B&G Simrad 50 2012

Cameron

quarter pint. day of frustration. everything sounds good in theory but we found out it doesn't work in practice. they say its a team sport. skip, crew and boat showed up but where the feck was the 20 knots? its just painfull for us in those conditions. couldn't see infiltrator ahead when they finished, the conditions suited them. i.e. light airs and they can air some laundry. we fly the biggest we got and its still half the size. windy next 2 times please, thanks in advance. 25 is good building 35 for the downwind.

and a piedy got us.

Thanks to the Reactors & Trackers out today, made for good racing. Wishbone were late on the start, cough cough, splutter, splutter (just making up for trying to start in the division before ours last year) so we yanked up the code zero which carried use nicely to Rocky Bay and as far as bottom end Waiheke.

Managed to pull some boats in crossing Motutapu Channel & rounding Rangi. Overall successful to make up time lost at start and hold our own for the remainder of the race.

Got couple visits from pods of dolphins. In fact they played dodgems with us bouncing themselves or scratching themselves on our rudder. Quite amusing. How do you tell a dolphin to bugger off?

I've decided I'd go broke as a photographer but seeing I took 790 today one or 2 were OK. A small selection (downsided) grabbed quickly of the finish.

Well knot hard to guess who crossed 1st

11.jpg

Another 1st in their Division. Small Sporty's I believe it was

12.jpg

The Hanses take 'keep it tight' literally and provided the best multi-player finish complete with a raft hiding back there.

AAA1.jpg

AAA2.jpg

AAA3.jpg

AAA4.jpg

AAA5.jpg

AAA6.jpg

AAA7.jpg

AAA8.jpg

AAA9.jpg

AAA10.jpg

AAA11.jpg

AAA12.jpg

AAA13.jpg

AAA14.jpg

Some cool effects as twilight arrived.

36.jpg

35.jpg

Pieds havin fun as usual.

20.jpg

21.jpg

It was hard dangerous work out there but we had a security team

27.jpg

Interesting

33.jpg

Great graphics on this SH Sporty Div gun getter

25.jpg

Hey dude, T-shirt + mid winter = WTF???

34.jpg

Two members of the boy band 'One Direction' cross the finish line

31.jpg

I'll suss for more

Some nice pics of the close racing between the Hanses, KM.

Couple more which have been requested but I didn't previously post from the stockpile...

IMG_0719p2.jpg

IMG_0720p5.jpg

Some great shots AC, and some great piloting by Phil - Sundreamer. Quite funny we had an old school fly by, with the comment of I wonder if that's .... Nup I said don't sound like a lawn mower, then low n behold round you guys come with what looked like full flap and nearly on stall speed with the door open. Great stuff thanks to you both :D

Interesting day out. Some bumping at the small boat start, but seems no one did turns? Not my fault :shock: Thought we had a good first third trying to keep up with those with Code0s but then did the usual "how to go uphill slowly" tactic so by the time we got to Billy Goat it was a despondent mooch back home for the grumpies. Tried some gennaker angles but that did not work either. Last gasp fight to the finish with RevBlues and Candela. Worst was to come, dropped my only beer :think: and the bloody outboard fuel cap safety thingy wasn't so that is resting on the sea bed somewhere! Congrats to FX and FCoyote. And SSANZ, great day out.

Yes a bit of dodgems on the start line, but I know at least two of the boats did there turns so good on them, I am sure there were others the should of as well. If any one had the contact details for the owner of Aquaolic (the tracker with red bubbles paint job) it would be appreciated as the Coyote needs a few gel coat repairs. Luckly we were hit right on the gunnal so no big holes.

After extracting ourselves from that we chased FX down to Rocky, very happy that the latest sail purchase was a code zero. From there to the finish we were consistantly a few minute behind. Had a nice gennaker ride down the back of Rangi, before changing to the mast head kite for the run to the finish.

All up a really nice sail in pretty good Coyote weather, hope the same is true in race 2

Great photos there KM... Im the young(er) chap on Hanse Off. I'll PM u or something to see how I can get the higher res versions.

That was an exciting finish with Zita on starboard... she did well to be there after some speedy sailing the in the last leg or two.

It seems we get trounced by the 40's in the light air and have to sail some different wind angles downwind...

All in all, that was a fantastic day - my first short handed, and certainly my favourite race so far! :)

I was a bit busy to take photos but managed to squeeze off a couple...

The morning beckoned... promising a fantastic day on the water

pan-1a.png

Masts everywhere...

Headingout.jpg

Farewell City

HeadingCityVIew.jpg

You thought short sleeves was bad... the central heating on Taeping must have been stuck on...

it seemed getting topless was the only real solution

Taepingheadinout.jpg

Great shots AC and KM. Makes me all homesick out here.. I don't see Satellite Spy at all. Did she race? I'm keen to line up with those guys after their Lazarus recovery in the coastal...

Great photos, especially all those aerial shots.

We had a good race in the Smallboat fleet on Norseman II, had a nice start right at the pin, though once FX unfurled their code 0 to weather of us we got rolled pretty quickly - lot more prods and codes in the Smallboat fleet this year I noticed. Not a very exciting course to Rocky Bay and back but the beat to Billy Goat was interesting, we had a split in the fleet and with the tide still coming in we opted to work the Waiheke shore which seemed to work better than crossing Motuihe channel in the narrow bit. The downwind sail home was a very uneventful, were a bit worried the breeze might die out completely and leave us in Rangi channel with an ebb tide. Tried to keep close to Quarterpint who were sailing slightly higher angles, and with a nice looking little staysail up too just to give the crew something extra to do - col j any idea where all the other 727s are this year?

Two members of the boy band 'One Direction' cross the finish line

31.jpg

I'll suss for more

I'm concerned you speak so knowingly of one Direction....I had to google up who they were!!

Damn nice day out had.

Good race on the Squid overall- but we are lacking in the horsepower department in the light stuff....

Now writing this for the 2nd time as it seems if another person posts while I write mine it does funny things to protocols.

Revolution was making an appearance in short haul spinnakers for the first time in many years. We knew we were up against it based on the course and lack of breeze. The only thing in our favour was the 1020s and Stewarts have their own divisions so we didn't have to factor them in the results, only for pride on the water.

Our plan at the start was to keep clean and fast off the line to get out before being overrun by Code 0s and longer waterlines. This worked ok but the hole 2/3 across didn't help. Snuck around Browns in company of Communique and Romany with Rewi, Delicado and Super Severance all nicely up to weather and just ahead. Nothing much changed for a while as the pecking order established itself with the multis cruising through and the Y88s and Stewarts inching though. We were well underpowered so went for the kite after wondering why it was such an unpopular option. We headed down but forward on boats around us. Had a lovely letterbox drop and climbed back up. This part didn't give us the gains we hoped as a couple of good puffs got the high boats back down to course ok. Total gain for a lot of effort about 10 boat lengths. This turned out to be important as it got us in touch with the bunch in front and we had got through Rewi and dropped Romany. Communique and Sunstone were also struggling in the light breeze.

We went low from Passage. Didn't work well initially but we changed trimming mode and slowly got through HighnFibre, a 1020, Tickled Pink, and Delicado. At the corner we snuck under a couple of Y88s and then put in a quick tack as soon as we hoped we had enough water. This worked well across to Green as we could sail a fat VMG and keep trundling vs the pinchy Y88s. We then did another little tack at Green and then waited for a puff before laying right across to Motutapu. Had a good beat around the top and got back in touch with Super Severance and hung onto the light boats. Then a nice kite ride home, gybing nice and early to get into Rangi light.

As predicted we didn't hold our time and were happy enough to correct out the way we did mid fleet.

All in all a lovely day on the water. Thanks SSANZ.

Hey AC did you get any of the Mighty Mercenary when it wasnt on the bricks? NZL5716

Cheers

Marshy

Not sure, will take a look later.

Cheers

A good overall day for us on the Rattle N Rum.

We got away to a very good start at the Windward end of the line with pace and held our position nicely going into the hole at Browns Island.

A few of our division tacked away when the first knock came and headed north towards Rangi which got me a bit concerned but looking ahead seeing the big boats with eased sheets pasts Motuhie and a small lifting puff coming down from the passage I could see no way that they would do any good so we carried on. Sure enough as planned the lift came and we were off with the code zero eased sheets past browns with the northern boats all stuck up in no wind and having to hoist kites to get out of there. Our biggest gains of the day were made right there.

We set up for the long reach to passage rock and hiked it down hard. We looked back and were glad to see the rest of our division caught up with all the traffic from other divisions while we were relatively clear. Marshy on the Mercenary was the only boat from our division that was appearing out of the mass of boats behind so we kept a good eye on him.

Eventually we saw the Pepe start to gain rapidly on us with their big squaretop main and Code Zero setting nicely. We tried our hardest to hold them off but they managed to roll us just before passage rock, our only answer to this was to have another beer as we knew it was inevitable . We went around passage rock about 2 boat lengths behind them and both set our zeros again, it ended up being too tight and breezy for us to hold ours and so we dropped and went back to jib before we broke something or ended up to far to leeward. Pepe managed to hold theirs a bit longer and made a small gain but eventually they had to drop and go to a headsail as well. We were no match for their waterline length 2 sailing and they pulled away to have a good lead by the time we got to Motuihe. The other fully turboed R930 ‘No worries’ also put a lot of time on us to be only about 100m behind as we rounded the southern tip of Motuihe island. We decided to chuck a tack back into the beach to avoid the tide and come into the channel with some height so we could just clear the green mark rather than having to tack back up the channel like pepe. This ended up good as we came into the channel from uptide and sailed fast slightly cracked into the mark while they were plowing straight into it. We made some big gains here and were back to within 2 boat lengths of the Pepe. On the beat through the channel everyone compressed up to us and the game closed up a lot with Mercenary, fast company and Cool Change not far behind. We had a nice little match race with Pepe beating into the shore of Motutapu just missing marshys rock and avoiding the tide. They slowly pulled away upwind as soon as we got into the real breeze and sailed away to have a decent lead at the top. We managed to hold off the No worries upwind which surprised us and were more than happy with our position at the top.

We set the gennaker as we thought it was going to be fairly tight and the breeze was going to build but decided to peel to the masthead spinnaker to get more depth as I wanted to stay close to the rangi shore to keep in the accelerated flow along the side of the island down by Rangi light. Rich pulled off the glamour peel and the kite stayed set though out the whole exercise. I think it was even better than we could have done fully crewed!

No Worries was going very fast with a massive running gennaker set off a rotating prod and sailed right up to us, they tried a few times to get past to leeward eventually deciding to go above us. I let them roll us as the breeze had already lifted enough for me to consider gybing back in and would rather have them outside us. We chucked a quick gybe inshore while they carried on, Pepe had also carried on a fair distance so I really wanted to be the inside boat for the turn especially if the breeze build and the downwind angles reduced with the increased pressure. When no worries finally gybed they were pointing at us and a few hundred meters behind so that was a good gain, we had also gained a lot on pepe who were a long way to leeward and just ahead but having a tighter faster angle as we soaked down the channel towards North Head, I was hoping the breeze was going to really build which would have given us the better angle but it never really eventuated.. No worries eventually caught up to us again and tried again to roll through to leeward 3-4 times before putting the bow up to go above. Again I was happy to let them go as I wanted to have them outside us. This is where having the spinnaker up and not a gennaker like them really paid as I could completely dictate the angles we were sailing to stay in the pressure and keep ourselves positioned nicely against them, where as they had less options. We ended up beating No worries by 2 minutes on line.

Pepe sailed a very good clean race to finish 3 and a half minutes in front and take the gun and handicap double (we gave them time on PHRF).

We could see marshy on the mercenary behind us with the MASSIVE mumm 36 spinnaker up, we worked out that we had to beat him by over 10minutes to get him on handicap and but he was just over 8minutes behind putting us back to 3rd on PHRF. Still we were pretty happy with the end result of 2nd on line and 3rd on PHRF, it’s a good start to the series.

Thanks to SSANZ and well done to the Pepe for a good race.

Looking forward to the next race.

Cheers

Josh

photo_3853.jpg

IMG_0785cs - Copy.jpg

Archived