Keel Repairs

Are there any keel repair gurus in Auckland. Overseas there are company's specializing in repairing and installing new keel bolts and doing other fixes. Thanks.

I've done quite a lot, how about a little more info - design, keel type, etc.

I may be able to help, or at least steer you in the right direction

Researching the issue of keel bolts on the net is quite interesting. There seems to be a lot of comment that stainless keel bolts are not good due to its corrosion potential in the absence of oxygen. Also seems that they should be checked and tightened as much as every two years.

The specs for my boat refer to copper rod being used for the keel bolts ..is this a better option than stainless ? Why do most production boats use stainless keel bolts if they are susceptible to corrosion?

the most common bolts nowdays is 2205 stainless steel, which doesn't have any of the oxygen issues and is stronger than std.

I wouldn't have thought that copper bolts in a keel would be common, there most likely silicon bronze. but you never know.

Almost all the older (pre 1960) boatbuilders used hard drawn copper for keel bolts. We used it until the early 70s after which we switched to monel. Burying the older stainless in a lot of wood was not a good idea. Modern construction no longer involves a lot of wood. If Gary (LEB) doesn't know not many will.

Archived