picking stuff up with anchors

rigger

I thought a 150year old anchor was an interesting find when picking up our anchor but this one..... :shock:

Flukey Find

Whenever an anchor is recovered, there is always a chance of finding something unexpected on it. Usually the worst would be tangle of old cable or the odd discarded shopping trolley. However for a Dutch sailor weighing anchor in Austria's Danube River there was much more of a shock in store as he gazed over the side watching the hook come up.

The crew were astonished to find a BMW car hanging from their anchor. Which would be surprise enough – but the shock didn’t end there...as the dead driver was still inside.

The captain of the Dutch riverboat “Janny” had stopped near a hydro-electric power plant and had lowered the anchor, local police reported. But when he raised it, he brought up BMW motor with the corpse of the driver still in the driving seat.

He was believed to be professional driver Herbert Mistelbacher who vanished without a trace in March 2007 and has been reported as missing ever since.

Captain Martin Mannak Holl said: "We thought the anchor was slow coming up and had snagged on something - and then it came up with a car attached to the end.

"It was a bit of a shock - especially when we saw the body inside."

But are we sure this happened, First thing I ask myself is, how big was this boat. I have been on some pretty large vessels, and something like a BMW full of water is a pretty big ask for any winch ontop of the chain and anchor.

I want photos, and not digital :eh:

BMW full of water is a pretty big ask for any winch ontop of the chain and anchor.

Not while it is in the water. They would never lift it clear if the water.

in fact the beamer would actually 'weigh' less in the water - I fear 3021's not to savvy on the laws of 'fisics'!

Quite the oppersite, The BMW wouls weight the same as the water it displaced, once it broke the surface the weight of the water inside becomes additional, as you most likley do know,, If you want to know how much, here you work it out.

I=3h(f(x0)+4f(x1)+2f(x2)+4f(x3)++4f(xn−3)+2f(xn−2)+4f(xn−1)+f(xn))

shouldnt take you long at all

Quite the oppersite, The BMW wouls weight the same as the water it displaced,

No you have baffled yourself with brilliance there mate. While submerged, the beamer weighs less because the water is denser than air and thus the difference between water and steel and air and steel is less. Once the beamer reaches the surface and starts to be raised above it, the mass increases because the air is less dense. Then once you start to lift the trapped water inside, the beamer weighs even more because you have a combined mass of Beamer and water. Displacement is only equal to the same mass per volume of water. In other words, you could have a 1x1metre of Balsa wood and it would float. The amount of water it has displaced could be weighed and it would be the same weight as the block of balsa wood. But if the mass was now a block of lead, it will go straight to the bottom. The mass of water it displaced will never equate to the same weight as the lead, it will still only be 1x1m or 1000Kg. The block of lead could be 10,000Kg. So we can take from that, that you can only ever displace water till the mass and volume are equal to the weight and volume of water. Equal would be say a box of water measuring 1x1m dropped into the surrounding water. It would displace exactly 1x1m of surrounding water which would also weigh in at 1000Kg.

did that make sense, or did I make it complicated sounding???

Thanks Wheels it sounds simple enough. I'm no scientist, but all I know is that something appears to weigh less when I pick it up under water than the same object above water. So I was thinking ok an anchor winch will struggle with that car but it'll get it to the surface. It would still have to have been a reasonably grunty winch though surely?

What you failed to observe and put in your formulae was the fact that the beema was upside down (or down side up as per my earlier post in another thread).

In this situation, the open sunwindow will have a given area, allowing water to flow out quicker once the chassis and wheels break the surface tension and then become exposed. The formuale given fails to allow for this.

There is a mathmaticl portion missing between the two "++".

Further convertibles need a much bigger correction factor.

So the area of the open sunroof x interior volume of water x correction factors for open side windows, convertibles, 2 door vs 4 door vs 5 doors must be applied.

in fact the beamer would actually 'weigh' less in the water - I fear 3021's not to savvy on the laws of 'fisics'!

Quite the oppersite, The BMW wouls weight the same as the water it displaced, once it broke the surface the weight of the water inside becomes additional, as you most likley do know,, If you want to know how much, here you work it out.

I=3h(f(x0)+4f(x1)+2f(x2)+4f(x3)++4f(xn−3)+2f(xn−2)+4f(xn−1)+f(xn))

shouldnt take you long at all

You forgot to do the 4th root of 4f(xn-3) :wink:

I get what you're saying PR but you're taking the piss right? :lol:

DEFINATELY KNOT :!: :!: :!:

Just had a look at the photo again and I now realise that I fogot to allow for the angle of tilt / inclination of the car as it was raised.

The uneven attachment of the crane's lifting strops is clearly shown.

I have assumed a crane is being used because the car is now well forward of the boats anchor fairlead and single warp presumely.

Any tilting / inclination / listing would definately affect the rate of gravity water flow out through the open sunroof window and also on convertibles.

Yes! But wasn't that the answer to what is the meaning of life?

No it was the answer to the question. The problem was that it took so long to come up with the answer, everyone forgot what the question was. Hence why it is a good reply to give, because the question is not known :wink:

In the book, only the reader gets to know what the question was. The actual characters had built the Giant Super Computer Planet Earth which was about to tell them what the Question was when it was demolished to make way for the Highway.

Didn't the program get corrupted by a bunch of bureaucrats who turned up unannounced, thus destroying some millions of years of work?

Archived