Maritime NZ not investigating the Gypsy incident

Dagwood

If you were the parent of a 4 year old would you not be holding her hand or restraining her in some way if she was close to danger? Especially during docking procedures. I would think the girl should be "angrily demanding answers" from Dad.

Exactly.

Parents allowed child to run off unsupervised, on a boat, and she fell in the water. Hardly an unexpected outcome.

If you were the parent of a 4 year old would you not be holding her hand or restraining her in some way if she was close to danger? Especially during docking procedures. I would think the girl should be "angrily demanding answers" from Dad.

Exactly.

Parents allowed child to run off unsupervised, on a boat, and she fell in the water. Hardly an unexpected outcome.

Also my first thought when reading the article. Answers should be demanded from the parents, not the ferry company.

The original post didn't quote the entire article. The salient point is that the girl's hand WAS being held by her mother, but she apparently spotted her grandfather on the wharf and bolted.

Maybe ferry company and Dad should be angrily demanding answers from wee girl...

[

The original post didn't quote the entire article. The salient point is that the girl's hand WAS being held by her mother, but she apparently spotted her grandfather on the wharf and bolted.

Then it wasn't being held tight enough. Even with the best of [parents] intentions things can go wrong, occasionally with tragic results, which fortunately isn't the case here. I hope the parents have used this as an example of how nasty things can happen to kids who go running off on their own and why they should stick close to their parents when out in public. However the fact they seem to be looking to blame someone else makes me suspect otherwise.

An article in March Boating NZ states that and MNZ investigation into Gypsy is underway. Have they changed their mind?
I haven't seen that article, but there is one in March/April's Professional Skipper that states categorically that they have decided not to investigate, because "no serious harm had occurred".
However the fact they seem to be looking to blame someone else makes me suspect otherwise.

Agreed. Same mentality that would have every stream fenced off from neighbouring reserves :(

Then surely we need to fence off the beaches in Auckland, and those fountains in the city and while we are at it, fence off all the footpaths and only allow pedestrians to cross the road at marked crossings . . . and bigger, better, brighter barriers at railway crossings and along all sides of the track as they are goint to electrify it all.

Will the list ever stop :?: :?: :?:

From the above comments it seems that the girl let her mothers hand go and went into the water. So a simple MSA report stating that, and put on their website. Simple really IMHO.

Exactly.

Also my first thought when reading the article. Answers should be demanded from the parents, not the ferry company.

I have to jump in for this one, as I am now so well qualified to comment! Parents can control their children most of the time, but not all of the time.

Myself I can control my children about 30% of the time.

My brother did the same thing at Russell Wharf off the Kewpie Too when he was five years old.

It's great that she was able to grab something and hang on. Mine all start swimming lessons the day they turn three but I don't know that my five year old would have the presence of mind to.

I don't know any parents that haven't had something occur that could have had tragic consequences but didn't. That's life. Parents aren't robots.

I spent years commuting with this ferry company and there were a few hairy moments when things could have gone either way in terms of an accident or not. Notably during berthing maneouvres in a fresh breeze when it was often just the skipper and a young, relatively inexperienced deck hand - often female with less strength than many of the passengers forced to stand and watch as she tried to secure a large line without losing a finger. And in fact if you check the MNZ investigation reports you'll find that this company has had it's fair share of accidents including a lost finger.

I understand that sometimes accidents do happen, however careful you try to be, that's life. And I wasn't there when this incident happened so can't comment specifically. But from my prior experience commuting with them I would not be surprised if their berthing & disembarking procedure was a contributory factor.

Guest Saturday Night Special

On May 22, Gypsy was moved to a rented factory unit at Snells Beach (Unit 4 30 Hamatana Road) and this will serve as workshop for phase 1 of her rebuild.

Having lived 15 years in the States I smell something......smells like money.... trying to make something harmless go away...or I could be wrong....

meMy call here - - 'Rats'ake the call - - Your full of c----

Time will tell - U win - I loose - time ???? Ciao,. james ex-pat Canuck in OZ

Having lived 15 years in the States I smell something......smells like money.... trying to make something harmless go away...or I could be wrong....

meMy call here - - 'Rats'ake the call - - Your full of c----

Time will tell - U win - I loose - time ???? Ciao,. james ex-pat Canuck in OZ

I fully don't understand about 50% of SR's posts and this is another example. :?

I fully don't understand about 50% of SR's posts and this is another example. :?

If the 50% you understand is the 50% I don't maybe we could collaborate?

You go first...

WhoHa!!..... ructions are afoot. Claims have been made, counter claims have been placed and threats of assorted horsepower have been issued and thrown around town, at one mob in particular.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at one meeting happening today.

Archived