Crazing & strength

Bimini Babe

Hi there resident experts... anyone know how much crazing affects the strength of boat windows? I've got one hatch in particular that is very crazed, and the beginnings of crazing on my cabintop windows. I'll be taking the boat offshore in a few months and would like to know if it would be prudent to replace the crazed windows, or if it doesn't affect strength too much can I get away with it? I'll be taking storm covers obviously, but prevention is better than cure as they say.

When i replaced windows on pelagian 4 years ago two of my larger windows were crazed when removing all window it required one on the inside pushing the windows out and one on the out side with a leaver bar, All i can say is the crazed windows split in two very easily the others came out in one, I replaced again with polycarbinate, but the next time i do them it will be in glass just seems to be less up keep

Kurt

What sort of up-keep does polycarb need? I've got a glass hatch up front that has a big crack in it (thanks to an intelligently placed brass deck fitting of no discernible purpose... :x ) that I was thinking of replacing with polycarb.

I can only talk from my own expirence, I am not a boat builder, i have found the poly carbinate has gone cloudy and requires us to polish oftern in order to see though it, Also as poly carb ages it loses it strengh

kurt

Polycarb loses 50% of it's strength in 12months in high UV area's, like direct Sunlight. You can get Polycarb with a special coating to protect from UV, but I don't know what it is like for scratch resistance. Acrylic (perspex) has a lot more scratch resistance and should last about 10yrs before it starts to craze like that again.

Tempered Glass is heavier, but that may not be an issue. It is extrememly strong and remains clear and scratch resistant. But somewhat expensive. Although so is Polycarb. Toughend Glass is 10x stronger that ordinary glass. So 10mm Toughened is equal to 100mm thick ordinary glass. So it takes a bit to break it.

I'll be taking the boat offshore in a few months and would like to know if it would be prudent to replace the crazed windows
In one word - Yes. It's a big wide ocean and if it goes bad on you, which it easily can, do you want to be sitting there thinking 'Oh crap, I knew I should have....'.

Besides new clear windows makes it easier for you to perv on those hunky beach boys............... and suss just who or what Mr BB is looking at, which probably won't be the engine tightly packed into that neighbouring 3.5hp Mercury outboard ;)

I had crazed poly windows on WT and they were amazingly brittle and came out in a few bits. Gone to 5mm glass now and i'm much happier. $395 from Metro Glass on Rosebank rd. But if you go to Metro, you have to explain exactly what you're doing with them and what level of finish you want on the edges, or they're rough as guts!

Thanks for the responses guys, and particularly KM for the implication that I am anything other than EVERTHING Mr BB will ever need to look at. Cheers. :problem:

Oh BB, you know how guys are :crazy:

Thanks for the responses guys, and particularly KM for the implication that I am anything other than EVERTHING Mr BB will ever need to look at. Cheers. :problem:

Oh BB, you know how guys are :crazy:

No argument with the pair of you from me. A lot of the time I'm very happy to be just a shallow male :lol:

Archived