2012 SIMRAD

Jon

Yep, as someone about to start the shorthaul series in a 7m 900kg boat, I'm not looking forward to the Little Barrier race. I'd be keener to do the other course just for some twists and turn.

Perhaps we could ask for that course to be the automatic choice for the sports division in future years, as people who have these kind of boats aren't really looking for a beat/run race. We want a reach! Might help get the bigger boats out of the small boat division.

Even better wouldbe to figure out a course for that division that don't need a liferaft/dinghy for that race

Agreed. The course out and back is utterly boring in my mind. would rather a few corners and some reaching to clock the miles up without going upwind.

Good point raised about the liferaft thing too. I Agree we could bring some of the boats out of the division below to join and have a sportboats division that was slightly more inshore than little barrier and back but same mileage (Kind of like the old 100 miler race track?)

Last year was the first time for me around Little Barrier, I really enjoyed it - feels a bit of an adventure two handed in a small boat. But I'd happily do a course that doesn't require a life raft if it meant more SRs & similar boats entered. Definitely wouldn't want to do all 3 of the small boat courses though.

Smitty you would have done long haul last year which for race 3 is gannet channel then LB but short haul do LB and back with an alternative course if it's going to be a reach each way but what the sporty types are saying is they would rather it the other way around, eg LB and back if it's a reach and the alternative if it's a run/beat.

The thing is the div was originally a traditional boat dominate fleet and the sport div is ralitively new,

If you want a different track for the prod brigade come and see me at the briefing and I will see what can be done for next year.

Jon

I actually really enjoy the little barrier course.

Yes it can be boring but I like the fact that generally on one leg you get a nice spin/gennaker ride.

In a reach/reach its a bit of a lemon though.

The prospect of needing a liferaft and/or getting the puss beaten out of us (E7.4) on a rough day, and/or spending 24 hours to complete the course in no wind and freezing cold at 3am puts us off the sportsboat shorthaul. We raced in it 2 seasons ago and did ok but at the end of the day the bigger/quicker boats were back in W/haven and we were battling outgoing tide @2am in no wind and 2 deg air temp....

The small boat course is a good length for us and lots of turns etc to keep it interesting :) Understand where you guys are coming from tho.

hopefully if he PHRF gods are kind faster coyote will be there in the small boat course as well. no interest in going round little barrier in an oversized dinghy, plus the cost of a liferaft to do it makes it too expensive. Good on those that like it though seems to be enough in both divisions to make it interesting

..... what the sporty types are saying is they would rather it the other way around, eg LB and back if it's a reach and the alternative if it's a run/beat.

I haven't actually completed either courses yet so I'm probably not really in a position to comment, but even the reach/reach to Little Barrier probably isn't what I'd be after as its not much of a race. Course two probably gives us a bit of everything, rather than two dominant legs.

Hopefully this year the Weather will be suitable for us to complete all three races.

Believe me, when I've been out the back of Waiheke in 40kn in a 8m boat 2 handed I was glad of a liferaft.

Don't forget you can buy a raft for less than a new jib, or rent one for less than the cost of a night on the town.

Smitty you would have done long haul last year which for race 3 is gannet channel then LB but short haul do LB and back with an alternative course if it's going to be a reach each way but what the sporty types are saying is they would rather it the other way around, eg LB and back if it's a reach and the alternative if it's a run/beat.

The thing is the div was originally a traditional boat dominate fleet and the sport div is ralitively new,

If you want a different track for the prod brigade come and see me at the briefing and I will see what can be done for next year.

Jon

Not all of us are running prods that have been put in the sports division.....Problem with the 930's still is that we are not all modified ...or in some cases modified to the same degree.

Make handicapping a bit of a minefield!

All looking good, PHRF back at .735 so will see the other small boats out there Saturday.

Come play in the Shorthaul, it'll be more fun than sailing by yourself at the front of the little boats.

The sporties will always be a difficult bunch due to their wildly varying nature, potential speeds and conditions in which they go fast or knot. It's always gonna be very hard to get even a 1/2 decent race between a 30yo small rig planned 3000kg boat and one that's 800kg that carries at least or more sail area.

Jeez are people getting soft ! :lol: :lol: :lol: Once apon a time the LB course was the middle race and the last race went around BOTH Barriers... and that was just the shorthaul !

Due to numerous course changes over the years SSANZ ended up dropping "Barrier" from the series title as it wasn't really relevant when most races never got to a "Barrier"

However... I think keeping the LB course as a option is important for both history/tradition but more importantly as a challenge. The series is meant to be a training ground and stepping stone for those that want to go on to do Round North Island or Round New Zealand type races. If you want to have a short blat around the harbour numerous clubs have two handed divisions in their winter series. SSANZ races are meant to be a step up (and I believe thats part of the appeal). However a reach each way is pretty pointless...hence we have the other course option available.

Secondly on a historical basis the other course tends to suffer more from park ups... and as boats are relatively closer to home this leads to a greater number of withdrawals...

Agree with you Jono. Liferaft is something you don't want to buy but when you need it nothing else will likely do. Still believe owning one is the cheaper option in the long term. Carrying an inflated dingy on a small boat is a nuisance.

I thiink the courses are fine as they are. Little Barrier race is a goody even on a sports boat. The kite ride home last year was fantastic!! Worth the beat there.

The first Sailonline Simrad race is now open for practising, so do tell your relos and chums to come and join in!

There will be short/informal courses set up each day for folks to practise the polar. Those of you who know SOL's Practice Races will be familiar - but otherwise log on, use the Beta version, and each day you will find a bunch of pink dots near the Start where folks in Europe have, the evening before, been running round a short-course. Use the dots as you will - they aren't obstacles but treat them like marks on a regular course!

Practice Race courses are posted in the Practice Racing Forum and all the chat associated with each (Euro) evening race takes place in the course's SailTalk Chatroom.

Hope to see some of you there :thumbup:

Otherwise may I wish all of you participating in the real race a brilliant time and... look forward to seeing the pics and hearing the tales afterwards!! :D

I really enjoyed the little barrier race on the Marshall last year. It was very cool out the back in the dark, EXCEPT when we hoisted the big blue kite and only got as far as the forestay because some twat had the halyard the wrong side of it, then promptly sailed over it and shredded it.. The ogre's face when we had to do the whole downwind slide under 3/4 chicken chute was not pleasant to see, and he only stated smiling when we got 30 knots plus just coming up to Rangi and the little kite came into its own... :D :D :D Very cool race as far as I am concerned but I am not on a sports boat... :wtf: :wtf:

What an awesome fleet of multihulls, 13 !

I certainly can't remember that many before?

And everyone has someone in the fleet to race against.

What time is briefing tonight?

Anyone know if it is ok to have a Climbing Harness instead of a bosuns chair ?

Archived