AC 72 Design

Strongly anticipating the launch of the first AC 72s and wondering what they might look like.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Will they look like a big AC45?

My guess is they will look pretty simillar with variable sized wing sails like the new AC 45 wing. Maybe thinner and taller?

A big AC45 is my guess, but I guess there'll be subtle differences between the entrants. I'm looking forward to seeing them up and flying. Flipping one of those will have much bigger consequences I guess. I mean would they be able to pull them upright straight away? Need a bloody big tender!

The bow shape will be interesting to me. I'm still not convinced that the reverse bows are the best shape for a cat. I think the AC45's could be pushed harder with a more vertical bow but as they are a one design it doesn't matter because all teams are sailing the same boat. But with the 72's where the boats will be different with a rule on length, I think they should be getting as much buoyancy and dive resistance as possible in the bows. Although I guess if they have plenty of lift from foils it might not matter.

Here is a possible pic of the Oracle cat. From the latest video from Americascup.com. Looks much like the early design rule drawings so might not be what they are actually building. Still can't wait to see the new designs come out of the sheds.

72Cat.JPG

I don't think hull form or bow shape will matter all that much. the platform will be there pretty much just to keep the foils apart and something to stand the rig up on. i believe the boats will be fully foiling or close to it. foil shape will be the most interesting thing.

As far as tipping one over, i don't think there will be anything left to right

Exciting. I can't wait to see the foil config on these beasts.

I'm willing to bet the race will be won on foil design more than wing and hull shape.

Only a few weeks to go :thumbup:

Exciting. I can't wait to see the foil config on these beasts.

I'm willing to bet the race will be won on foil design more than wing and hull shape.

Only a few weeks to go :thumbup:

Gooday 'Royale' - Your bet is covered - by me. I'm in !!!

To win on foils - which is a great thought - but not much substance.

To win a race - one must have 'speed' oh yea right - oh what. No motive power - no boat speed - no boat speed no finish line - no finish line - game over. Wing is power - power is speed - speed is getting to finish line - finish line - FIRST is winning. Oh golly gosh. Me thinks the 'wing does the power' - eh ? - never seen a multihull go past me with a foil & not a good sail-plan - ie - a wing. Your call - I'm just a novice - huh

, NOT Ciao, jams

How much you got on your "foils will do the winning" eh. Ciao, james

Fully foiling... Hmmm... I don't think they would have time to learn to sail a fully foiling 72ft cat. Unless they just hire in the Hydroptere team!

Any rumours of the Hydroptere team disappearance maybe?! :D

Fully foiling... Hmmm... I don't think they would have time to learn to sail a fully foiling 72ft cat. Unless they just hire in the Hydroptere team!

Any rumours of the Hydroptere team disappearance maybe?! :D

Their preparing for a transatlantic crossing to try and smash the record. I would hope that crew work has just as much say as boat design in these tiny courses. All I can say is that I would hate to sail on the courses on 25kts as I would be dead afterwards.

*Edit* and thread drift..... Make that the pacific

from their web page

En route to the city of angels!

Record holder absolute sailing speed of one nautical mile since 2009 (50.17 knots or 95 km / h average), the Hydrofoil DCNS will try to steal this summer crossing record between Los Angeles and Honolulu, record currently held by Olivier de Kersauson on the maxi trimaran Geronimo in 4 days, 19 hours and 31 minutes. An attempt highly symbolic since it is the first record off a hydrofoil boat.

After three months of intense work H2X shipyard in La Ciotat, the Hydrofoil DCNS had joined the choppy Mediterranean in early May. Alain Thebault and his four "pirates", Yves Parlier, Jean Le Cam, Luc Alphand and Jacques Vincent, were able to achieve a first series of training under conditions of light to medium wind. Other tests including night drives will be held on arrival in California. The objective of this first high Mediterranean was not only to get in condition in sport but also to test in situ the changes done this winter on the boat.

Conducted by the technical team, under the patronage of the five freebooters and popes of the project, trials were conducted off La Ciotat in sea conditions allowing to test the stability of the trimaran crossing waves. Allegre in the mistral, the carbon bird sailed up to 45 knots speed, and advanced up to 30 knots in waves stabilized before the famous Bec de l'Aigle. These outputs were also used to understand the positions of everyone on board and repeat the first lines of a score that will have to play error-free this summer on the Pacific. Between Jacques Vincent, co-skipper of the Hydrofoil since 2005, Jean Le Cam, spiritual brother of the time Tabarly, Yves Parlier, another sailing legend and hydropterian the first hour, and Luc Alphand, a former ski champion and rally, Alain Thebault knows he can count on a crew in mind of steel. " Hydroptère DCNS is a machine very nervous, every detail counts. On board, we operate as a roped mountain, everyone is responsible for each other, trust must be total. These first releases showed a passion and a great mutual respect, it feels like five pirates on a ship of dreams "jokes Alain Thebault.

This trust, the five sailors also need to feel vis-à-vis the boat. During the winter, the technical teams have worked on four major areas of optimization for large:

- Relief of the yacht, including through the establishment of a support beam of carbon saffron;

- The increase of the surface draped, with the addition of a new bowsprit to use a greater Gennaker;

- Changing the profile of the foils, to prevent the boat to land in heavy seas;

- And the development of a future servo system of the rear stabilizer by popes and engineers DCNS, which could help reduce significantly the rolling and pitching of the boat and thus further increase its potential high seas

"We still work on the enslavement but overall we can speak of a speed increase of about 10% downwind with a passage much more stable in rough seas, says Alain Thebault. So far the Hydrofoil DCNS was a Formula 1 car the sea, capable of traveling beyond 50 knots on a lake as smooth as possible. Today is just the opposite, we optimize our Formula 1 so it can evolve as a 4x4 and start the attack major ocean records. "

Flying Fish should reach Los Angeles within 25 days. The training will resume on arrival and then the whole team will be positioned on stand-by weather. "We're off, the Hydrofoil DCNS leaves the continent of his birth, says Jacques Vincent, moved. Some still have trouble believing this but especially remember how dreams can be powerful. Now, let's stay humble and keep a cool head, the worst is to come! "

I went to the launching ceremony. What an awesome beast! There was a certain feeling of pride being in the crowd on the night looking at the boat and how something so cool has has been made here.

As for the deisign. Here is my amature point of view.

Lots of forward rocker, I'm guessing this will add to the lift from foils.

Very flat run aft, makes sense as this boat will be planing/foiling most of the time and this will also help reduce pitching which will be hard to keep in check with so much weight aloft.

Canted hulls, very cool, don't know why all fast cats dont have them. Although it is a shame the AC72 rules don't allow asymetric hulls as we could see even more innovation.

Archived