a new toy arrives on whangapaoroa

philstar

Saved from rotting in a driveway in Kawarau. here are the before photo's. She needs a huge tidy up and a couple of minor repairs but we should be running by summer.

right now she's a standard ross 780, next year we'll look at a few mods.

190055989_full.jpg

190056110_full.jpg

nice one Philstar congrats on the new boat! I seriously considered this one as well, despite needing a good tidy up, it did not seem to have had a lot of hard use in general.

she's been raced very hard and needs a refit but the bones are good.

Took 2 rubbish bags of crap out of her, bailed 3 feet of water out,

The bad - none of the electrics work, squabs are ok but filthy. Centercase is broken, centerboard needs painting, centerboard winch is broken, deck gear is all pretty f&&ked, rigging screws are all mickey mouse , most running rigging is knackered.

The good- bones are great, hull is a hopwood balsa core with glass deck and I haven't any rot (yet), new mast, new stays, oodles of sails including a brand new mylar main and jib and an ok set of dacron sails, trailer is all ok.

Basically she just needs a bit of love. It'll be a while before she's sailing due to time constraints.

Good stuff Phil. Maybe you'll be ready come summer? It will be good to see you out racing. In the right conditions you might be able to give other slightly larger Ross boats a bit of a hustle!

Sounds like you've picked up a good restoration project and have good plan to give it a new lease of live.

One question though, when I read about boats in such condition as you've found this, I think to myself "How can anyone ever let that happen?" To me it's the equivalent of living in your own home and just letting into turn into a cesspit of squalor, junk and broken furniture etc.

How can anyone who ever bought and enjoyed the ownership of any boat (big or small) ever knowingly let it deteriorate to such a way? Once upon a time it was a clean and tidy vessel and the neglect happened on somebody's watch. I just don't geddit?

agree with the sentiment AC.

When I looked at this boat in Kawerau, it didnt have much water sitting in it yet, but it did have a leaking front hatch and the front squabs were soaked.

The owner was in Aussie, and I could not walk away without rigging up an old tarp I found in his backyard over the leaking front hatch. It just seemed criminal to walk away and let the water keep coming in (it was pouring down during my visit)

I didnt pick up everything Phil did in my viewing, but did recall the mast and sails seemed very good indeed and it seemed a very sound boat in general despite the lack of love. Just a bit too much work for me to do the 'tidy up' right now.

So as it turned out I left this for Phil to buy (and I bought his boat)... and in this cyclical and mysterious way boats of all kinds find their new homes [David Attenborough voice off] :)

you will have to take her out next summer for a couple of weiti races and give bump a little run! itd be good to see how she goes!

yep prev owner was rough as guts and knew nought about her.

the mongrel even left me a full covered in sh$t chemical toilet which has gone straight into the skip.

I was in tauranga the weekend cam picked up my young and I went back to check her out on the way back from mountainbiking in rotorua.

there was 3 feet of water right through her and the squabs were all soaked.

I wasn't planning on buy her until june but couldn't bear leaving her and made him an offer 2 days later.

Have just washed the forward squabs, black water coming out but they've come up well.

looking forward to racing the short handed over summer, we'll just see about giving people hurry ups.should be good racing anyway.

:):) oh yeah I forgot about the toilet. I am still fighting off the mental image actually. disturbing. altho the crisp, barely used racing sails helped with the recovery process a bit....

so I call raven transport today and he turns up with this huge f$ck off hiab to pyull the centerplate out.

we hook the plate up using spectra and he starts lifting.....

nothing happens....

I hop in the boat and give the board a shake...

nothing happens...

I hop under the boat and give the board a shake and notice the theres loads of barnacles and crap jammed in the case...

I tell him to lift again and notice that the boat and trailer lift a couple of inches.....

nothing happens...

I'm thinking sh*t what happens if it doesn't come out!

So I grab a sledge hammer, jump in the boat and give the plate a decent whack on the back.

KACHOOK ( tech term) the plate flies up 2 feet and its free.

yay. its a heavy sucker. next job paint he plate and replace the plate support.

10 may 033.JPG

10 may 032.JPG

self tacker stays so i can single hand her.

thinking of renaming her magic carpet cause we can't afford new carpet due do a certain boat purchase.

the boss approves, can't sail a carpet

Hiab's are really great! I've got the boat haulage 2 Ton hiab/flatdeck lined up for the long awaited 'over the back fence - on to the neighbours driveway' Wild Thing move. $250 from Te Atatu to westpark! Bargain!

I have had 100s hrs of fun sailing against Ross780s when I had Invisible touch (E7.4). The WYS 100 miler was great with Rosses such as Electra, Bush Singlet etc to battle against.

Remember one gnarly night tacking up the waiheke channel, and having to do a Mayday Relay for a 780 that went up on the reef just NE of Pakatoa, same time a Joker I think, ran up on the rocks nth end of Ponui.

Aah those were the days and that race was looked forward to for the whole year.

Archived