Antifoul

Megwyn

So the three paints I have been recommended for the cat are:

Micron extra

Jotun sea quantum

Coppercoat

All at different different price points and different expected lives (2,3 and 10 years).

Cat can be beached and doesn't need regular haul out to service shafts or saildrives. Will be in bayswater or westhaven.

Even reading the above I still cant decide. Any further thoughts?

We are currently tossing up between Altex 10 and Micron Extra.

Still undecided - want at least 3 years out of it.

Will be interested to know what you end up deciding on ab - but Westhaven would be more saline than where we are.

M

Will be interested to know what you end up deciding on ab - but Westhaven would be more saline than where we are.

M

I had micron extra - it worked well, but was too soft, and constant cleaning (soft rag) wore it off.

I sanded it all back and put altex #10 on last winter - much happier with that. harder to clean, but still not hard. seems to be working well, 12 months in. Cheaper too I think

M

I had micron extra - it worked well, but was too soft, and constant cleaning (soft rag) wore it off.

I sanded it all back and put altex #10 on last winter - much happier with that. harder to clean, but still not hard. seems to be working well, 12 months in. Cheaper too I think

IP Ultra is similar to this, Bogger uses it.

Actually the real gucci stuff they use on ships, one step up from the sea quantum only comes in a yuck pinky red. Good stuff but.

I have used Micron 66 before which was really good (lucky i didnt have to pay it was left over from another BIG project) at keeping the growth off and lasted but i couldnt afford to use it again.

then had Trilux on the SR26, this was good and lasted 18months but fouled really quick. it was smooth and didnt stain at the waterline. foul came off easily but grew back really fast, like under a month and she was real dirty.

Then had micron ultra on the GBE, it was OK but in fact pretty average and didnt last long. I also hate the green you get on the waterline.

Tried some seahorse on the marauder but it was only applied on the grid with little preparation so didnt really have much of a chance. It Didnt last long at all, under a year.

Im debating what to put on the marauder right now as its out of the water for winter. Up the river at stillwater with a lot of tidal flow.

It needs to be taken right back and started from scratch. I have half a tin or dover white Micron ultra so was just going to get another 4l of that for a total of 6l and spray it all on.

I was so thinking that I might scrape the bottom (and or use some of the nano shield antifoul remover as i have tin of that) then roll 1 or 2 coats of interprotect and wet sand smooth then just before i put the boat in spray 1 coat of interprotect followed by the antifoul after half an hour or so.

I want a mid/dark grey color, anyone got experience mixing tins to get the desired colour?

It's very hard.

I'll have to look at the tin to check the name of it.

But I went straight to Jotun because they don't sell the stuff I got in the shops.

It's very hard.

I'll have to look at the tin to check the name of it.

But I went straight to Jotun because they don't sell the stuff I got in the shops.

Sounds interesting - let me know?

M

Petite Trinidad Tuffy. Namely the Trinidad SR, but I think the Trinidad is also higher than anything else on the market. Whether that equates to better performance here in NZ, I don't know.

I've got the flash Jotun on and it's the best i've used.

I have got Jotun - after 9 months seem ok ..but still early days...like them all - you still need to keep the bottom clean as poss and not let the silt build up..

With a/fouling is best to try and get 3 coats on high wear areas - liking leading edges

I have used Micron 66 before which was really good (lucky i didnt have to pay it was left over from another BIG project) at keeping the growth off and lasted but i couldnt afford to use it again.

then had Trilux on the SR26, this was good and lasted 18months but fouled really quick. it was smooth and didnt stain at the waterline. foul came off easily but grew back really fast, like under a month and she was real dirty.

Then had micron ultra on the GBE, it was OK but in fact pretty average and didnt last long. I also hate the green you get on the waterline.

Tried some seahorse on the marauder but it was only applied on the grid with little preparation so didnt really have much of a chance. It Didnt last long at all, under a year.

Im debating what to put on the marauder right now as its out of the water for winter. Up the river at stillwater with a lot of tidal flow.

It needs to be taken right back and started from scratch. I have half a tin or dover white Micron ultra so was just going to get another 4l of that for a total of 6l and spray it all on.

I was so thinking that I might scrape the bottom (and or use some of the nano shield antifoul remover as i have tin of that) then roll 1 or 2 coats of interprotect and wet sand smooth then just before i put the boat in spray 1 coat of interprotect followed by the antifoul after half an hour or so.

I want a mid/dark grey color, anyone got experience mixing tins to get the desired colour?

I had trilux on drums of time. Seemed pretty soft, more ablative than hard. It really needed redoing after 12 months. By the time I hauled out (about 2 years) there was very little left on the hull.

I have Ultra on it now. Way harder and much less growth.

From what I understand, if you're using Ultra you should give it plenty of time before putting the boat back in the water - like two days or more - and then avoid scrubbing or water blasting it for several months.

Archived