Round New Zealand updates

A couple of pics of our window repair

:lol: Kiwi ingenuity. What actually happened?

M

Broke a 12mm jib sheet about a foot down from the clew, clean break so don't know the load but couldn't believe it.

Anyway the lazy sheet flogged and smashed the jib block into the toughened glass window shattered it at 3am off Portland Is.

Broke a 12mm jib sheet about a foot down from the clew, clean break so don't know the load but couldn't believe it.

Anyway the lazy sheet flogged and smashed the jib block into the toughened glass window shattered it at 3am off Portland Is.

Bugger. What sort of a load would it take for a 12mm sheet to break? A question for KM I guess . . .

That would NOT be what you where expecting.

Did the repair job keep the weather out of the boat? Looks very interesting :D

We had about 4 x 6 inch hole of missing glass.

We firstly cut up the cockpit squab to fit the internal recess and taped the out side.

This held it all together but it still leaked so latter that day we put the remaining foam on the outside with the battery box lid and two hatch covers and 100mm bolts to sandwich the lot together.

That stopped 99% of the water, would have been 100% with more bolts but we had only so many spares on board.

Bugger. What sort of a load would it take for a 12mm sheet to break? A question for KM I guess . . .

A good 12mm Yachting braid, 2900kg odd when new and has no splices or knots or isn't being shock loaded. Knot all ropes like this on the NZ market are good.

Weird place to break there D. I wouldn't mind having a suss of whats left if you get the chance to remember that.

A very kiwi creative repair, nice work.

Will get it to you some time.

Yes I didn't have any #8 wire or bail twine on board so had to make do with what we had.

[. . . the lazy sheet flogged and smashed the jib block into the toughened glass window shattered it . . .

From the picture, I would of expected the "jib block" to be on the track. Did that block come off the track and flog around :?:

Did you have the block on the clew for a 2:1 sheeting system :?:

Were you using a barber hauler system :?:

[. . . the lazy sheet flogged and smashed the jib block into the toughened glass window shattered it . . .

From the picture, I would of expected the "jib block" to be on the track. Did that block come off the track and flog around :?:

Did you have the block on the clew for a 2:1 sheeting system :?:

Were you using a barber hauler system :?:

None of the above

The jib cars are a odd couple, the one that hit the window is about 10 mm longer than the other and was able to just reach the edge of the glass from on the track.

The weakest part of toughend glass is the edge

I have taken the car off now and a mate is modifying it so it can't do it again.

(Welding a bar along the base so it can't flop over as far)

That exact scenario happened to one of the bigger Beale boats some time ago. We were just talking about it last week because of your experience and we were wondering what happened. Something to be aware of thanks.

So now it really is all over :cry:

The prizegiving dinner on Friday night was a great night to wrap it all up, every competitor was given the chance to tell their highs and lows of the race. To me the high, as I said on the night, was the reinforcment of my belief that the people of New Zealand are the most caring and generous people in the world.

What I didn't get to say was how much I feel I owe Jon for the fun I have had two handed racing.

Jon and I had our first race togeather back in 2005 when we sailed Hot Shot, fully crewed, to Fiji. From 2007 onwards we have sailed Danaide in just about every race SSANZ have run, Simrad series, Round North Island and now the round New Zealand.

Thanks a lot Mate and as for the future, how about taking the wifes for a cruise through those Fiords we had a quick look at on the race?

Now where is that guy with a mate that wants to run a figure of 8 race around NZ.

I'm over work and need something to get ready for.

Apart from a lack of time and money - how about Auckland - Rio single handed? Arrive in time for Carnaval, then up to the caribbean for some cruising, drift home across the Pacific.

Been thinking Auck - Papeete and drift back across the pond

Bit less time required and I can't speak for you but I have mates :oops:

Now that is one Lonely race to contemplate! :problem:

Now Mr Squid apart from not being allowed to go by Mrs Squid and the squidettes

can you truly imagine the solitude that once you arrived in Rio could only be well and truly made up for

with those dusky Rio Maidens.......Id love to have a go at something like that but there would

NO WAY mrs ocean photography would allow it! :lol:

Archived