Round New Zealand updates

HI all

I have a press release that will shed some light on what is happening out there.

-- PRESS RELEASE --

Update on the Round New Zealand Two-Handed Yacht Race.

While leg two began with light winds and calm seas, the wild West Coast lived up to its reputation with a gale warning and winds gusting to 50kts with rough seas, squally showers and poor visibility. The fleet leaders have been neck and neck the majority of the leg, chopping and changing between line and handicap leaders. But that has all changed with Krakatoa 2 retiring due to the skipper, Rhys Boulton's injured foot leaving team Surreal who report all is well but can't seem to get the tracker to work, and REVS who reported in with an Alternator problem Thursday afternoon and wasn’t heard from on the evening sched, they also have a tracker problem.

Danaide (dan-uh-dee)who reported they had a leak, along withExpedition Coppelia and Leg one winner Truxton are proceeding toGolden Bay to seek shelter. Father and son team Vingilot and the British couple on their racing boat home Sunstone report all is well. Pelagian 2 is bringing up the rear, due to a tactical error, ispunching through 6m swells, unsure of why their tracker has stopped working. Leaving the crew on Panther battling on with sea sickness.

The rough seas and large swells continue but the wind eases a little tonight ahead of a deepening low pressure system which is due to hit the fleet tomorrow evening with even rougher conditions than today.

While it all seems sedate here in AKL and pretty calm it took 4.5 hours to fly to Melbourne this morning into headwinds and 2hours 50 back tonight which is fast, really fast, we had 260kmh tailwinds on the way back. The displacement boats will have a lot on no doubt, let's hope the lighter ones boot it somewhere safe and do it fast.

Panther and Pelagian are the least best positioned unfortunately, hove to or run with and stay high to miss Cape Reinga are probably the two options for them.

While they won't be loving it on Sunstone, all will be in order would be my prediction. Good luck to all out there.

That's one sorted then. Good effort, saw they were up to 9 knots at times on the way in. :thumbup:

More of the trackers seem to have parked up overnight, including Truxton which is shown as being still out there at her 2200 position. Pelagian looks to be heading seaward again.

Just spoke to skins

All is well, going to hang out in the marina for a bit. Has been a hellish few days with 3 reefs and storm jib on, they couldn't go into it as it looked too easy to get rolled.

He said they had 45ft elevation on the GPS at times!!

Danaide and Expedition Coppelia aren't too far behind them.

They will do some weather & re-assess : )

I said to Kurt on Pelagian, before they left, that it is not always the fastest (in speed) of boat that wins this kind of race. Whiile Pelagian may have made a tactical error, it could well turtn out for the better. You simply do not want to be anywhere near that massive sand bar of a cape in bad weather and heading out to sea could actually place them in a far better position. The storm is moving really fast and so the sea state will not be huge. Sea Confusion is going to be the biggest enemy. If Pelagian can keep moving in the right direction, they stand to make up the time they lost in their error. And all the boats have a similar speed nose on to this stuff. While it is going to be nasty, those that stay out there are going to be in Stewart Island before those that have run for cover. Although I am not saying those that run for cover did not do the right thing.I would hate to be on any boat out there, but even more so on those lightweight flat bottom things.

The wind strength on the tracker (presume it is Predictwind) has been under reading significantly I would have thought ....it was showing only around 25-30 knts most of the time during the last 24hrs...

any one plotted this mornings sked psitions ?
Go....all the guys out there....keep trucking....
i can see now why pelagian put there storm covers on their windows before leaving westhaven...!!
lets hope they make it through the next 36 hours....

any one plotted this mornings sked psitions ?

Go....all the guys out there....keep trucking....

i can see now why pelagian put there storm covers on their windows before leaving westhaven...!!

lets hope they make it through the next 36 hours....

Up above you Oracle for the radio reports.

Heres an update from Sunstone

Hi Steve,

Day four was pretty unpleasant and we're not over surprised that three boats are seeking shelter, especially with a nasty low on the way - though what shelter they'll find in Golden Bay we don't know! Wind was mostly 30-35 on the nose with very big seas, some 8-10 m. Though the wind probably didn't require it we eventually got down to No 4 and trysail, which was about right. Anyway, it seems to have done us some good relative to other boats - except for Surreal, which has shot away from us all. Only one bit of damage, when the 3rd reef pennant snapped - we jury rigged another. Today is lighter beating - 15 knots at the moment with a left-over sea. It looks like another day of beating in 30+ tomorrow and then maybe some running or reaching for a day or two. Sunstone is a rather damp house-boat at present. Roll on Half-Moon Bay!

Regards, T&V

Just heard Truxton is a ground on farewell spit, trying to motor off. Fingers crossed....! :(

Ah thats not so ideal? Fingers crossed the boys get it sorted ok.

Guest Rocket

Hope the Ross boat is OK - I have done some offshore miles on one and it was scary enough reaching/running in 35knots. Beating or getting a real pasting is going to be a real test. They are the ones to keep an eye on. Fingers crossed.

Just heard from Truxton, They are all OK and didn't hit the bottom. Just in the shallows i think. he has SSB and sat phone problems, sounds like it has really been a horrible few days.....

Bloody good news Booboo. :thumbup: After such a rip-roaring start to the race too...don't think they will regret not being out there and a couple of rums and a sort-out of boat and crew will be very welcome.

Archived