Waterline marking with a laser level?

B00B00

I want to raise my waterline and boot stripe slightly at the back and keep it the same at the front. Also rather than having a the same width stripe that effectively tapers off under the stern I want to do get a horizontal line and widen the back as needed to get it the same width when looking at it from the side.

Anyone had any experience doing this and/or has laser level that I could borrow?

I really have no idea how to do it but Im sure i would work it out.

If all else fails I will just put the stripe above my current boot top and remove the old one, this will be OK but then the bow will seem really high and it will taper off at the back.

Im sure this must have been done many times before so someone must have an idea of how to do it!

The boat is out of the water at Stillwater already.

:D easiest way clear water hose fill it up, water finds its own level ,level boat have someone hold one end on the line you want and you walk along and mark height with pencil.1/4 " hose fine x lenght of boat plus some. :thumbup:
:D easiest way clear water hose fill it up, water finds its own level ,level boat have someone hold one end on the line you want and you walk along and mark height with pencil.1/4 " hose fine x lenght of boat plus some. :thumbup:

That assumes the boat is level though, doesn't it.

Clipper is onto it, if you want a laser level, gimme a yell. If you want to do it over the weekend let me know and I'll set it up for you. Dumpy is ok...but you need two people that know a little about what they are doing. Happy to help you out and wouldn't mind a skid up to the tropics, car needs a decent run, round town is killing it. Or I can drop it to Norths on Monday, not using it just now so no hurry and you can take your time.

I did mine this way - great fun with a few beers one evening.

Had to do it at night because the light was to dim at a the distance suitable during the day.

Interestingly, the black lines from the vivid marker i used are still visible 3 years later!! Lasted better than the varnish?!?!

I used a laser level, was easy, hull has to be level sideways but not fore and aft, as long as it points where you want it at each end...

mark it with a pencil every 300mm or so then run the tape down and fair it up as you go... gets tricky around the transom as it curves in sharply...

Thanks for all the input and kind offers guys. I will just borrow my brothers (samin) lazer level and give it a go myself. If i have any questions about how to do it I will ask here as it seems that there is a lot of experience.

Adrian, I had a look at the WT today. Man what a minta well done!

Hey booboo,

did mine with a dumpy when I first put the boat in the water. Same diff as a lazer.....

I ended up with a perfect line, nice and parallel to the water only a mere 50mm under........hmmmm

Did make it easy when I raised it on the first haul out ... 2 years later :)

Thanks for all the input and kind offers guys. I will just borrow my brothers (samin) lazer level and give it a go myself. If i have any questions about how to do it I will ask here as it seems that there is a lot of experience.

Adrian, I had a look at the WT today. Man what a minta well done!

Let me know if you need a hand. I fould it was bets to shoot the line at dusk. It's harder to do it during the day.

Yeah, WT has come up well. In hindsight I probably would have been better off building a new one!

I did mine with a dumpy, but a laser is also fine.

Main thing I did different was I just marked points about every 300mm or so.

Then using Steel Rulers (mostly a 2m one) but also a more flexible 1m one at trickier places, join all the dots

drawing the line with a soft pencil.

It is then much easier to put the masking tape on as you have a continuous line to stick it to.

(Pulling the tape to join the dots is trickier than you think, especially at the stern, the Rulers make it easy.

Archived