Which is likely to be Lagoon Bay or Sullivans or Mitre Bay.

I hope to have the onboard entertainment system at V 3.7 with another improvement by then...

Does anyone want me to organise a race either on the Saturday, which would be out around the local islands and back to Mahurangi. Or a massed start perhaps on the Sunday to get us all to Kawau Island? The latter could be suitably casual and low key.

The Classic Yacht regatta is on the Saturday, but they are not having a dance ashore and barbecue this year. For those of you who can appreciate the older classic yachts, it is a great spectacle; on of the biggest of its type in the Southern Hemisphere.

Also, there will be kids events on the shore on Saturday. Go to www.mahurangi.org.nz/ for a look.

Cheers

Tim

Sorry, this is high tech R & D, the details of which I couldn't possibly reveal at this time least the other boats with surround sound DVD projector systems in the bay get the upper hand in entertainment systems...

Squid is donating three bottles of Mt Gay to give away as spot prizes, so how about some suggestions as to what for...

Biggest snapper caught on the day would have to be one of them, or is that best presented and served ready to eat snapper?

Hi TC

It would be great if you could organise a race for Saturday as a few boats may need to head home on the Sunday so we probably wont have time to do Kawau, as kids back at school Tuesday.

See you Friday :wink:

Happy to, but so far it is looking like a cruising focused weekend.

I'd suggest we now have enough potential 'start' boats to organise something on the day if need be for the Saturday. Any start will need to be at or after 2.00pm, or in the morning, to miss the classics.

I'm happy to organise a separate start, but I'm not seeing lots of keen racers posting yet...

Hey VB the 2 to tango well be there , we are going 2 catch the biggest fish and take all the rum!!!! It's going 2 be a muithull party , hope there's some more RC 1.2mtr muithull coming along, some good little boat racing !! :thumbup:

Nope, I'll drop the rum off with Bill on Wednesday (if you're lucky some will make it to Mahurangi). I'll trailer up to Sullivan's Sat morn and spend the day buzzing people, bumming the odd beer and generally being a nuisance. mostly just want to be sure everything is there and working, particularly the mk5 rudders.

We will be there (P'zazz) -looking forward to taking the rum for the biggest snapper ! :)

Wont be much time for fishing on the friday for most..maybe Sunday is a better day for that one... lol

Well the weekend's weather looks really good. Well except for Friday's rain and a bit of wind. At least in the right direction to blow you guys up from Auckland.

I would suggest either Sullivans or the the next Bay around Mitre Bay. It will be blowing into Scotts landing. The kids events and rowing races are at Sullivans on Saturday morning.

Pulse will be late there on Friday. The tide is completely wrong to leave. But we'll make it during the evening I'm sure!

. . . I would suggest either Sullivans or the the next Bay around Mitre Bay. It will be blowing into Scotts landing. . .

I am unable to find reference to Sullivans or Mitre bay in either my charts, the HG Boating Atlas, or the RAYC Coastal Cruising Handbook.

Where are they? (Just in case we can make it. Not looking good . . . )

M

Of course your going to make it! You just will have to tri harder! It will be an easy sail home on Sunday for you.

On chart NZ 5321 the Bays are referred to as Otarawao (Sullivans) and Otuawaea Bay. (Mitre Bay.

The names I am using in brackets are the DoC names used locally, and sign posted as such on the Bay. I've never known the Maori names used for these Bays I'm afraid.

Thanks VB and TC :D

I will do my best to convince the boss. He's not so sure about anchoring the new yatchit in a place he has never been before, in front of a whole lot of multi guys!!

LOL - lots of new stuff to think about (like 3x the beam), and I think he wants to find somewhere really quiet to make a fool of ourselves :oops:

Archived