Sailing in India?

Fogg

I'm heading off to work in Mumbai for 6 months - anyone know anything about the sailing scene out there and any useful contacts?

I love curry and hate NZ winters so it was an obvious choice, btw!

I love curry and hate NZ winters so it was an obvious choice, btw!

If that's all it takes, we should all be packing our bags. :wink: There must be more to this story?

Do you need someone to thrash...I mean take the boat out for a gentle run while you are away?

There is a Yacht Club in Mumbai, somewhere near the hotel that was bombed about a year ago.

I saw 4-5 keelboats, a funky fleet of really old lightnings that raced regularly, plus a fleet of small dinghies further towards the harbour entrance.

That was it

Dirty water, huge currents, good breezes, nice people, good food, cheap living.

If they let you have a holiday try to get across to the Maldives - oh yeah.

I'll have a look , I'm sure I have a couple of emails to get yo ustarted, when do you leave?

Watch out for:

Pirates

Gun and grenade toting water borne fundamentalists

Swindlers

Unsafe drinking water

Scary sea monsters

Confusing use of English language (a new case known as the ambiguative)

Malaria, yellow fever, Tb, leprosy, HepA B and C, Dengue Fever and a host of other things.

But your'e also bound to find:

Awesome food,

incredible friendliness,

humble and happy people,

warm weather,

a new definition of what one needs to be happy in life,

A complete lack of annoying regulations

A world of intense chaos which somehow functions

And have a friggin great time :=). Somehow quite jealous

There is a Yacht Club in Mumbai, somewhere near the hotel that was bombed about a year ago.

I saw 4-5 keelboats, a funky fleet of really old lightnings that raced regularly, plus a fleet of small dinghies further towards the harbour entrance.

That was it

Dirty water, huge currents, good breezes, nice people, good food, cheap living.

If they let you have a holiday try to get across to the Maldives - oh yeah.

I'll have a look , I'm sure I have a couple of emails to get yo ustarted, when do you leave?

I leave mid-May.

Our mortgage broker was having a bit of a winge about the cost of this compliance.

He's been selling mortgages for 20 years, but now needs an expensive bit of paper to say he knows what he is doing.

Hello AC ,

The Royal Bombay Yacht club is just down near the Taj and the Gateway to India but theres no marina in sight !!!!

I have been in there a few times over the last 10 years of visiting Mumbai (usually 3-4 times a year ) trying to get a sail but haven't been successful as l was travelling a lot --- l did find it hard to find boat owners (as opposed to club members !! ).

As Squid said --filthy water , tides and the water does not look pleasant --John Roundtree from the Squadron has been up there a few times running coaching clinics in Mumbai so he may have some contacts worth following up or if he comes on here he could comment .

The people l know with boats in India keep them in Goa which is totally different from Mumbai.

Let us know if you do find a boat to sail on and l might try and contact you and try to get a sail with you when l'm there some time if there's room for other people from this part of the world .

Also--India is the largest producer of rum in the world --there "best " (as l remember ) is called Old Monk and sold for 75 rupees a litre (NZD 3.00 )--it is quite different from the Jamacian rums and my crew had little difficulty in finishing it off .

Is about bluudy time they did something about this.

The Insurance/Financial Advisor/Mortgage salespeople industry has been rife with cowboys and shysters for years – they make used car salesmen and politicians look like angels.

These are the guys that were recommending finance company investments to the elderly and gullible, not because they were good investments, but because they paid great commission, and then ‘reassessing’ the clients mortgage and insurance needs.

For all my sins (and lack of better options) I worked in sales for a large insurance/investment co back in the early ‘90’s, and if policy buyers had been privy to the unethical and deplorable goings on behind the scenes, they’d have never touched a policy. ‘Confidence tricksters’ is the term that springs to mind. Some of the dodgiest characters I’ve ever met were in that business, and every other insurance co was the same. To this day, I’ll never allow a “Financial Advisor” through my door - they are all white collar criminals until proven otherwise.

I’m sure there are some good operators out there, but they’re few and far between. There is not a profession (to use the term lightly) that I have a lower regard of.

Regulate the hell out of them I say – preferably to the point of extinction.

Rant over.

Right V Team, we were in the mooring field right in front of the Gateway to India, there were maybe three decent sized sailboats that we saw go out, maybe ten in total.

We saw a proa in Goa

Apparently there's a good cruiser hangout at that place further south that the VOR went to, can't remember the name.

My sister spends about 6 weeks a year in India and loves it.

post-3043-141887158525.jpg

post-3043-141887158528.jpg

You had me at:

India is the largest producer of rum in the world --there "best " (as l remember ) is called Old Monk and sold for 75 rupees a litre (NZD 3.00 )

That's even cheaper than meths (not that this is how I assess my alcoholic options but it seemed to be worth pointing out). :shifty:

Archived