New Wild Thing

Fogg

WTF, Mark knot going me for a change. You must be naughty or really trying to rewrite something WT. Every time I do that Mark pops up to correct the error of my ways so nice to see him picking on someone else for a change :lol:

I don't know what you're talking about?! I'm 100% legit.

Whoops sorry, that's just part of a running joke I have going with Mark. It sure wasn't a stab at you.

Of all the clubs I sail at the WBC handicapper would be the last one I'd send for a one way swim with the fishes.

As for that Bump character.... .
Watch Team Bump, they are cunning and can literally materialise out of nowhere when you least expect it. To this day AA and I can't work out just how they did that but it made one hell of a fun and totally unexpected finish. I think the motor he fitted must have been pinched from either a DeLorean or the Tartis :lol:

I'm very sure that mr bump will be quite happy to share a rum or three with wt.

he's a generous bloke and partitial to the odd rubble dum.

quite right that we should let them finish a race before hiking the handicap. from the looks of the boat on sunday that won't take long. But to finish first, first you must finish

Yeah, the Bump guys are good. They'll keep us honest. Looking forward to this sunday.It's looking like 10-15 SW, so that should be ok for us. We might even fly some down wind sails or something crazy like that!

the WBC handicapper would be the last one I'd send for a one way swim with the fishes.

Very interesting phrasing, I can't help but note that you've not said you won't send him for a wee chat with his maker, only that you'll stop despatching other handicappers once you Have.

I'm not sure who does the handicaps at WBC anymore, but when AA was doing it they were pretty good. Although for what it's worth and all the agro that goes with figuring it out, i'd just use the race track number!

the WBC handicapper would be the last one I'd send for a one way swim with the fishes.

Very interesting phrasing, I can't help but note that you've not said you won't send him for a wee chat with his maker, only that you'll stop despatching other handicappers once you Have.

Never say never ;)
i'd just use the race track number!
Me to. It just seems a lot better way to measure your performance rather than the wild vagrancies of many H/C systems.

Why have both rigging screws and lashing ? Having built nice chainplates I would have thought you would either design to fit the rigging screw... or discarded the screw completely and just lashed the rig ?

Not sure if we're back on racetrack now or not. Although we haven't registered a result, so maybe not.

Got my poor #3 jib back last night along with the new mainsail that also had a couple of small updates. We hung off putting the luf reef eyes in till we saw how the luff curve matched the rig, but it was good straight out of the box, so in the eyes went. The #3 has quite a generous looking kevlar tack patch now! Strong as! It will need to be with our riff raff lot!

Why have both rigging screws and lashing ? Having built nice chainplates I would have thought you would either design to fit the rigging screw... or discarded the screw completely and just lashed the rig ?

It's the recycled rigging from the old mast. It's all too short cause I had to go from eyes up top to swage T-bars. I'm too poor to buy new rigging, and it's life is limited as i'm hoping to experiment with fibre cables in the near future. So no point getting carried away in the intrim.

I think there is merit in rigging screws even with the lashings. It's so hard to re-adjust 10 passes of dynex evenly, only to have it creep and settle again as soon as it loads up. Best to leave it where it is and tune on the screws.. in my opinion.

Hey WT, what have you got under your cockpit/ from you cockpit bulkhead backwards inside?

i.e berths, no berths, storage, 500hp V8 with hell silencer attached or .......???

There are a couple of berths, one on either side. Port side has one about as wide as a standard single mattress. Other side is a bit smaller. There is a channel about 500mm wide off-set to stbd with the outboard well and storage lockers behind it. Motor is a 15hp Merc. WT is actually quite high volume for a 28ft racey kind of boat.

Why do you ask?

Want to buy it?

shes got that hollow sound that little dinghy's have.. She must be light..

You sure you dont have 500hp v8 in there? you were going blindingly quick yesterday with a no3 in in like 4kts of breeze...

Na, I already have more boats than I can use, even after deceasing the fleet by 50%.

I was just wondering what you had as I'm changing my cock-pit exterior to close as what you have. At this stage I'll have a large triple bunk under the middle and 2 long things (sails etc) storage down each side. We are skinny so don't have the wide hips to play with that you have :)

Na, I already have more boats than I can use, even after deceasing the fleet by 50%.

I was just wondering what you had as I'm changing my cock-pit exterior to close as what you have. At this stage I'll have a large triple bunk under the middle and 2 long things (sails etc) storage down each side. We are skinny so don't have the wide hips to play with that you have :)

I'll be at the boat next sunday so you're welcome to come down for a look. WT is far from perfect, but might give some food for thought for your design.

Yeah, we seemed to drift along quite nicely on Sunday!

I don't there will be any kind of result. The RO pulled the plug when we were about 50m from the top mark. So the show was over.

Out of the start there was a tiny bit of wind so it paid to get moving and then go medium right towards the cliffs. Left was dead. We went less right than Public Image and Bump, and managed to sail up a wind line giving us a reasonable lead near the top mark. Don't think you can draw any conclusions from it. Didn't matter what sails you had if there was no wind. Were just had a #3 jib up!

I don't there will be any kind of result. The RO pulled the plug when we were about 50m from the top mark. So the show was over.

To be fair that was after 1 hr 20min of 'racing', and a significant number of boats were still closer to the start line than the top mark...

My master plan with going left was to plug into the 'building southerly'..... first to the wind wins the race.... and avoid the tide comming out of the river on the right if you ever got close enough to the top mark.

If you could drift that fast with a #3, well... I am concerned with all these boats that weight less than our keel, bring on 25knts and a good chop I say :D

Archived