Round New Zealand updates

again be interesting to see where the boats are in this evenings sked ....since the majority of trackers arnt working anymore...

any one know when the baots holed up in nelson are leaving ..... looks calm down there now..

I think you will find the boats in Golden Bay are concerned they do not have enough of a window to get to Stewart Island before the next front comes through & would not want to be down by Fiordland in a SW that may be worse than the one they just experienced.

The info they have is they would have 48hrs before the next front arrives.

I would probably stay put and have a race between the three of them after the second front :thumbup:

They have no cance of winning this leg now anyway

Talking to one of the sailors this morning the advice given by the weather experts was more along the lines of setting off at lunchtime today would give them two days to get the length of the West Coast before they had to contend with worse weather than they just experienced. That weather has resulted in two mayday calls with one sailor being winched from a liferaft.

Apparently 50kn in the marina last night with the boat on a 30degree lean.

Good to see that Panther has checked in.

And Pelagian now looking to continue.

I guess they've both seen it about as bad as it can get.

Guest Rocket

Sure doesn't look like they are continuing in the race - looks like they are aiming at NP. Find it a little unlikely that they haven't run their motor in gear.

Not sure you would go from a mayday to carrying on racing either.

I'm sure if they had the motor on that they would be doing more than the 1.7kn that the tracker says they are doing. The latest report said that they were hove-to for the night which is consistant with the speed and will be continuing in the race this morning in moderating conditions.

Rocket - Pelagians tracker ( and others) not working. You need to look at time given this is position as of last sched.

Also, my take on the situation: that in the middle of the most violent black night imaginable, when they could not find the source of leak and find that they are losing the battle,having discussed predicament over sat phone and being I would think absolutely downright STUFFED, Mayday was a pretty fair call. Sinking was quickly becoming very likely. Problem was found and solved and Mayday dropped soon afterwards. They were still hove-to as of last night.

Why would they not continue racing? Personally, I think I would have had enough of sailing by then but then I'm a desk bound wimp....

Bloody proud of you guys, and so looking forward to hearing all about it

all good speculation.....lets wait till we hear from the horses mouth....

but maybe a pan pan would of been better??

does anyone know what the leak was yet?

there is no right or wrong in a mayday situation there is only right and right and there is no need to second guess the decision, if the skipper decides his crew and or his vessel are in grave and imminante danger and require ommeadiate assistance then he makes the mayday.

This was clearly the case as any vessel that is taking on more water than it can remove ticks that box particularly in the conditions and location they were in. They clearly discussed the matter with their support network and made a considered call, all power to them.

The fact that they later remedied the danger themselves and caancelled the mayday is totally appropriate and there is no reason why they shouldn't continue racing if they choose.

They are also entitled to use their motor in gear (if in fact they did) if that was part of the remedy process, they just have to decalre the circumstances etc to the race officer, the race committee may then decide of what if any sanction is required.

Bloody proud of you guys, and so looking forward to hearing all about it

Abso-freakin-lutely. They went through the freakin mill out there. The Sea must have been a flamin nightmare. I can only imagine how confused the wave action must be. Top marks guys. Kurt and Matt are no less Heroes in my eyes in not continuing. In my view, they are Heroes because they actually did everything right and doing it right is not always an easy thing to get right, if you know what I mean.

They did exactly the right thing in calling a Mayday. You never know in that kind of situation what events will continue to unfold and if you would ever get another chance of calling for help. Water coming in and don't know from where and you can't keep up with it, you make the call. Things got better and they were able to cope, they don't need to put others at risk or expense, they did the right thing in saying they don't need help. Also remember that to be picked up from a boat in those conditions, it would mean going to the Liferaft and that is always a last resort. It is so dangerous going to the Raft, you only ever do it as a last resort.

Hi there ,

Stewart island hospitality is being offered to the shore crew !!!!--No wind here at the moment , but l'm happy l packed the thermals for the wait on the finish boat .

Dainade and Truxton have rejoined the race and are clearing farewell spit --hopefully the NW'er will help them head south quicker as this hospitality without the stars is hard work ,

Vingilot have blown a mainsail as have Rev's but Sunstone still keeps tracking on and we know they will arrive .

We're all looking forward to the sched tonight to see where Surreal has got to

Guest Rocket

No argument from me just oberving from the safety of me living room. Big ups to the fleet who have done yachting and our regs proud by getting through.

Oh and I will add these are shorthanded boats which magnifies the trouble immeasurably so very impressed and totally respectful!

Psychic: I concur.

Give that the trackers had failed (why? how?), and unchecked water inflow, then any discussions with RCCNZ, SAR etc would suggest that you switch on your EPIRB so any rescue efforts can have an accurate position to go IMMEDIATELY to. This would definately be my suggestion as well.

Given the dark night, heavy STORM conditions, (not just a gale), the low passing directly over them and a most confusing sea state, any verbal position relay from a GPS would have a greater margin of error as time passes and rescue possibilities get closer.

The EPIRB only gives a MAYDAY and position, there is NO PAN function.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

So yes Kurt & Matt did the correct thing. Easy to cancel / downgrade later.

Imagine the opposite outcome. Lost without trace.

Why did they NOT activate their EPIRB whilst they had the chance?

They had all the safety equipment and were sensible enough to use it correctly.

IT WAS NOT A FALSE ALARM. :thumbup:

Check the list of situations that qualify for a MAYDAY call, and learn.

It will be a great evening to hear all about it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My thoughts and prayers were with them and all the fleet and still are.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't even imagine what 70 knots feels like out where they were. I remember doing a simrad a few years back and seeing 57 knots off bean rock. That was scary enough for me. They must have balls of steel. Big ups :thumbup:

I figure when you're boat is filling with water and you don;t know the source, and in weather where the source could get rapidly worse if it's hull failure of some kind, you're in a Mayday situation. If it later turns out you can get the water down, find and stop the water coming in and get underway, then that's an awesome outcome.

The SSANZ round NZ rules allow for engine use as long as declared, with penalty (if any) to be set by the race committee.

Archived