Round New Zealand updates

Guest Crafty 1

Yes this is an amazing race to view and for drama it's been excellent.

which tells me it is not the technology and the big spend budgets that draw the crowds but the realism, the local flavour, and the "pure sailing" aspect that makes this rock.

Volvo sponsored the wrong event!

my awards...

Peligain for the semanship award.

Sunstone for the best performance considering what they are sailing

and Surreal / sunstone / for the reliability award.

all the others for gut and persistance... :clap:

Leaves the volvo sprint / marketing promotion (oops i mean race) for dead.

RNZ 10 - Volvo 0.2

Congratulations Cam and Tim - well deserved and big ups to everyone in the race

Some hard calls for all on the leg and so impressed with everyone, a true testament on how to be prepared and deal effectively and smartly to situations that arise along the way. Everyone has done yachting in NZ proud !!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well, thats in my eyes anyway :D

Volvo boys eat your heart out - we have the best sailors right here slugging it out down the west coast!

Still a way to go for some and I can't imagine how awesome the South Seas Hotel is going to be for everyone when they get there.

Can also confirm Truxton's position is correct, not sure they know how to add the boat name to the GPS send from the satphone... Slow going beating into it in big seas and they can't wait to get there!

Poor buggers went through hell. I spoke to a ship's captain tonight. He was in the Tasman and in 30 years he's never seen it so bad. He was genuinely worried about the ship. He has no idea how a yacht survived. For Pelagian to carry on is amazing.

Hi Steve,

Losing count here after last night's encounter with Puysegur. We had fast running down the Fiordland coast with the wind building steadily until by evening we had just the poled No3, which we finally exchanged for the storm jib (not seen out of its bag since the 1985 Fastnet). The seas also built steadily and by the time we were off Chalky and Preservation they were also breaking heavily. One of these caught us out and put us on our side, causing a certain amount of domestic mayhem. The only major damage was one small bit of the Monitor which we'll have to try to replace at short notice if we are to have self-steering capability for the next legs. By daylight we were past Puysegur with the wind still gusting in the 50s, but the seas down. By noon it was pleasant fast reaching with full main and poled No3. This evening we are sitting 12 miles from the finish with virtually no wind and Vingilot and Revs snapping at our heels all too clearly in sight. It would be nice to finish before dawn.

More after the finish, regards,

T&V

Ps: Aston, we have plenty of photos, but no way to send them when at sea.

Amazing welcome to Stewart Island for the first boat to arrive from the local school. The race is absolutely massive for the locals. The crew of Krakatoa better watch out if they ever show up here... Vicky had her money on them in the sweepstake and she reckons they would never pull out again after she was finished with them ! (I'd be worried)

Wow what close finishes during the night, the finishing crew must have been busy. Great vid of the welcome from the locals.

Big ups to all involved - competitors, shore crew and organisers to get this race up and running again.

any one watching Danaide's track...seems they are currently in the sounds?...

Danaide seeking shelter in Dusky Bay and other boats making good progress south

Think it's really positive to see the crews exercising their judgement in different ways and at different times, in response to what have been pretty unforgiving weather conditions.

Yup, seamanship.

I've been following it all every few hours, what a great achievement. I had look at Panther and K2 in Nelson yesterday, no one about but I hope those guys are all ok now. The boats look pretty well shipshape and ok considering the beating they've taken.

Archived