2012 SIMRAD

Jon

And I think we need to have a discussion about fairway marks..... again.

Any RAFs being sighted? By my reckoning it is 1 1020 and 2 Y88s. Not my divisions so I'll leave it to the class entrants concerned.

For the record I observed Heartlight reaching back to go aound correctly.

It's a bit hard for some of the other class entrants to protest if they didn't see it or even know which boats didn't observe the fairway marks. If everyone started protesting when they see a infringement we would solve the problem very quickly !

Had a great day on Candela. Managed to sail reasonably well and bet the boats we wanted to and a couple of extras. Had a really close finish with Crocodile and just managed to edge ahead of Revolution blues. Had Bays Flyer slowly catching us the whole way down wind but managed to keep him behind us :)

My favorite photo of the day. Bays Flyer behind us :D

Thanks to SSANZ for another great event :clap:

photo.JPG

And I think we need to have a discussion about fairway marks..... again.

Any RAFs being sighted? By my reckoning it is 1 1020 and 2 Y88s. Not my divisions so I'll leave it to the class entrants concerned.

For the record I observed Heartlight reaching back to go aound correctly.

And finishlines.

THE FINISH

9.1 The Finish Line shall be a line between the mast of the SSANZ Committee Boat and the eastern seaward end of Orakei Wharf.

9.2 It is the responsibility of each boat to identify itself and be acknowledged when finishing. At night each boat must illuminate its sail

numbers and contact the RO.

Where in that does it mention 'finish between boat and buoy' or even mention the bloody word Buoy.

A fair few boats didn't seem to read that bit of the SI's. All but one boat realised and finished correctly......... eventually.

And NO the team on the Comm Boat aren't going to correct anyone as that is outside assistance so if you cock it up it's up to you to realise that and correct it.

Huh? Were we supposed to finish inside the buoy? Did some boats get penalized for finishing between the committee boat and the buoy?

As it happens, we finished inside it, but I distinctly remember telling the boss, as we were racing to the finish... "You can go either side of that buoy if you want"... I had re-read the finish line section of the SI's 30mins prior.

There was a small glitch that only affected 1 boat but that was quickly rectified and the boat wasn't disadvantaged. I'm sure they even enjoyed crash dropping that monster kite ;)

Finish AS PER THE SI's.

Wharf + boat = you will get a finish time

Orakei Yellow Race buoy + boat = NO finish time as that isn't the finish line

Anyway -

700 odd photos here. http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii619/Chainsnz/Simrad%20R1%202012/

Raw untouched but downsized. If any really float your boat give me a email addy, one that can handle 3.5mb each photo at full size.

Some are sh*t but some are OK. I think I may need a chat with AC about how to use the thing a bit more proper like before R2.

They are in time sequence so at the start (the 1st 200 odd pics) look for your start but there are some randoms of boat floating around. For the finish look for boats that finished around you and that's where you'll be.

Inadvertantly snapped Whitebait being stalked by a dolphin. I guess the makes sense. Dolphins chasing Whitebait I mean. Sorry.

IMG_0716p.jpg

Other than Farrari, we (Drums of Time) were the only 1020 that Jono could have seen (he trailed us around the course the whole day missing out by a boat length at the finish), but I'm pretty certain we went the correct side of all the marks, never going near the south side of Motuihe channel. If there's a mark I've not noted you can enlighten me.

Pleasant race. First time out since last April and it showed on the wind and downwind. Didn't help getting spit out by a big cruising division boat just as we came on the wind at Motuihe, but we could have tacked away so I take the blame for that.

Our focus was good - just our trim was rusty.

I see SSANZ has protested boats that failed to radio in. Ironic that Mercenary must have touched bottom almost the same time they made their call?

Some Great photos alright Knot Me! I like this one of our medium sized genny - kind of answers the question why its so hard to tight reach with! It looks so different to what it does from on the boat.

We really do have a bigger one but never use it as its almost un-trimable!

R12012534.jpg

This one is cool too. Two elliots, just a few years between them!

We had a pretty good battle around the course with both of them, until we got the blue genny up that is!

R12012612.jpg

And NO the team on the Comm Boat aren't going to correct anyone as that is outside assistance..

The current Rules allow Outside assistance, which is a change from the previous rules:

"41 OUTSIDE HELP

A boat shall not receive help from any outside source, except

(d) unsolicited information from a disinterested source, which may

be another boat in the same race. "

I think it is clear that anyone on the RC boat could offer advice about finishing incorrectly.

Thanks Steve and all, we really enjoyed the race.

Mike, XL

what a great turn out and absoluteley brilliant photography ! cant do that in sydney! no shorthanded much anymore and definiteley no low level flying for flight plans seem hard to organise, but there is a seaplane that takes off near many fleets. i have to look into that. what is the little beastie high n fiber? looks neet with Medium kite!

what is the little beastie high n fiber? looks neet with Medium kite!

High n Fibre is a Vickers 7m. She's hard to put into a category as we race her as sportboat most of the time (with 3 or 4 on Trapezes), but she has all the requirements (cabin, double berth, etc) of a Trailer Yacht so we can race her in events like this. She’s heaps of fun and a very well mannered boat but we do struggle a bit two handed as she has very little form stability and needs crew weight to make her GO! Sailing her two handed feels a bit like driving a V8 on ice - you have all the power you could want but absolutely no ability to use it - but its real fun trying :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thinking about adding Water Ballast to help that and would be keen to hear from anyone that has tried it in a smallish boat.

Here's the BIG kite!

8181.jpg

8184.jpg

8188.jpg

thanks for the reply, like the dayglo biggish kite ! see what you mean about form stability but love the balance fore'n'aft of the rig. think a lot of boats would benefit from moving rig and board back! how many boats built to vickers design? have put a water ballast system in a joggie using storm water pvc pipewith ply bulkhead clamps so removeable but very solid once in. venturi was 4" pipe with telescopicing center with angled shoe leading water to flexible hose and scissor slider gate valves. filled to leeward then a powered up tack 160kgs to windward also helped with punch forward> cheers hope that helps

Fineline - fairly uneventfull, but luckily clean race for us. the start was congested at the pin but with a dive away saw us starting clean, which is how we tried to sail the race. Nearly at Browns as the wind departed for the first time, one would have been tempted to tack, but the lookout ahead showed new lifting breeze. we held in and were off again. down the inside of waiheke a few of the opostion changed to zero's, with the does the sacrifice outweigh the gain senario happening, we all seen to hold relative positions other than Gale force who had made good inroads from behind. towards the bottom end it was a case of chasing then weighting for the new breeze. Up the bottom it was close for our group, but a slow tacking with the number one didin't help ( we had mast pole ring hang ups, curling sheets, and skirting issues like most people ) there were several tidal gains and loses, and lee wind lulls to deal with. luckily one of our competitors tried a wild card route to there loose. We parked after Kauri pt with andar, to watch gale force get through, and notorius water line lenght carry her through. then it was a soulders course home, we two sailed to motutapu, gaining a few lengths on the dr rous, then they changed to their 0/mps and gained them back. at motutapu we went for the masthead A2 which was a good choice, The Dr went vmg running. we didn't recover from gale forces earlier gain and finished 3rd and 3rd. probably 8knots average wind speed, with 13knots max. top speed for the day most likely motoring home from the finish. pleasent day out thanks ssanz

Slight glitch in the photbucket against my machine numbering system.

If you want any pics give me a boat/sail number at the same time just to make sure you get your boat.

Also sorry to a few grumpy servers, all I can say is harden the f*ck up, a 36mb email isn't too big ya softcock :)

Slight glitch in the photbucket against my machine numbering system.

If you want any pics give me a boat/sail number at the same time just to make sure you get your boat.

Also sorry to a few grumpy servers, all I can say is harden the f*ck up, a 36mb email isn't too big ya softcock :)

Hah! Welcome to my world!

Archived