2012 SIMRAD

Jon

Anyone know if it is ok to have a Climbing Harness instead of a bosuns chair ?

I got ticked off for Cartegory 3 in my boat with a climbing harness not a bosuns chair. So yeah im pretty sure it is.

Bit of a course change for the Smallboat course tomorrow - I'm not too familiar with the channel to the east of Crusoe Island/Sergeant Channel, but as this is not a noted fairway are we ok to sail up the eastern side close to Waiheke? It looks quite shoaly on the charts, and the 2009 Coastguard notice on the yellow Crusoe Rock mark recommends boats stay to the west of the mark:

http://www.coastguard.org.nz/newsdesk_i ... desk_id=31

Plenty of water on the Park point side just be aware that the reef extends well beyond the rock in a NW -SE direction.

But you can go around it if you wish.

Thanks to the great people at SSANZ ill be out and about taking photos tomorrow of the start. I cant guarantee that I can take a photo of every boat but I will try my best.

Please contact me after the race so we can put the photos on the SSANZ site too

thorpecameron@xtra.co.nz or 021 2267662

I wont be able to make it tomorrow and im gutted about it. My car got broken into tonight so I will be spending my Saturday tidying, fixing up my car and trying to figure out exactly what is no longer in my possession :(

Just got back from an unplanned flight over the fleet with Sundreamer. Didn't have my best lens for the job but snapped a few pics of the fleet, will post some up shortly. Oh and it was looking pretty soft in places, not many records broekn today methinks!

Race 1 – Cool Change

I always look forward to this series and have high expectations as I visit the various weather sites in the days leading up to the first start. Luckily the week leading up I was holiday so I was able to get everything organised by the end of Friday. The race start was pretty uneventful, even on port, as everyone had a leisurely sail towards Browns Island. Once underway the code 0 proved the sail ‘to have’ and we made reasonable speed down towards Passage Rock. Fortunately we laid through on the one board. The big focus was concentrating on the shifts and trimming to them. We didn’t do too badly on that leg. Alas!! When rolling up the code 0 the masthead halyard snapped and the lot dropped in the tide. Not too much time lost as Alex dragged it back on board but the realisation that we had no spare halyard set in. The reach to Motuihe green was a mint run for us keeping our distance on the 88s, getting height on Pahi and slowly reeling in the Mercenary. We exercised (too much) caution around Motuihe and the Mercenary slipped through to windward.

Tacking along the eastern side of Motutapu presented its own challenges. Out wider in tide and breeze or in close!! Luckily our depth sounder(aka The Mercenary) found the bottom first. Didn’t seem to cost them much time though as they screwed it around and sailed off. Great ‘good manners’ showed by some crews as they waved us through on port too!! Made through to the top of Motutapu looking OK, and then we needed a kite. Two masthead bags and no halyard! Hoisted the fractional gennie,-no frac. kite, and felt OK for a while but as the breeze backed we were forced further out into the channel. Mercenary executed a peel from mast head gennie to masthead kite and were off. The highlight on the way home was the view of Lion coming down the channel two up with a gennie on. Pretty pedestrian to the finish with a couple of gybes. Took about five minutes to hoist Alex up the mast and re- thread the halyard on the marina.

Raced again today with the Pons and picked up a first on handicap so made up for yesterday in a way. Married sailors need understanding wives and mine is. Very.

Cool weekend and looking forward to the next race.

And I think we need to have a discussion about fairway marks..... again.

Any RAFs being sighted? By my reckoning it is 1 1020 and 2 Y88s. Not my divisions so I'll leave it to the class entrants concerned.

For the record I observed Heartlight reaching back to go aound correctly.

Archived