AC 72 Design

Great photo. I was watching them the other day and they look like that almost all the time no matter which direction to the wind they are sailing. It did get a bit confusing at one stage.

It's going to be fun watching the 2 play together. Then going to be very interesting to see what changes each make to their 2nd boats. One would expect if they are trailing 2 boats that are the same then they would change pretty much the same things ...................... but will they??????

We probably won't know until after the event though. Assuming enough boats arrive in one piece to have it.

But look at the wave patterns in that shot, they are sailing almost DDW
While their wing doesn't appear identical I'm guessing the principles would be pretty close so the performance is likely to be also. I seriously doubt we'll get info from these 72's for at least a year i.e. the AC + a month.
How well does the WingSail perform up and down wind?

In both cases, with the exception of very deep downwind angles, the WingSail is equal to or better than a soft sail, especially up wind. [+] Read More

Every boat will have somewhat different sailing polars due to the many vessel platform hydrodynamic and weight variables. Generally speaking, upwind is where a WingSail shines, because it will not luff or change shape like cloth sail. Data has been consistently collected from our X-1 AUSV in varying conditions showing the WingSail going to weather at up to 20 deg. true wind direction before stall. Down wind jibing angles vary with wind strength from 150 deg. to 170 deg. true wind direction.

From http://www.harborwingtech.com/faq.htm#8

So a range from 20 deg to 170 deg = knot to shabby at all.

But look at the wave patterns in that shot, they are sailing almost DDW
While their wing doesn't appear identical I'm guessing the principles would be pretty close so the performance is likely to be also. I seriously doubt we'll get info from these 72's for at least a year i.e. the AC + a month.
How well does the WingSail perform up and down wind?

In both cases, with the exception of very deep downwind angles, the WingSail is equal to or better than a soft sail, especially up wind. [+] Read More

Every boat will have somewhat different sailing polars due to the many vessel platform hydrodynamic and weight variables. Generally speaking, upwind is where a WingSail shines, because it will not luff or change shape like cloth sail. Data has been consivstently collected from our X-1 AUSV in varying conditions showing the WingSail going to weather at up to 20 deg. true wind direction before stall. Down wind jibing angles vary with wind strength from 150 deg. to 170 deg. true wind direction.

From http://www.harborwingtech.com/faq.htm#8

So a range from 20 deg to 170 deg = knot to shabby at all.

20 degrees at what speed.

My last boat could do 13 degrees but it was slow.

If your last boat could sail at 13 degrees to true wind but was slow... I'd expect a massive amount of leeway. In fact I'd expect the angle of leeway to be greater than the boats angle to the true wind ! What sort of boat was it ?

I would be happy with that! Ecstatic even.

Sooo...... Foils on the offender? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She really is perfect as she is - well - almost :wink: .

Problem with the one on the talking stick? :lol:

I would be happy with that! Ecstatic even.

Sooo...... Foils on the offender? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She really is perfect as she is - well - almost :wink: .

Offender has foils. Nice curved ones and they work well, especially when boatspeed hits that magical 12 knot mark - that's when you can visibly see them working. They even work going upwind - awesome! Yep nothing needs changing on the Offender except possibly its location. I do miss it...

Archived