marauder mk 2

A few months back there was a real tidy mk 2 marauder for sale on trade me. Not sure if the guy sold it or not and cant find the add anymore. Does anyone have any contact details? Might be keen on it if they still want to sell.

Cheers :thumbup:

Alternatively, if any one knows of a nice standard one for sale give us a PM :D

I think there is one or 2 for sail at westhaven marine brokers.

Im just in the process of doing some transom mod's to my Marauder, not sure if i will open it right up or just do a big duckboard. It already as the taller rig and deeper keel so not in class configuration.

Seriously good boats, sail nicely and seem to be very sea worthy. We have beat into 40kts with 2 reefs and a small amount of jib out, no problem.

DSC_0171 - Copy (2).JPG

There was only 2 Mk 2's ever built and both changed hands quite recently to new owners who are both happy and have no intention of selling. The one you are thinking of in Westhaven was one of them.

Your best bet it to wait until Booboo goes off to some regatta, steal his boat and repaint it before he gets back. But keep that very quite so he doesn't find out ;)

Haha thanks KM

It's a shame we missed out on the mk2 but I will be just as happy with a standard one

Keen for the full GRP aft toilet model

Seen the 2 at west haven and not that keen on them. Don't want to buy a run down shitter :D

It's amazing how many boats on trademe are in such poor states. One persons opinion of exellent condition is not the same as another's

I will have to be patient and wait for a good one me thinks.

Booboo, id be keen to see how your mod works out :thumbup:

I finally got the first coat of paint (interprotect) on the transom after some huge modifications.

Its come out even better than expected and wasn't that much hard work.

I have added some duckboards on either side of the rudder and cut the transom away. the boat feels about 5ft bigger.

Most of the glassing and taping is carbon to keep it all stiff enough.

The duck boards are 25mm high density foam with a layer of 800gm DB on top and 600 on the bottom with the supports made out of the same.

IMG-20120610-00390.jpg

IMG-20120707-00401.jpg

IMG-20120629-00394.jpg

Next stage was glassing the duckboards to the transom. I used 2 layers of 45gm carbon DB for this with a healthy glue cove all around.

the next stage involved a chainsaw......

IMG-20120708-00403.jpg

IMG-20120708-00404.jpg

IMG-20120814-00423.jpg

We then marked and cut out the transom. After that we filled in the cockpit floor and sides with 12mm marine ply, dry fitted everything then sealed it and glued it in place and coved the inside and outside. The next step was to glass the whole lot. We used 450gm E glass DB over the whole lot and then the edges and around the transom with 2 layers of 450gm carbon DB. The central support for the top rudder gudgeon was also covered with carbon all over and a support forward was added. This made it very strong!

Then came the fairing and bogging......

It took 2 lots of bogging and sanding to get it fair but its now come out pretty good. i cant wait to see it painted in daylight to double check how it looked as it was pretty dark when i got the pain on last night.

Next step is to undercoat it, sand it back and top coat it. might have to wait until next weekend for that.

All in all so far its taken me about 10 days work spread out over about 2 months.

Thanks to my brother Samin and Alex (sails on the cool change) who gave me a hand and made it look easy.

IMG-20120814-00425.jpg

IMG-20120817-00430.jpg

IMG-20120817-00435.jpg

I will start by shortening the top and maybe building composite gudgeons just on the rudder itself to stiffen that whole section up. Then maybe build a new one eventually or modify/fix anything suitable that I get my hands on.

The current rudder isn't too bad, its deeper than standard and was replaced in 2004 so there is nothing wrong with it other than being heavy and a bit ugly.

The current rudder isn't too bad, its deeper than standard and was replaced in 2004 so there is nothing wrong with it other than being heavy and a bit ugly.

Bit like me but I was replaced a lot earlier.

Archived