Rudder build for Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Thought I'd put up a few photos of the carbon rudder project for Bad Kitty, won't write much but if you have any questions fire away, starting with stock build,Stock build.jpgStock build 2.JPG

Foam core wrapped in 23 layers of prepreg carbon,

Then lay up eglass for bearing surfaces, glue it on so Jamie @ Custom Marine could turn it round & add stainless bearing surfaces.Stock finished.jpg

While that's going on pull an existing rudder to copy,Rudder plot.JPG

Make 2 moulds & make carbon skins,

Carbon skins.JPGskin layup.JPGSkin wetout.JPG

Nice pics thanks! What is the cloth in the very first picture??

Ta Ben

That's the prepreg carbon, or are you asking exactly what carbon it is?

I'll check in the freezer & tell you later!

Jeeze I gotta get educated in that construction. It looks just way cool and I can think of 100 applications on the Marshall.. Nice job guys!

Just curious as it looks like uni in the second pic but plain or twill weave in the first. Was wondering if it was a bit gucci?

Thatd be cool thanks.

Just curious as it looks like uni in the second pic but plain or twill weave in the first. Was wondering if it was a bit gucci?

Thatd be cool thanks.

200 gram carbon uni, prepreg.

It goes on in some highly important order, at 0, 45, 90 degrees or something like that, over & over till you have 23 layers.

If you want to get more specific I'll have to check with the Engineer!

In the second photo the carbon on the right still has the plastic on the top surface.

And here's the first one almost finished, just a bit of a tidy up, tape the leading edge and done! :clap:Rudder finished.JPG

Old rudders with 50mm 2205 stainless stocks & bronze tillers, blades made of foam & eglass = total weight 28kg each.

Carbon stock, blade & tiller = 7.1kg each.

Thanks to;

Nina, Clever Fox Engineering. Engineering and nearly all of the work.

Jamie Logan, Custom Marine. Machining and technical help.

Richard Edlin, mould making & boatbuilding.

Willy, bugger all labour, cockad a few things up which meant more work for the first 3, did buy the lunches, beer & Mt Gay. :thumbup:

Archived