One for the mathematicians...

Bimini Babe

Good on you for living the cruising dream! Hope all goes well. I guess in an 'emergency' it's possible to find a place to dry out - although I imagine they are quite far and few up there!

I asked the travel lift guys for weight when lifting out and they indicated that their numbers wouldn't be accurate. Problem is the strops aren't vertical (unless your boat is a very beamy rectangular barge.

Problem is the strops aren't vertical (unless your boat is a very beamy rectangular barge.

Unless they have just one load cell on a strop, it won't matter. Normally the Load cell is on what the machine is lifting, not on just one strop. Unless the load cell has been an add on, of which that is rather dangerous.

I asked the travel lift guys for weight when lifting out and they indicated that their numbers wouldn't be accurate. Problem is the strops aren't vertical (unless your boat is a very beamy rectangular barge.

It really depends on why their numbers aren't accurate- If it is because of the non-vertical strops (and the load cells are accurate) then it is simply a matter of working out the angle of the strop (from vertical) and taking the vertical component as the weight. You would need at least one load cell per strop.

The travel lifties are probably more concerned with the axial load applied to the strop itself, so arent concerned with the actual weight (hence their claim that the numbers aren't accurate).

edit -as Wheels noted it depends on exactly what the load cell is measuring (where it is located). I assumed (above) that it was somehow between the strop and the travel lift itself, thus it would measure the tension load on the strop.

Archived