Y88 'Fall Out'??

Any one know any history about this boat. From what I can piece together I think it was owned by Dave Oddie from Oddies marine in Picton. It was then renamed 'VOODOO' and brought up to Hobsonville.

Reason I ask is the sail number on 'VOODOO' is the same number as 'Fall Out' (as stated on the yachting NZ register). Will this be an issue if I want to get a PHRF for 'VOODOO'

Any ideas, Cheers Dan

I have a now-dated register of Y88s which lists Fallout as hull no. 105 (similar generation to Split Decision, Legless, Slipstream) with a sail number of 188. That sound familiar?

From memory, that was the period when they were re-issuing older-generation sail numbers that no longer had a boat attached to them for whatever reason. Other boats in that era were coming out with early-6000 sail numbers but Slipstream also ended up with 325 and Panama Jack and Flash Gordon (some time later) with 423 and 473 respectively.

Ah, what an enjoyable trip down Memory Lane - did any of that help?

Hi Jacris,

With respect to PHRF, the boat would need to be registered on the YNZ register with it's current name and owner but that accepted, there would be no problem.

In theory that applies to any boat racing, a detail which I think caused some entertainment down south a year or so back.

Sailed on Fallout in the 1st 2 years of her life. Launched in 86 and owned by John Bee in Whangarei. The sail number was deliberate (#1 88) Started out very light and for this reason never got officially weighed. Our 1st trip tp Akl for class racing, the rig had only been in the boat a couple of days and we arrived for our 1st race with hours to spare. I think it was Harry Dodson came down to inspect the boat before he went out to race his one. 2 of us were hiding in the quarter berths to make it sit lower in the water. It work and we never got weighed. Problem is the boat was a little under done structurely (holes drilled in every imagineable place) and the hull seemed to go a bit soft and flex around after the 1st season racing. Ended up having to beef it up a bit by replacing some of the drilled out bulkheads but it was never the same. Real weapon upwind in a blow and seemed to carry the #1 longer than the rest of the fleet, but it only translated into podium places and not wins.

Archived