SSANZ 2-handed Series 2012 - dates?

There are a few tweeks and changes this year...

Longhaul 2 was getting very big so a slight tweek will push a few boats up to Longhaul 1. Had a pretty close look at the PHRF's to decide on the best place to make the cut and try and keep "like racing like" as much as possible. Also a few changes in smallboat with fleet mergers. The aim being to provide quality racing as opposed heaps of divisions and increase the challenge to winning.

Cameron and SSANZ committee

Reading NOR I wonder:

Fairway Marks - Red Buoy Eastern side of Motuihe Channel.

Do you think it is time to delete this one?

Reasons.

I suspect it was relaid a couple of years ago far more into the middle of the channel.

The channel has become much narrower with the implementation of the ferry channel on the northern side.

There have been instances of boats ignoring it, and subsequent argy bargy

There is an awful lot of good water on its eastern side.

II agree in years gone by it was appropriate to have this as a fairway marker, but not now.

Jono

This is my viewpoint and not necessarily that of SSANZ...

A.) Over winter the Motuihe channel doesn't see the pressure it does in summer.

B.) Even with the ferry channel there is still enough water

C.) There are a few nasty bricks on the inside of the red markers (I know of a few boats that have suffered quite extensive damage by "shortcutting")

D.) If someone see's another boat not sail the correct course they should protest.

As such I'd rather keep the fairway marks as is and remove the temptation for rock hopping and potential damage

What does everyone else think ?

Cameron

This is my viewpoint and not necessarily that of SSANZ...

A.) Over winter the Motuihe channel doesn't see the pressure it does in summer.

B.) Even with the ferry channel there is still enough water

C.) There are a few nasty bricks on the inside of the red markers (I know of a few boats that have suffered quite extensive damage by "shortcutting")

D.) If someone see's another boat not sail the correct course they should protest.

As such I'd rather keep the fairway marks as is and remove the temptation for rock hopping and potential damage

What does everyone else think ?

Cameron

I agree with you Cameron

Agreed. While you can go in there, you dont necessarily want to, and if no one can then there is no gain in it for anyone.

BBYC still keep it as a fairway mark for the same reason. Enough boats hit rocks last year as it was without this added temptation?

I agree with leaving it as it is. But on a related note, I wonder if the red beacon off the west Rangitoto shore should also be a fairway? As a red beacon I thought that it was best to go outside it (last race 2011) but most boats went inside as it wasn't a noted fairway in the SI, and one boat hit the bottom and had to head home I think? It looks from the charts to be reasonably clear inside, and maybe it should be a different colour beacon (black). Other clubs don't seem to specify anything about it, but it becomes fairly relevant when starting off Northern Leading and heading out the channel, especially into an incoming tide.

But surely one should have the decision to 'risk it' or not. if he thinks he can get advantage by rockhopping he should be given the opportunity.To win one must finish.

I agree with Cameron; leave it as it is. There are collective risks as well as individual ones. The organising authority of any event has responsibility to mitigate risk where identified and if something untoward was to happen, they could be held responsible. If this rule change was to cause more significant damage while racing then it could effect our collective racing insurance. If something really bad was to happen as a result it could effect the Simrad series.

There also seems to be little reward in making a change. It is part of the course so it applies to everyone equally.

Archived