Boatie missing off yacht in BOP

OYSTR

The 38-foot (11-metre), single-masted yacht was found by a member of the public, about 20km east of Mayor Island.

Police believed the yacht, with one person on board, left Tauranga for Paihia on Sunday.

Western Bay of Plenty Police area commander, Inspector Karl Wright-St Clair, said an immediate search of the yacht determined that there was no-one on board.

The motor was running and the anchor was dragging in the water, he said.

This sounds very mysterious. A member of the public 20km east of the Mayor. Running motor and dragging anchor. Wonder where he put his anchor down.

does anyone remember Kas2?

M

Probably anchored up off Corromandel somewhere and has gone over the side while setting it or lifting it. Presumably they will check the Aldemans etc. but looks like a sad accident. Poor bugger...

One report says 4 Russians on board also? wtf - that sounds odd.

In all honesty - who does? I mean, if you are in a calm anchorage, what's the point? Wearing a non-inflatable PFD could be dangerous in itself up on the pointy end.

However, if you are weighing anchor because it's got up 'a bit rough', would you don a PFD before you went forward?

Mine is inflatable, and once it is on, I forget about it.

M

When Solo, I wore my PFD whenever I was on deck (unless anchored). Going forward to weigh anchor I almost always wore it. Mainly because once underway it was a pain to have to do things like get the PFD.

At night, all people on deck on my boat wore their inflatable, and carried a light in their pocket.

I heard on the radio this morning that they are going to try a land search at Mayor Island. Hopefully he was trying to put anchor down at Mayor, fell over the side and boat drifted away and he simply swam ashore.

I guess PFD in my mind is a confounded issue because I just associate harness with PFD seeing as the two are integrated on our boat.

To my mind, it is by far preferable to stay on the boat than to be able to stay afloat. I've been overboard before and I can testify that staying on the boat is by far the best option. To me, a harness is more important than a PFD. I don't want to need either, but I'll need a harness before I need a PFD.

Make more sense to wear a harness.

I agree...better not to fall off the cart in the first place..it makes it a bit easier to survive than floating comfortably watching your boat sail itself (or motor) off into the distance..

Even so, most people here do wear their pfds...

(which by the way is the sound they make when you get washed up on the rocks)......

Unfortunately the powers that are...have upped the anti here big time....fines and other "incentives" are increasing, and the cost of a licence going bonkers..

apparently this decsion was made after consultation with stake holders.....sure as (!)...wasnt anyone I know.

Yeah

Never really understood why you would want to prolong the floating bit miles from anywhere.

So a harness - but seriously harnessing up to lift the anchor in daylight? I don't think so. I barely remember to put one on at night. Have been sailing and launching for a wee while now and have yet to go over the side - ever.

Maybe he had some sort of seizure or just fell?

Not many yachts have a means to get back on board unless they have a walk through transom

I would be looking a bit further afield than Mayor. Why would you leave Tauranga on your way to Paihia/Russell and park at Mayor?

When on my own I am generally in a RIB and wearing a wetsuit - if not I would put a life jacket on to cross a river/harbour bar but not otherwise. I believe this is all going a bit too far - seems the safety police are attempting to make my life too complex.

Assuming you clip on 100% of the time. I suspect even solo many don't particularly if conditions are moderate.

I wear a good quality baltic manual inflate jacket with harness. Not bulky to wear.

I wear it if solo (don't solo much though) most of the time - having a pee off the back at anchor or weighing anchor probably not but maybe should.........

If two handed then sometimes conditions dependent - 5 knots in the ditch during daylight typically no. In the gulf in 15 knots+ then yes.

I personally like the RORC criteria.

"In an offshore race A harness and lifejacket shall be worn when on deck:

a) Between the hours of sunset and sunrise

B) When alone on deck

c) When reefed

d) When the true wind speed is 25 knots or above

e) When the visibility is less than one nautical mile

STAY ABOARD - CLIP ON"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10785621

It was spinning slowly in circles off the Bay of Plenty coast - the motor running and anchor dragging. But the 11.6m yacht Honfleur was deserted, her skipper nowhere to be found.

As mystery surrounded the disappearance of experienced sailor Richard Rusbatch, 56, his family were last night pinning their hopes for his survival on his strong swimming abilities.

Mr Rusbatch set sail on his yacht from Tauranga on Sunday, bound for Paihia in the Bay of Islands. But the deserted, under-motor yacht was found by a member of the public yesterday, about 20km east of Mayor Island in the Bay of Plenty.

Archived