Snow Petrel Voyage to Antarctica Book launch at the RNZYS

B00B00

My Dad will be in NZ next week and will be doing a book launch at the RNZYS on Tuesday the 10th April at 7:30pm.

The Book is all about the Voyage to Antarctica my dad and my 2 brothers did a few years back in my eldest brothers 34ft yacht.

Its a pretty incredible story really, a SUPER low budget and a very small boat for the trip. They go through alot on the trip, a full knockdown in the southern ocean, sitting out storm force winds of up to 100kts for 4 days on a fully iced up boat, making it to the magnetic south pole, a massive party at the french base, then chuck in the general lives of 3 people stuck on a small boat for an extended period and its an excellent read.

The book also has a bit of an interesting insight into our family, 5 boys raised on a 45ft yacht which my parents still live on to this day(that could be a book in itself with all the mischief we got up too...)

I believe he will be playing some or all of the Documentary that my youngest brother made on the trip.

Its bound to be a good and entertaining night.

Entry is free and open to anyone.

See you there.

A preview of the Documentary here.

Bit of an insight into my crazy family....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYFV7C9 ... UPVyEt4ro=

sp_b.jpg

Boatberg.jpg

SnowPetrel_web.jpg

Sounds awesome, wish I could be there but even watching the previews here is no good, very slow internet. Post a DVD if I give a mailing address???

cough cough, I assume they had approval :problem: :problem:

And Jon will be at RPNYC on Tuesday 13 April for Wellington book launch as well.

so is that tues 10th or friday 13th?

Opps, Just re-read booboo's post, I guess that makes it Friday in wellytown

Yeah I think Splash now has the correct dates for the RPNYC talk.

And YES they did have all the permits and authorisations for the trip to Antarctica.. In fact all of them have been down to Antarctica many times now. My dad has done a lot of work restoring Mawsons hut at Commonwealth bay, well not really restoring, more like preserving the hut and also building the weather station down there I think.

Megwyn, no they didn’t attempt the Tasman in the Proa again although they have now done plenty on miles in it and are halfway through some major alterations to make it better suited for offshore. The will do it one day maybe.....

Im actually looking forward to the book launch myself, I don’t get to see my parents much as they live in Hobart on the boat and now that I have kids of my own I have a total newfound respect for them and really look forward to seeing them and seeing the joy they get out of my 2 kids – their only 2 grand children (and #3 due in September). My mum is a pretty amazing lady, raising 5 boys on a boat, and we were very energetic full-on lads that didn’t make her life easy. Letting her husband of over 30 years and 2 kids on that small boat to Antarctica must have been hard, at the same time these guys were down there I was sailing around Cape Horn with a jury rig, so that was a good chunk of her family at the mercy of the ocean at the same time.

Im taking them away to Kawau for Easter, hopefully I get some good tips for raising kids on a boat!

My mum is a pretty amazing lady, raising 5 boys on a boat, and we were very energetic full-on lads that didn’t make her life easy. !

Himself and I were discussing that very thing last night. How she must be an exceptional woman to be the only female amongst all those 'boys'.

Also what a fantastic upbringing it must have been. :thumbup:

The RPNYC bar opens at 6.30, with food available as well.

any idea on when the book launch kicks off?

also price for the book? and how can we pay for it?

ta :D

Archived