Young 88 - Transom crack

Hey All, Any one heard of the 88's cracking where the hull meets the c0ckpit. This one is on the right hand side going vertically up what looks to be the join between the molded c0ckpit and the transom, aft of the STBD locker. Will try and post a pic later but any ideas?? Is this an 88 issue or an open transom boat issue.

Cheers

Noooo! Have you not read the "admit nothing less than perfection" clause of your Y88 membership? :shh: :lol:

Taking a bit of a punt without seeing a photo and possibly telling you something you already know but your hull moulding has a horizontal flange of about 30mm wide which the deck is "landed" on. Obviously the boats were finished by a range of professional and amateur builders but the usual method of handling this joint was with a grunty form of what is commonly referred to as "poo", and fastenings in the form of the 1/4in bolts that go through your alloy-toe rail all the way round your gunwhale.

As you know, the toe-rail doesn't extend all the way forward and aft or across your transom and in those places, because the deck moulding is not quite as wide as the hull moulding, there is a "step" of about 1/4in. Across the transom, because it is inaccessible from under the cockpit, I would be surprised if anyone ever got any bolts in there, so there were usually a few 8g stainless screws to pull the deck mould down evenly on to the poo across there. The "step" was then faired for cosmetic purposes with a bit of bog and sanded back to a nice round.

My first guess would be that, the 88s now being 25-30 years old, this bog has just given up the ghost and I would just be chipping out any that's unsound with a chisel or screwdriver and then tidying it up with a good hard epoxy bog. I can't really see a lot of load going on the transom (the only exception being the backstay but again, that is not usually a high-load item) and I think if it was anything to be worried about, you would have heard a bang.

Happy to post a couple of photos of mine - or an earlier one in build, if I can find it - if that helps. :thumbup:

OK, this is going to be super-easy for you as I found just now when I went to my own boat to see what you are up for.

Firstly, this photo - although it is the bow, as well as being a great example of how not to do it! - will show you how the deck mould is inset as it sits on the hull flange. So if you envisage your transom, that will give you an idea what is glass and what is just bog making it look nice (nicer than this).

Secondly, if I am understanding your description correctly, you can kneel on your cockpit floor and peer round into your cockpit locker (unload all the buckets first) you can easily see that flange/joint running along the gunwhale, across the top of the locker and down the transom side and make an assessment of how serious you think it is. You will probably find that the lower 3in or so is glassed (with the overlap of the glass tape holding the floor of the locker in) and the rest is just sitting on the poo as mentioned. If you like, you can play a hose gently on the outside of the crack and see if any water is coming through (again if I understand correctly, it will only end up in your locker and drain straight out). It is not the hardest area to work in - you can get a head and at least one arm in if required. But personally, unless you see anything really alarming there or the crack is longer than I have interpreted from your message, I'd be inclined to just make it look pretty again on the outside.

Finally, in relation to the bow area of my boat in the photo, Mike Pearce Boatbuilders - the builders of the new 88 - can supply you with a set of nice gloss-finished moulded carbon/kevlar wear patches to tidy up these areas and others which are vulnerable to wear over time e.g. ends of cabin, hatchway etc.

[Edit]

Y88_bow.jpg

Finally, in relation to the bow area of my boat in the photo, Mike Pearce Boatbuilders - the builders of the new 88 - can supply you with a set of nice gloss-finished moulded carbon/kevlar wear patches to tidy up these areas and others which are vulnerable to wear over time e.g. ends of cabin, hatchway etc.

Out of interest around how much $$$ is a set of the wear patches?

Thanks.

Give 'em a call - 09-442 4697. Despite the impression my post may have given, I don't have any direct relationship with them, just an admirer of what they did with the new boat. :D

Now where is Mr Wolf, this 88 thread has got more posts today than the multihull forum and I know he likes to keep a watch on such matters. :twisted:

Oh good golly Murky, are you trawling for wind-ups on purpose?

1 - I did see a comment up the thread and one reply from you as to the potential hazards of saying that out loud.

2 - If Mr Wolf arrives here, you do realise you have also posted a photo showing alloy sitting just above water, again a potentially hazardous post.

But you are just lucky both myself and Mr Wolf are shy and unlikely to say anything.........................for the moment :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As predictable as the school bus arriving and about the same time too. :roll:

If I had taken the photo on the other side, you would have seen where the stainless base for the pulpit leg was installed in contact with the alloy toe-rail. It's all right though, the toe rail is shrinking away from it with every passing year. :shifty:

It's Split Decision that's just had a big tidy up isn't it? There's one down there looking very mint indeed. Very nice work whoever did it.

Hard case wondering around the marina on Wednesday. There are a few 88's with LOT's of anti-fouling showing. I do believe one or 2 may have taken the stray gear out for a recent event. They do float high when empty.

Archived