Westhaven - Saturday

Looks like Westhaven will be invaded by Petrol heads on Friday & Saturday. The eastern end of the Marina breakwater will be taken over by the organisers of the Auckland Offshore Power Boat Race.

Given the access difficulties at the moment this will make Westhaven a no go area.

Even going for a beer at the club on Friday night will be a mare!

Even berth holders have been told to get out. We've been advised that we can't park in the area east of the Squaddy and if we do, we'll be towed.

Bloody lovely that. I pay $11k a year to Westhaven for a berth and 2 carparks and they tell me they'll tow my car if I park it near the boat.

Not particularly impressed to be honest.

I discovered that by accident yesterday, no direct advice at all. Some of the piers have signs advising that your car ' will be towed' some don't.

B and C do. A and E don't.

Very poor communication on Westhavens behalf.

There's been piss poor communication from all concerned with the event.

I would expect that westhaven management will have been told what people think of their competence and their parentage is by now.

Hi Guys

I happen to know this event was publicly notified by Auckland City Council in their free newspaper. The event also has a notice to mariners relating to it. This notice was sent to the yacht clubs over two weeks ago. Given modern email it is relatively easy for clubs to forward these on. Bayswater Marina, where I keep my boat, forwards on these notices to marina berth owners. If you email harbourmaster@arc.govt.nz and ask to be put on the notices to mariners list you will receive them hot to your inbox, and that includes all the ones about firework displays. You can bob on the harbour going "Ohhhh, ahhhh, ohhh" then. How jolly nice.

keep smiling

your missing the point E - Westhaven has a duty to notify those of us who have a contractual arrangement with them that they will not meet their obligations in that contract for that period of time. They may actually have done this with their little newsletter that they send with the bill. Having never read it I can't be certain but I suspect they would have - surely - I'll check . . .

newsletter not on website - no news section on website.

As far as I'm aware the only notification that we, as berth holders, have had is a notice taped to the marina pier gate.

I don't live in Auckland City so I don't get their free newspaper. I'm not a member of a yacht club, I don't get notifications that way. I am in a contractual relationship with Westhaven Marina - it'd be bloody nice if they actually told me what was going on directly.

Excellent!

Wouldn't mind going to see hornets on methanol! :D

Crashes, all will agree are the best :shh: :D

Aren't I such a ray of sunshine when everyone is having a rant :twisted:

no issue with the event itself - bloody awesome spectacle - imagine what a street car race would have been like! Quite happy to have to suffer a some inconvenience - just wouldn't have minded knowing about the carparking arrangements - no molah from me for the squadron this w/e.

We'll be going down to watch notwithstanding the likely parking chaos as quite frankly the members bar at the RNZYS is the best place to be to watch this event.

If we're lucky there will be some carnage! Especially as there appears to be a race for production launches.

I am told that the big boats are being craned into and out of the water where the MRX's are moored so that will be an interesting watch as well.

I want to go give a motor a nice run on Saturday and just discovered the now 60ft grandstand is parked clean smack on or is very close to a rounding mark for the fizzies. Cool, I'll leave it parked and just take more beer.

Actually is being that close a good thing? I've seen these boats take off in alsorts of directions at some corners :?

For those in the Westyhaven carpark, if you see a fizz go bad and take out a big ketch off Bayswater, don't suppose you could come pick us out of the water could ya? I'll be the one beating the fizz boat driver with a winch handle. Just though, no need to bother, the boats is steel and very solid steel to boot so there wouldn't be much left of the fizz or probably the drivers.

I'll be the one beating the fizz boat driver with a winch handle

that will just end up like the last handle, didn't you just re model one recently

I discovered that by accident yesterday, no direct advice at all. Some of the piers have signs advising that your car ' will be towed' some don't.

is this the only thing the west haven management is piss poor at ?????????

is this the only thing the west haven management is piss poor at ?????????

Dunno, they've always been very helpful to me over the last 15 years or so.. seem to be decent crew there . Can't blame the westhaven drive works on them, or the curren st access closure.( hopefully that'll be open again soon)

I went down to the island on friday, they only had A B and C blocked off, a very courteous man from the power boat guys told me they only wanted the end past the toilet block for their tents setup on sat and the boats were going in over by pier 21 way.

I think some angst would have been spared if the 've vill tow you' signs were on the correct piers . It was the one on D that had that end fizzing.

A heads up, last time I went to the boat ( lunchtime tues or wed) the lit sign by swashies said Westhaven drive completely closed from Z pier on from the 24th to 28th. ie I assume only access to the piers will be Curran st.

The electronic sign alternates messages. It gives the dates and then flicks over and gives the times.

Took me a few viewings to realise that the closures were from 10 PM to 5 AM (i.e. at night). To start with I was thinking it was going to be a huge hassle.

Archived