Gybing question

I have a dinghy sailing question regarding gybing.

I've taken my dinghy out eight times so far. The first couple of times in strong winds, for which I just tacked rather than gybed, and the next few times in light flukey winds, for which gybing wasn't an issue. However, last time I went out was in a good breeze (but nothing extreme) as I was keen to get a bit of puff in the sails. Having got a bit of confidence up the past few times out I was a bit shocked how badly I did when I tried a couple of jybes -- coming fairly close to capsizing.

My approach was to pull the boom in prior to the gybe so that it wouldn't crash across during the gybe. This was no problem and I often do it to turn off the gas when running with the wind anyway. So, I though that things would be fairly cruisy going through the gybe and I could let the sail out again at leisure. Instead I got a massive lean on -- not a rocking motion but a consistent lean as if I was sailing close to the wind. At the point I was about to capsize I thought I may as well let the sail out, which righted the boat and I was running with the wind happily again. The same thing happened for both gybes I made; afterwards I just resorted to tacking to get home and resolved to work it out on dry land.

So, what was the issue with keeping the sail in after I gybed?

The only theory I can come up with is that I turned too far and had the wind coming at 90 degrees, but after righting the boat I was still running with the wind so it is perhaps not likely. But in the chaos of it all I can't be absolutely sure where I was pointing.

If it makes a difference, the boat is a heavy kauri dinghy, with large centreboard. I only had the mainsil up. Raising the centreboard is a two-hand job so I try not to do it.

Cheers, Glenn

I find the trick is to get the steering out of the way before you pull the boom across. So sail really low to the lee, pull the boom over, and (depending on your boat and timing) be ready to put your weight on the new windward side (can just be with your hands) to get the boat level again.

Try to keep the tiller still!

You also need to time it with waves and gusts - remembering that if you do it after a gust hits when you've got speed on, there's less apparent wind in the sails and so it's easier.

Glenn,

Raising the centreplate really will help as having it down will cause the boat to 'Lean' after the gybe. with the plate up the boat will simply slip sideways across the water as less resistance in the water.

Make sure you've let off a reasonable amount of kicker/ vang before gybing (should be off down wind) this will help as if ail fills and tips the boat in the event of it hitting the water there will be some 'give'.

As Zoe says time your gybe for when the boat is moving at speed. This feels very unatural when starting out but the boat it stable at this point and the sail will be easier to pull across.

When learning, it's best to gybe from beam reach to beam reach, to give time for everything to happen as it should, when doing this definately try to avoid pulling the sail into the middle as it will pull you over. llow the boom to swing from one side to the other, I give it a good few arm fulls of sheet to encourange it across (or ask the crew to pull the Kicker across) but let this out once it starts to move. To protect the sail and boom I always but a stop knot in the main sheet that holds the boom just off the shrouds. This will stop nasty knicks in the boom.

Hope this is of help.

Hapy sailing

Katharine

In the fresh as the boom comes across you have to chase it. By that I mean you steer down not up to keep the boat under the rig - as the boat will heel as the boom crosses. It is a truism that if you keep the boat under the rig all is good...

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated and a few things to keep in mind to fine tune the gybing. Having had a conversation with a friend, I also realise that keeping the sail in through the entire gybe shock loads the boat as the sail swings across. However, after drawing a few diagrams I reckon my big problem was that I was turning too far when gybing. Because I am used to tacking and because I'd mostly pulled the sail in, I considered the moment that the sail crossed the boat as being the mid-point of the turn. Of course, that should have been the end of my turn. Or depending on how far I'd pulled in the sail, I should have completed my turn even before the sail switched sides. So I was definitely more side-on to the wind than I had thought, and the fact that I was running with the wind after uprighting the boat was more luck than anything.

go to www.roostersailing.com and read the articles and info sheets, pay particular attention to the one that describes what else the rudder does other than steer the boat. I know this site is Laser orientated however it is pertinent to most dinghy sailing. For a gybe it is by the lee and then get the boom across, never mind sheeting in,, just make sure that as the boom goes through to get your bow down (you can always come back on course when it is completed) and enjoy...........the swimming is all part of the fun

Archived