a new toy arrives on whangapaoroa

philstar

Remember also the day I beat Murray Ross in his 780 at Pineharbour with Elliott 7.

That was the best race I ever had, mind you, nerve wracking going to the finish line with the 780 breathing down my neck 2 boat lehgths behind.

centerboard winch fixed. sprayed loads of crc it it, hit it with a hammer while hooking it directly to a battery. wehey it fired up and loads of water dribbled out.

ran it for a while to warm it up and sprayed more crc in it

got the lights working in the boat tonight. electrical system is pretty micky mouse so replacing switchboard and putting in a main battery switch as she doesn't seem to have one.

I have 4 solenoids in the boat which run the centerboard winch. need to strip and clean all the connections and maybe they will be ok.

progress report.

Electrics fixed, deck gear rigged and replaced, centerboard strut repaced and glassed in, squabs washed, interior cleaned. wiring tidied up and repaired, centerboard winch repaired. Centerboard filled, primed, glassed, faired.

sails sorted out 2 mains now on trade me

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =487876451

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =487870988

Jobs to be done -

go through kites and jibs and put the ones I don't want on trade me

finish fairing and painted centerboard

sell electric start outboard and replace with a lighter one.

GO SAILING

IMG_7220 (800x600).jpg

IMG_8506 (800x600).jpg

IMG_8508 (800x600).jpg

IMG_8507 (800x600).jpg

IMG_8505 (800x600).jpg

Want WT's old kevlar main? It would recut into a nice square top to get you going for a little while. Only catch is, you have to race at Weiti ;-) Which isn't really a catch cause it's an awesome place to sail anyway.

I modified one ( Thirsty Work ) a few years ago. They are a very sweet hull shape, easy driven.

Had some good results including the Coastal Classic and Simrad.

Have still got plans I think and could help with modification ideas if you want to go down that road.

Hey beau

I'd LOVE to get my hands on thristy works plans.

I do plan to do mods as time and budget allows. I've spoken to davinci down in nelson and he has done some good mods.

Pm me I'd love to see what you did with the center plate, rig and internal structure

Hey wt she came with a 6 year old never been used set of laminate sails so I'm all good for sails right now. I just need a couple of kites.

cheers

ok news update

centerboard is now in. due to a layer of glass on the board I had to spend several hours under the boat sanding the case so it would go up and down.

Thank goodness for big fo hiabs

18 jul 029.JPG

18 jul 032.JPG

18 jul 036.JPG

FIRST SAIL

So gulf harbour were out racing platus yesterday so we reckoned this was a perfect opportunity to try her out with a chase boat out and around. 20 -25 knots and reef in and she went beautifully.

we had a wee line up against the platu's and then our boom track broke. so we lashed the clew of the main and carried on. Jib looked like crap due to the self tacker shackle in the wrong place. Lots of refinements needed but we'll get there. She feels extremly non sticky down wind surfing just under reefed main and jib. up wind she heels over and powers up.

The racing main looks really nice!!!

Looking forward to the short handed series this summer.

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8651.JPG

IMG_8650.JPG

Nice work! I saw you guys out there when I was watching the platu's. Didn't see the broken boom though. I've got a GBE boom you can use to get you through. If it fits you can have it.

PS. Will drop your prod in Bump's cockpit while i'm up there today.

thanks wt I'll grab that prod as I've just modified a goose neck fitting to go on the bow.

hey boom is ok all we did was pull the track off which is fine as I'm gonna be runnig loose footed mains anyway.

.... due to a layer of glass on the board I had to spend several hours under the boat sanding the case so it would go up and down.

nice one Phil, the board looks excellent.

but on the list of crap jobs involved in doing up neglected boats, that one sounds fairly high up there :). I trust you were lying in the cold winter mud to really get the most out of it.

actually lying on newly laid concrete in the freezing weather. good thing sanding keeps one warm.

we only missed out on the carpet when we brought her.

hey advice needed- what is the best way to attach dyneema stays to the end of a carbon prod?

Archived