a new toy arrives on whangapaoroa

philstar

I used pad-eyes through-bolted opposing each other, top and bottom for tack and bob-stay, opposing sides for the side-stays slightly off-set aft from the tack/bob-stay ones so the bolts didnt clash at 90 degrees. The carbon tube had circular blocks of ply epoxied in where the bolts were so you could nip it up without the crush compromising the tube. That way the load is transferred straight through the bolts which aren't going to give way. Nice and simple.

http://crew.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14081

and what happens to the loads and the angle of the bobstay if you make it 50% longer? :wink:

Looking forward to seeing it Phil, nice work on the 780!

awesome thanks ee and 203.

Like the look of your prod ee I'm going to do a very similar length to you and fine entry.

thanks for the tips fellas I'm thinking through bolt with pad eyes same as ee.

are you happy with the length or would you go slightly longer??

Bigger is always better! The prod on my boat is now going to just under 16ft. Any ideas on a good way of passing the side stays through the end of the spreaders?

I'd probably go slightly longer, from memory its around 1250mm so maybe 1500max. At the end of the day as Murky said when I built mine - they all become the Mark 1 design at some point..... so I'll look at that later when we break it. So far so good though.

All that can go wrong with Padeyes at the end is if they can crush the tube.

If you have a rectangular Carbon plate that goes through two slots in the end of the prod and is then taped to the tube this will have no crushing loads at all.

You then need a couple of bushes in the Carbon to lash to.DSC07452.JPG

In my opinion the cleanest, lightest and safest way is to have a ferrule and dead end attachment. I probably have a small ferrule kicking about you can use.

Prod OBE.PNG

weather forecast for the weekend looks shite. so took yesterday off work and went for a sail.

Mr and Mrs Bump had the same idea and were trying unsuccessfully to get some fish to comit suicide.

Photo's below.

Prod in progress

376719_468828189809145_1059993731_n.jpg

529978_468828623142435_311570770_n.jpg

IMG_8687[1].JPG

ok so I took another friday off work. :lol: :lol:

rotating carbon prod has been fitted masthead halyard and mast head runners fitted.

Scored a genny off a magic 25 which fits perfectly.

wicked day for a sail. 10 - 15 knots, dolphins even etnz hooning around in the distance.

beautiful day.

IMG_8812.JPG

IMG_8810.JPG

IMG_8811.JPG

VERY nice... how'd the prod go? didn't get sucked under the boat this time? Mast head still in tacked?

Looking forward to sunday aye.. Should of left the boat down there!

MORE IMPORTANTLY WHY ARE YOU USING RACE SAILS FOR CRUISING?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok so updates on Rafferty rules.

Saturday after watching etnz fail to complete the first and then lose the second race with a stupid port/starboard. I decided that 6 hours on the end of an orbital sander would be a great way to ease the frustration and anger.

It worked :) :)

DSCF5133 com.jpg

DSCF5135 com.jpg

And then today dawned fine with light winds. Perfect for boat painting !!.

So more sanding, take the mudguards off the trailer along with the boarding ladder, rudder and outboard bracket.

Then 3 coats of high build 2 pot undercoat and Rafferty Rules goes gray.

DSCF5158 com.jpg

DSCF5159 com.jpg

DSCF5160 com.jpg

The bad - none of the electrics work, squabs are ok but filthy. Centercase is broken, centerboard needs painting, centerboard winch is broken, deck gear is all pretty f&&ked, rigging screws are all mickey mouse , most running rigging is knackered.

The bad - none of the electrics work, squabs are ok but filthy. Centercase is broken, centerboard needs painting, centerboard winch is broken, deck gear is all pretty f&&ked, rigging screws are all mickey mouse , most running rigging is knackered.

All thats changed in a years time! She has nearly all new deck gear, all of the electrics now work, squabs are being re covered and have been cleaned, c-board has been repaired, faired and painted, with the winch being fixed at the same time,

She's practically a new boat, and the new paintjob will help!

She's actually a really fun boat to sail on!

Ok so longboarding sucks and guide coat sucks too due to it showing how much longboarding you still need to do.

getting there tough.

Incidentally, squabs were washed long ago, electrics fixed, deck gear replaced or refitted. My goal is to make her one of the best wee ross's around without over capitalizing or getting silly with the mods.

we're sailing her hard and enjoying her.

The more we sail her the more she shows us that she's well worth all the effort.

03 oct 001 com.jpg

03 oct 002 com.jpg

Archived