Maritime NZ not investigating the Gypsy incident

Dagwood

I would of thought the MSA would investigate as that is what they are empowered to do. Naturally I could accept that the local on the spot Harbourmaster and police will do the work and write reports as they were involved with Auckland Anniversary Regatta committee both in the days BEFORE and during that day.

If it is such an "open and shut simple case", then the MSA review and summary should take only days to finalise, and should of been out weeks ago.

Who investigates the MSA :?: We taxpayers pay them all. Perhaps they may change their stance and what appears to be inaction if we could delay their salaries until he report was published.

Further, the recent TV series and having read a few of their investigation reports, they certainly do go into lots of details that a lot of us would not bother about normally.

e.g. a trawler off 90 mile beach had its maintenace records on bilge pumps querried

e.g. the sea bed samples in the berth in Gisborne for the yacht that lost its keel of Tauranga

e.g. The loss of the children when their family trawler near Stewart Is was in holiday mode, not commercially fishing.

I was impressed with the depth of their investigations in these reports. Well worth reading and happy to say I learned something from these tragic events and am sure others could as well.

Most of the current staff of MNZ have no boating experience and that is very concerning. As we all know, you can't just rule accidents by a rule in a book. There are all sorts of dynamics that boating experience is essential for to be able to understand.

How much boating experience is required to know when an accident is serious? A woman was seriously injured, a boat sunk and an innocent party left $200k out of pocket? Doesn't take a seasoned sailor to see a problem with that?

If you see a car fail to give way, smash into a $200K car and injure it's occupants, what would you expect to happen to the offending driver? He'd be breath tested, charged with dangerous driving causing injury and get a day in court. Then his insurance would be coughing up. It doesn't matter that the other car was only insured for 70k. Pay for the damage you caused. Is the MNZ having their arm twisted by someone here?

I sure hope we get to find out, cause I'm sure not the only one looking sideways at MNZ....

100% agree WT. I wasn't suggesting the lack of Boating experience is behind the reason why they arenot investigating this particular incident. But more in general of the many incedents they investigate and take to court. Some cases taken to court were advised to the head of MNZ as not somethign MNZ could win and yet she still took it to court and subsequently lost. And guess who's paying for that.

A comparison can be made to the current case before the courts. A husband is suing the rescue services for the death of his wife in a Christchurch collapsed building. I see this as an individual challenging the actions of a Governmental organisation, there for the greater good of us all.

I'm sorry there were so many who died and sometimes rescue services just can't save everybody. A tough call and no doubt the individuals trying to save people have agonised ever since about what they could have done. However they were putting their own lives at risk.

Now it must be such a disappointment to be challanged about how one acted in a crisis and disaster. Certainly a review of what happened is necessary for training and future preparation but I see the current court action as far beyond that, seeking punnishment.

It could be enough for competent highly trained individuals to walk away from the job, if court action is all they get as thanks.

Meanwhile I do believe the Gypsy sinking and injury needs some offical report so at least we know what and why it happened, even if settled privately and compensation made between the individuals.

Actually he is not suing the rescue services at all.

He requested that the Commission of Enquiry review the actions of the rescue services as part of their enquiry. A different thing entirely.

A review by the Commission of Enquiry would be exactly what you are suggesting. However they have decided it is outside their terms of reference.

Actually he is not suing the rescue services at all.

He requested that the Commission of Enquiry review the actions of the rescue services as part of their enquiry. A different thing entirely.

A review by the Commission of Enquiry would be exactly what you are suggesting. However they have decided it is outside their terms of reference.

Babe: I'm happy to thank you for correcting me. :thumbup:

It was my impression from TV news item, and I failed to check fully before posting. :oops:

However the Christchurch question appears now to have altered to WHO SHOULD INVESTIGATE :?:

It is still or perhaps even more like the Gypsy situation now :?:

I think Maritime NZ is beginning to look a bit foolish over this. Their credibility is suffering .

the latest professional skipper magazine has several letters/articles that are not expressing universal support for MNZ

of course like a lot of govt departments, it is large, and its unfair to tarnish the whole outfit with the same brush....

:!:

Would be very very difficult to show that this has been dealt with in a manner consistent with comparable (or even lesser) incidents.

The financial aspects and whether people have been taken care of by whatever means shouldn't affect the way the investigation is handled.

Otherwise it's one law for the rich and...oh, right...

At the time of the collision, he said he was slowly motoring back to Westhaven Marina when the collision occurred just after midday.

Slowly enough that it was no more than a bump

"that'll buff right out".

So a sodden bus ticket from the Harbourmaster and Maritime not wanting to touch it or explain or comment has rather unsurprisingly left the entire nautical community scratching heads and more than a little suspicious.

For an organisation such as MNZ that is working so hard to educate people and promote skipper responsibility etc, it really is sending the wrong message and is quite bizarre...

Surely it's not over and there has to be more, a lot more before this is finished??

What does Gypsy's owner have to say about all of this....or has he been already shut up with a nice deal that he cannot confirm or deny....I suspect that if this was a commercial fishing boat, a tinnie, or any other boat that had hit Gypsy the captain of said vessel would probably have a new arsehole courtesy of MNZ.

What they are of course implying is there are laws for us but then there is laws for the others that know the law and sadly MNZ with their negligent inaction are sending that message loud and clear. :thumbdown:

Has anyone asked the question - Was this the 1st time Gypsy has been involved in a give way incident that has been brought to the authorities attention?

Actually you could ask the same about both boats.

Archived