Solo sailor rescued off Raglan

Brendon

Sorry Wheels, but everyone who comes up from the Sounds has the same comment. You have to join a club up here the

chance of a friendly raft up is so bleak. Clearwater Cove YC at Westpark Marina have a small cruising group of nice people.

You would be welcome I'm sure.

I think what you are talking about is the difference between south Islanders and the rest or should I say Aucklanders? Its the same in other sports ,activities Ive experienced like tramping and motorcycling.

To put it politely, Bloody Aucklanders!

Incidently I am in Raglan so neutral territory!

No so far I have found Auckland boaties to be very very friendly, it just isn't as easy to meet them out on the water is all. And many more up here have families aboard, so they have their own world. Interestingly (and I have only just thought of this) but you rarely come across families on boats in the sounds. Sure there are some, but most are either in small boats or have Baches.

Don't know how this thread got here, but I can suggest a very valid reason why people tend not to raft up in the gulf......RIVIERAS!

Very true along with those god forsaken ferries that seem to go past every other minute.

Back on track, I wonder how far offshore the boat was, the insurance company would probably get it towed in wouldn't they?

I know the weather was shite but the boat appears in good shape from the footage, I don't get it.. I am of the mind you don't ever get off the boat unless you have to step up from it onto the liferaft.

Certainly looks as tho he could heave to get a little rest and if getting to close to shore he could unroll a little jib and make some way until the shite settled down.

He looked pretty chipper getting off the helo but he may have been equally so hanging on for another 12 hours. Its a lesson that has always stuck with me and the classic illustration was the 79 fastnet "stay with the boat as long as it floats"

It's certainly true that many of the boats abandoned during the Fastnet '79 were later found safely still afloat. And the tragedy was that many of the crew had died after abandoning their vessel for the liferaft.

And that was the lesson learned AC- don't get into the liferaft unless you have to step up off the sinking boat, many of the boats in that fastnet were in reality abandoned prematurely and many found floating later sadly missing a significant number of their crew.

Thats a gutwrenching situation and i did wonder what the rescue was about (Hadnt had internet but only saw it on TV for 2 minutes) but it makes sense.

Not a pretty situation and quite scarey to think about really.

Alan..all the best for your future sailing adventures...you did everything right ..unfortunately were in the wrong place at the wrong time...

As you said ..there was no physical injury and you can enjoy quiet family time ...wish you the best...

Indeed great that you are safe now and what a true and informative report. So sad for Frolic but so great that you are with your family.

All the best for the future. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very sad story but extremely well written and informative. It should also silence anyone who claimed Alan was reckless to be out there and the cause of another unnecessary rescue effort. He clearly remained composed and rationale throught, went through the right sequence and communicated well in advance. So, ironically, it was a kind of text book rescue although tragic about the loss of his boat.

No idea what the insurance situation is but if he does have insurance in place I would hope he is fairly treated and not disadvantaged because he abandoned ship prior to it hitting land. It would be ridiculous to deny a claim because he didn't stay aboard until point of impact.

So I'd be very interested to hear the follow-up if there is any insurance angle?

Alan, sorry to see Frolic on the bricks like that, and especially after reading about how emotionally and physically invested you were in your vessel, bloody heartbreaking.

Indeed it sounds like you checked all the boxes and made the correct decision considering drift under drogue and a closing lee shore. It was very much a wrong time wrong place scenario and I have found myself in those places on occasion but not with such a dramatic outcome.

I would echo AC's thoughts and would be interested in what I am sure will be a continuing story....hopefully you'll be sailing again soon.

Archived