Liferaft - buy or hire?

Bimini Babe

Getting close to D-Day now (departing for Tonga April/May - first offshore trip) and haven't bought a liferaft yet. This is partly because I have one that I could service (although it's very old and would likely cost up to $1500 to do so), and partly because I am so upset by the price difference between the UK and NZ for similar rafts (think $3000 in NZ, vs. £500 in the UK, currently less than NZ$1000!)

Someone's (KM I think) comment about borrowing/hiring liferafts has made me wonder if I might be better off doing this, as I'll only be going away for 6 months initially, followed by 6 months back in NZ for visa reasons. Anyone know costs of liferaft hire for that sort of period? Or should I just splash out (no pun intended) and buy a new one?

How about hiring just for cat 1 inspection

'opps did I say that out loud'

But seriously it's not right the difference in price

Erm... yeah, na. I think I'd prefer to have a liferaft on board when we leave! Don't need Cat1 anyway. :wink:

Did someone call...We do sale buy back. This way if you disappear to Oz or keep going you don't get caught. Recommended for those doing it as a once off adventure. Cost around $1,000 depending on raft.

If your boat is offshore registered on a TIE you don't pay GST. Saves you 15% straight away.

Also if you are offshore registered you don't need an offshore specification (Para flares, food, water) in the raft. It can go in a grab bag. Cheaper, and keeps the raft lighter. Look, more savings.

Then there are rafts with 3 year service interval. This also lowers the cost of ownership. We have those....

So I can offer you a brand new 4 person valise raft with a 3 year service interval with a coastal pack for $2,395 exc GST. Not quite GBP 500, but I have invested in a visit to the factory, have a fully factory approved service person, and carry Maritme NZ approval for a liferaft service station. And it is here in stock in Auckland.

To be fair this raft wouldn't be recommended for a trip to Antarctica, or a 5 year cruise around the world. But it is just fine for the Pacific run.

I hope this helps. Come and see us at Gaunt St Auckland. For those outside Auckland we also work through your local chandler if you want to support your favourite chandlery.

Archived