Shifting a Mast from Tauranga to Wellington

I would bite the bullet and put it in the hands of a rigging firm that does this all the time. Under a previous owner, our boat (Y88 so a slightly taller rig) had a new mast arrive in Wellington in such a condition that it was rejected outright, with the predictable stress on all parties. No doubt riggers would have many such stories.

Part of the risk seems to be that some of the people handling it down the chain just see a big ungainly item to be slung around the place, whereas we know it to be a precious and delicate instrument requiring the greatest care. :D

Freight it. Wrap well and all is good. If they trash it there is Carrier cover for $1500 notes. If that's knot enough you can up it quite easily.

The main trucking names aren't the ruff buggers they were.

As slight aside. Back in the day we were next to Tim Willets mast making shop. Came in one morning and Tim was going hard out with 'fragile' or similar type tape on a OK mast (I think) and rushing it off to someone in Europe. He was a tad peeved this was happening as he had already sent the dude one. The problem arose when the freighters thought they would save him some bucks and them some space so they had cut the previous mast in half :?

As you can imagine Tim was knot amused.

Ring Jeffs transport they move alot of cars and boats like haines and stabi between thbe north and south islands reasonable on price and what they can take they move our 420's and other boats for us never had an issue with damage I am sure they could lye the mast on the deck of the truck next no probs

Their website is www.jeffs.co.nz

Cheers

Gappy

Palmerston Transport might be worth a go, they shift a lot of machinery all over NZ and have long deck trucks. A mast could easily lie under a couple of tractors for example which should give a good rate and be quite safe. They have a yard in Penrose and a website.

I know I'm dense but 8.5m isn't 40' and you can get trucks which carry 40' boxes all day long?

Can you not get it included with general cargo?

Archived