Boatie missing off yacht in BOP

OYSTR

I have a friend who believes that the Aliens are taking people off their yachts, and has warned me to stay off the water . . .

Hoping to go sailing tomorrow

:shock: What had your friend been smoking???? And no....I don't want any thanks! :lol:

I have a friend who believes that the Aliens are taking people off their yachts, and has warned me to stay off the water . . .

Perhaps Megwyn you should advise your friend to go back on the water and to put the gin bottle away for a little while :lol:

Perhaps Megwyn you should advise your friend to go back on the water and to put the gin bottle away for a little while :lol:

If only it were that simple Grinna - I think this friend really believes what they say - and no, they do not drink Gin - or anything stronger than coffee . . . smoking though - well, that's a thought! :wink:

I worry a bit sometimes. . . then I just go sailing

Maybe they need to take something up them Megwyn. Well at least they would then have an excuse :wink:

So the 5-8m of chain you found out would not be enough to have been anchored for the night. In the process of anchoring - as others have theorised - possibly.

Which is another point in my thought of a fouled anchor. It is just about off the bottom at the 5M mark and snags. He dives down and gets it free and something has happened. Or maybe the boat free's itself later, but whatever, hence the 5M's odd of chain out.

But whatever, it's just guesses.

So the 5-8m of chain you found out would not be enough to have been anchored for the night. In the process of anchoring - as others have theorised - possibly.

Which is another point in my thought of a fouled anchor. It is just about off the bottom at the 5M mark and snags. He dives down and gets it free and something has happened. Or maybe the boat free's itself later, but whatever, hence the 5M's odd of chain out.

But whatever, it's just guesses.

Not so sure about that one..even a complete idiot would surely not dive down on an anchor when the boat is in gear and driving forward ( which is how Honfleur was discovered)..in this circumstance the anchor chain would be driven hard up up under the bow and of course the tension on the chain would make it damn hard to dislodge from an obstruction.

But I would be picking that with only 5-8 metres chain down and the engine running that Richard was in the process of either raising or lowering the anchor when he went overboard..furthermore the fact that the windlass circuit breaker appears to have been tripped ( beach boy found the windlass up switch would not operate) may have been a result of a fouled anchor and Richard was on the way aft to reset when he went over..

Richard kept his dinghy on Russell beach up by the Duke and would leave it on his swing mooring on the northern side of the wharf when he was out on day charter..because he always had a couple of kayaks on the decks for taking his punters ashore in the BOI i never saw him tow his dinghy around...but for a trip to Tauranga i can imagine he may have towed it down to Tauranga, Is his dinghy still on Russell beach?, That would be useful info.

What i cannot get my head around is why he would leave Tauranga when the sea conditions were so unfavourable....I had been watching the marine forecasts intently for the 7 days prior to his departure on Saturday as i was planning on bringing my boat down from the BOI to Auckland and depart Opua saturday same as Richard...but there had been days of fairly fresh Northeasterlies and the swell was big and messy all down the coast..in the end i made the trip down on Monday night as the wind went northwest and eased and the swell flattened off.. It must have been very uncomfortable heading out of Tauranga Harbour going north...

Guest BeachBoy

I have been giving the whole thing a lot of thought... as in a LOT, going over every detail I remember from the experience. And what I come up with, putting all I saw together plus all the news articles is the following;

Richard left Tauranga on Sunday (afternoon I believe)

The dinghy parted from Honfleur some time on Sunday also - well it was found Sunday

The parting of the dinghy and the anchor down approx only 7m is part of the mystery

Richard text his daughter that he may go for a dive at Mayor Island on Sunday arvo

Richard's mishap occurred on Sunday afternoon - early evening

The cops have traced his movements TO Mayor Island

An unopened bottle of wine was sitting in the sink - implying he was going to drink it either noe or soon..

An opened bag of crisps were stale.. they certainly weren't opened on Monday! (unless they were stale to start with)

Good music was playing on the stereo at a volume which implies the man was in a happy mood, good spirits; maybe planning on relaxing a bit, enjoying a nice wine etc..

I am a fairly experienced boatman and know a fair bit about the sea, but I am surely no sailor. But what I think needs to be figured out if we are ever to solve this 'mystery' is how can ALL of the above be incorporated into an accident? Or maybe a mistake by Richard, who as experienced as he was, can still make simple mistakes like the rest of us; as they say, familiarity breeds contempt and we are ALL guilty of taking things lightly at times. Sometimes things happen in the best of conditions that we have gotten away with in worse conditions in the past..

Guest BeachBoy

OOOPS!

Add to my last post the motor running and in gear... and the dinghy 'probably' being attached to the short rope found dangling at the arse end, starboard side..

The rope WAS there, just assuming the dinghy was attached to it.

Archived