AC 72 Design

presumably from the oracle spy boats

"I did hear that the farmers are foiling to weather at 25 knots and have done some jibes within the last week at 45 knots without coming off of the foils, but I'm sure the Kiwi's are (were) trying to keep a lid on these developments."

Sounds about right. I heard ETNZ went past a fishing boat in the channel doing close to 50 knots

This will keep them occupied for awhile. Just as well they have the trim all under control, don't you think.

Dean Barker shares his thought on the strange latest AC manuvering in the AC

Today the Event organisers dropped a bombshell on the Americas Cup competitors when they announced they will no longer be requiring the Teams to be based on Piers 30 and 32, and more importantly would not be paying for any redevelopment of the Piers as has been promised for the last 18 months.

I am sitting here completely stunned. We are a little over 6 months from relocating our base to San Fran to what we have been told would be a fully functioning base area complete with Team hospitality spaces and full access for the public to watch the teams preparing and launching their boats. It is now going to be a concrete slab with absolutely nothing on it which will now require us to secure cranes, jettys, and all services required to function. We have never budgeted for this and to be dropped on us now is quite unbelievable.I have to say we are a long long way from the vision presented to us back in September 2010. Larry Ellison has done a lot for this AC and has put a lot of his own financial resource into making the Americas Cup next year a big event. However I think in terms of a lot of decisions made along the way by different people here we are with only 3 challengers and now no base facility to operate out of. This is a long way from the success of 2007 in Valencia no matter how you package it.

The catamarans are great but the AC72's are just way too expensive. Not only is the design and build of the new boats extreme, but then you need a small army just to launch and retrieve the boat each day let alone the work to maintain it.

Coffee break now !!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

:problem: :cry: :cry: :cry: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

That 50 knot post did it. Congratulations.

Well this could be all as a result of all you fine feathered friends putting the wind up Oracle with all your over the bottom postings for the ORACLE spies to gather. Ehhh

check the amount of flex on that platform in the last sailing sequence - they're gonna need a whole warehouse of spare boards!

ETNZ don't have warehouse to even store their boat overnight let alone do repairs or fine tunning and alterations.

It's wonder you did not add a Jumbo jet as well.

Ponder this for a moment :::

The rule intent is to prevent the use of negative lift on the daggerboard foil. If the daggerboard where designed to produce suction (which by design they can at present) then this would effectively increase the righting moment (Rm) of the boat. Since sailing is about maximising Rm at every second of a race this is a very good strategy. The rule creators however and others have identified that if it was allow, this strategy could be very dangerous since they could easily double the boats Rm with foils. If a foil broke (and seven has already) then the entire sailing team would be catapulted half way across San Fran Bay as if the AC72 had been turned into a large trebuchet. The windward rudder will be used to trim the boat (up and down) so in effect the boats will be able to increase their Rm by using the windward rudder. This maybe why 17 has such a large rear beam to allow it to be stiff for this torque transfer. Once rules are set its the designers job to get around them.

Rudders can only have one direction of movment so twisting the platform will be the only way to use the rudder for trim.

It is known that ORACLE transfers to lift on to the foils at about 12 knots boat speed. This may be sooner than ETNZ but at the moment it is not known except for ETNZ knows the speed ETNZ has to acheive before lifting onto the foils. If there is quite a difference it will mean an advantage to which boat lifts first hence excelleration and speed to the first boat lifting and triming.

Standings AC World Series 2012-2013

Rank ------- Team--------- Total Points

1 ORACLE TEAM USA - SPITHILL 86

2 Luna Rossa - Piranha 85

3 Team Korea 65

4 Energy Team 55

5 Luna Rossa - Swordfish 51

6 Artemis Racing White 48

7 Emirates Team New Zealand 43

8 ORACLE TEAM USA - COUTTS 42

9 Artemis Racing Red 38

10 J.P. Morgan BAR 37

11 China Team ??

Rudders can only have one direction of movment so twisting the platform will be the only way to use the rudder for trim.[/u]

Perhaps - however the frequency of flex as it passes over waves is more akin to my (and many others) shitty old GBE than a brand new all carbon state of the art cat. I may well be wrong - but I'd suggest that the induced drag on the rudder winglets as a consequence would be counter any benefit of suggested trim.

Yeah i can understand inducing twist. But that just looked plain soft... There is induced twist and there is seagulling. And that twist didnt look that controlled. But we will see im sure.

Rudders can only have one direction of movment so twisting the platform will be the only way to use the rudder for trim.[/u]

"Scottie E " Perhaps - however the frequency of flex as it passes over waves is more akin to my (and many others) shitty old GBE than a brand new all carbon state of the art cat. I may well be wrong - but I'd suggest that the induced drag on the rudder winglets as a consequence would be counter any benefit of suggested trim.

Are you suggesting the designers have got it wrong :?: :?: :?:

no - I'm stating that the twist makes the boat look very soft, the constant pressure change on the L c/boards must be hugely demanding on the stresses on the boards and that I don't concur with your arguement that perhaps it has something to do with trying to passively adjust the trim of the rudder winglets while foiling.

Comment about this weeks racing, From the race Director Murray .

"The same 11 boats will be competing this week, but two will have different skippers. Nathan Outteridge, who led Team Korea to a somewhat surprising third-place finish in August, will take over Artemis Racing Red. Leading the Team Korea crew will be Peter Burling, at 21 the youngest skipper in the competition.

Murray said he expected every team to make strategic adjustments based on the August racing.

"They would have all analyzed what they've done in the last regatta," the regatta director said. "The guys that did well will be looking to add to their strength and the guys that didn't do so well will be looking to fix their weaknesses."

A disappointing seventh-place finish put Emirates Team New Zealand into the latter category and they added veteran San Francisco sailor Dee Smith as a ground crew tactician to get a better understanding of the local waters.

Racing conditions also could be different than they were in August, Murray said.

"Generally, the breezes come in later in the day and with less velocity than they would in July or August," he said.

The schedule reflects that, with most of the races starting later than 4 p.m."

Peter Burling ::

Nationality: New Zealand

Position: Skipper

Birthplace: Tauranga, New Zealand

Marital Status: single

Peter Burling joins Team Korea fresh off an Olympic silver medal in the 49er Class at the London Games. At 21 years of age Burling is the youngest skipper in the America’s Cup fleet, but hardly its least experienced.

Burling began sailing at the age of 8 when his dad bought a boat for him and his brother. By the age of 11 Burling had jumped into the Optimist class, the largest youth trainer in the world, and finished second at the New Zealand Nationals after winning the first two races of the regatta. He returned a year later to win the national championship, his first title.

From the Optimist he moved on to the 420, a two-person dinghy, and won with skipper Carl Evans his first world championship by the age of 15. A year later they were repeat champions.

On the fast path to success, Burling and Evans represented New Zealand in the 470 class at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. They placed 11th in a hastily prepared campaign, but it was a great learning experience for Burling for switched to the 49er Class after the 2008 Games. Now a skipper, Burling won the silver medal at the London Olympics, a medal he had wrapped up before the medal race finale.

Career Highlights

»

2012:

•London-Weymouth Olympics, 49er Class, Silver medal

• 49er World Championship, Silver medal

»

2011:

•49er World Championship, Silver medal

»

2008:

•Beijing-Qingdao Olympics, 470 Class, 11th

»

2007:

• International 420 World Championship, Gold medal

»

2006:

•International 420 World Championship, Gold medal

•International 420 Junior European Championship, Gold medal

»

2003:

•New Zealand Optimist Open Championship, 1st place

»

2002:

•New Zealand Optimist Open Championship, 2nd place

Go Peter:

Orical certainly has a very tweaky boat. If they can learn to controll it it might be a bit of a weapon, especially in 15 - 20

It's really hard to understand the design and looks soo out of controll when foiling.

I can't wait to see more footage of this beast

no - I'm stating that the twist makes the boat look very soft, the constant pressure change on the L c/boards must be hugely demanding on the stresses on the boards and that I don't concur with your argument that perhaps it has something to do with trying to passively adjust the trim of the rudder winglets while foiling.

The power produced by their wing sail is tremendously powerful and creates acceleration that is faster than 2x250 HP motors on a speedboat. Accordingly the drag caused as you state it would be minimal in 18 to 30 knot winds. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Orical certainly has a very tweaky boat. If they can learn to controll it it might be a bit of a weapon, especially in 15 - 20

It's really hard to understand the design and looks soo out of controll when foiling.

They might not get to race a challenger. The challengers have to obtain a permit and build a shed workshop at race center. ETNZ i presume will not be able to ship their new boat until then let alone practice and adjust to San Fransisco harbour conditions with their 72's.

They might not get to race a challenger. The challengers have to obtain a permit and build a shed workshop at race center. ETNZ i presume will not be able to ship their new boat until then let alone practice and adjust to San Fransisco harbour conditions with their 72's.

WTF is Larry doing? Has to spend more money on his second boat so pulled the pin setting up the AC72 camp?

Sour grapes?

nope - just business. He wanted a better buy in from the City but they're skint. Its a shame it didn't pull off because it would have really put the icing in the cake for the downtown there. There will be no issue with permits there for TNZ - just the extra funding they'll need to find to put a decent support base there.

Archived