Round New Zealand updates

The tracker still shows the leading three boats haven't moved since early this morning.

I can't believe the rest of the fleet would have caught them the way the tracker shows.

From Pelagian

all well, headed west to escape a low that never eventuated. Will head back towards the rhumb line now. All ok and concerns.

I also get the positions of the boats from the radio scheds, but I dont post them often as by the time I get them there well out of date.

I notice Sunstone steadily moving up the standings, probably enjoying this.

Has Yachtyakka heard from them? hes the first to find out anything off there boat.

The tracker still shows the leading three boats haven't moved since early this morning.

They must be in stealth mode

Must be.

Interesting that Revs last position was 0200, K2s was at 0300 and Surrel at 0400.

Coppelia still hard to figure out as well, still stuck around the 3 knot mark while the rest of the fleet is doing 5-7+.

The moving Vingilot is now about to overtake the trapped-at-its-2am position Revs. :eh:

Is anyone else worried about the fleet given this weekend's f'cast? Not much we can do except maybe not be surprised if there are some dramas. I know I wouldn't want to be out there with this coming in...

rain-nzni-2012022918-48.gif

Is anyone else worried about the fleet given this weekend's f'cast?

I am. It was pretty gnarly when we lost the rig out there last year but that looks like it could be a whole lot worse. The boats are all a long way off shore so there is plenty of room to turn and run if they need to but it ain't going to be comfortable out there.

Looks like Danaide is heading inshore. Do they have an issue or injury? Or are they just looking to find some shelter?

ETA just saw on the SSANZ site that K2 and Danaide are heading for Golden bay to find some shelter and make some repairs.

This is what Met service are saying .

Coastal Forecast: Grey

Issued by MetService at: 12:45pm Thursday 1 Mar 2012

Valid to: Midnight Friday 2 Mar 2012

Forecast:

*** GALE WARNING IN FORCE ***

Southwest 40 knots easing to 30 knots overnight and to 15 knots in the morning. Very rough sea easing. Southwest swell 4 metres easing.

Outlook:

Outlook following 3 days: Rising Saturday morning southerly 30 knots with rough sea, easing Saturday night 15 knots, becoming Sunday variable 10 knots. Developing Monday northerly 15 knots. Moderate southwest swell.

New issues of this forecast are made available on this site at or before:

2:15am, 6:15am, 2:15pm, 6:15pm

Updates and amendments may be issued at any time.

Marine forecasts also available 24/7 from MetPhone. »

That map looks very ugly....not the sort of forecast you want to receive when you are in those waters that is for sure....lets hope it doesnt get that bad ...the weather is certainly very fickle at the moment to put it mildly ...

The forecast on the tracker is significantly different to Metvuw, anyone know what they are using?

The tracker is using PredictWind I believe .... at least, that's the logo that appears on the tracker when you select the weather.

Looks like we are about to see 2 dudes very happy to know Supertanker 34's were built tuff.

Skins sent message 'What do we do???". Looks like they have made a call.

Archived