Round New Zealand updates

Just saw on the SSANZ facebook update that Pelagian have issued a Mayday, see below.

At 2130 a Mayday call was sent out by a competitor in the Two Handed Round NZ Race.

Pelagian II set off their EPIRB at a position about 275 miles West of New Plymouth when they found they were taking in water faster than they could pump it out.

The center of the Forecast “Weather Bomb” had just past over them battering them with wind gusts of up to 70 knots (130 km/hr) and fierce seas.

At 2230 Pelagian II had reported that they had managed to start their engine and had their emergency pump keeping up with the influx of water and were slowly heading in an Easterly direction hoping to rendezvous with a ship enroute to aid them estimated to be 40 hours away.

Just saw on the SSANZ facebook update that Pelagian have issued a Mayday, see below.

At 2130 a Mayday call was sent out by a competitor in the Two Handed Round NZ Race.

Pelagian II set off their EPIRB at a position about 275 miles West of New Plymouth when they found they were taking in water faster than they could pump it out.

The center of the Forecast “Weather Bomb” had just past over them battering them with wind gusts of up to 70 knots (130 km/hr) and fierce seas.

At 2230 Pelagian II had reported that they had managed to start their engine and had their emergency pump keeping up with the influx of water and were slowly heading in an Easterly direction hoping to rendezvous with a ship enroute to aid them estimated to be 40 hours away.

Heres hoping that there managing to keep enough water out to stay afloat and that nothing else has gone wrong for them. For those that dont know here is the boat in trouble.

post-10945-141887196995.jpg

Nothing new Steve? 2130 to 0330 is a long time to wait for help when water is coming in!

I hope they are keeping on top of the influx.

I got everything crossed for them here.

M

tracker shows Panther and Pelagian only 11miles apart which is better but still a long way in those conditions. Good luck lads.

Pelagian have managed to steem the flow and are heading for NP.

Which is still a long way off

Btw we haven't withdrawn but headed for C S to sorce parts as had been hand steering for three days hour on hour off.

Parts were collected by Shaun from L&B and dropped at airport then Matt arranged for them to be flown to Nelson, Pete G picked them up and delivered to Nick W who is bring the over this morning. Thanks team all organized by Chelsea.

Nick W is saying we will have a 24 hr window if we leave tomorrow to get to Fiordland before the next 70kts hits and nun of us here thinks that's possible

But he will update us today.

We had 50 kts last night in marina so are really feeling for Kurt now.

Apparently Kurt and Matt are heading toward a Ship about 40Nm away. They have it under control now, but will use the Ship to shepard them. I find Half the anxiety leaves you when you know someone else is out there with you. Dang you can sure feel "on your own" when you are on your own out there.

The centre of the Storm pretty much went right over them. A fairly constant 70kts with Gusts much much higher. One of the Weather outfits have reported some wind strengths out at sea as being as high as 90kts, but I can't say if Pelagian experienced that high. Sounded like the Boat was being knocked everywhich way you could imagine and they couldn't get the water out as it was coming in through places like hatchway and vents etc. But that is second hand info from Media, so certainly would not say that was for certain. I could well imagine that though.

The main wind strength has abated for them now, but the sea is going to remain very nasty and from everywhich way. That is the problem with having wind directions change like they did, you get Waves ontop of waves ontop of swells and I don't know about you guys, but I have always found that the hardest to cope with. You can't make the boat settle down and it is soooo so tiring.

Archived